Five traits a guy should have before you get serious...

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I assume this is the right forum for this. It just popped up into Yahoo.

http://dating.personals.yahoo.com/s...aits-a-guy-should-have-before-you-get-serious

Dating Trait #1: He Knows What He Wants
Any guy you're serious about should be able to articulate his long-term goals and passions (sorry, fantasy football and Xbox don't count). He can't ally himself with you until he has a sense of how he envisions his life in the future... and how you fit in. "If a man has no idea what he wants to be when he 'grows up,' then it will be impossible for him to commit to you," says Dobransky.
Don't assume he'll work things out, because when he does, you may realize his ambitions don't mesh with yours. "This mistake has contributed to the starter-marriage phenomenon, in which couples in their 20s and 30s suddenly realize they're going in different directions and divorce at an early age," says Dobransky. "It's preventable as long as you're both clear about your plans."

Dating Trait #2: He Has a Sunny Outlook
A recent study led by the University of Oregon found that women who had upbeat partners felt more satisfied in their relationships and -- this is huge -- that the man's level of optimism determined the relationship's staying power. Not only is it nice to have someone help you see the silver lining of a situation that totally sucks, but cheerful guys are good at keeping things in perspective, so they don't let little conflicts get to them and can go with the flow.
Along with having an optimistic POV, it's also crucial that the guy you're seeing can make you laugh. "It's an important stress valve for any couple," says Les Parrott, PhD, coauthor of "Trading Places."
"Having a sense of humor helps you weather the rough patches that you'll inevitably encounter together." It shows that he is able to let loose and doesn't take things too seriously. Plus, you'll have a better time together if you can see the funny side of things.

Dating Trait #3: He's Open to Changing for You
It's true you may not be able to change a man, but a guy should want to change for you. If a facet of his behavior irks you (for example, maybe he's not attentive enough in certain circumstances), he should be game to hear you out, listen to how you'd like him to do things differently, and then act on those suggestions. "When a guy is truly in love, he is more self-reflective and will work on the aspects of himself that bother you," says Diana Kirschner, PhD, author of "Love in 90 Days." "Studies have found that successful married couples change each other quite a bit over time."
More important, a man needs to have the capacity to transform and grow with you -- e.g., he takes an interest in going to art galleries with you, even if he's more of a couch-and-ESPN kind of guy. "If he's not willing to expand his interests to mesh with yours, you're going to outpace him," explains Kirschner. "It's likely you'll grow restless, and the relationship will become stale."

Dating Trait #4: He's Still a Little Mysterious
The beginning of a relationship is always exciting because you're just getting to know each other. But even after the newness wears off, it's essential that a man keeps you guessing. "If you can never quite pin down what makes him tick, that's actually a healthy thing," says Kirschner. Although at first you might feel more bonded to a guy who shares tons of personal info with you, over time, you risk losing the intrigue that pulled you to him initially. You might start to see him as more of a friend than a romantic partner.
Of course, you want him to open up about topics like his family, but he should keep some boundaries too. Relating every detail of his life (think updates on his nasty toe fungus) is relationship-killing TMI. A good gauge in the early stages of coupledom: He doesn't spill all about his pals. "It's an indicator that he understands how to keep things private," says Kirschner.

Dating Trait #5: He's Responsible with Money
Besides giving you a heads-up about money-related conflicts you might encounter in the future (one of the topics long-term couples argue about most), how a guy handles cash reveals a lot about his character. Positive signs: He keeps the receipt after paying for a meal, or you notice several credit-card offers in his stack of mail (it may indicate he has good credit).
"A man who doesn't track his money shows a lack of patience and self-control," says Dobransky. "In fact, guys who are financially reckless share many traits with men who cheat." But you also don't want to be with a tightwad. If a dude doesn't splurge now and then, it may mean he'll be stingy in other ways, such as compromising during a fight.

What do you think?

I think number 3 is a bunch of crap, but the other 4 sound reasonable enough I guess.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think people lie on quizzes about love and sex, relationships and marriage. They put down the "correct" answer.

"No, I don't care what a guy looks like as long as he has a sense of humor," said Nancy R. from Toledo, Ohio.

"Hot damn," replied Larry the Cable Guy.

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
I disagree with you re: number 3. I don't think the article means that only the guy should change and change completely.

Both partners have to be open about changing bits of themselves to better fit together into a couple rather than two individuals who spend an inordinate amount of time together. A guy should be willing to change and adapt for the woman he loves just as a woman should for her man. This doesn't mean changing huge, personality-defining aspects of yourself, just some little things.

For example, I feel like my BF is not affectionate enough. I told him so and he hasn't changed much. This has changed the way I feel about him. Conversely, he's asked me to be less physical, and I have, which also has altered the way I relate to him. He's not meeting me in the middle as I'm doing the changing myself for him and he is not changing for me. See the tension?

I don't think this relationship has much of a future, hmm...

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I dunno, alley. Mr. Cranky has all those traits and then some. Though I will say that if #3 is important to someone, they'd best be willing to work on themselves instead of expecting only their partner to "change".

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
For example, I feel like my BF is not affectionate enough. I told him so and he hasn't changed much. This has changed the way I feel about him. Conversely, he's asked me to be less physical, and I have, which also has altered the way I relate to him. He's not meeting me in the middle as I'm doing the changing myself for him and he is not changing for me. See the tension?

I would argue that that is a case on incompatibility.

Zipotes

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know, I have my own 'top traits'. Mysterious wouldn't be high on my list either. Only in fiction.

Mel

Never be completely back to normal.
Registered
Reaction score
A person should only change when and because they want to, not because someone else wants them to change. Help each other, yes, if that's the case, which it was with my husband and myself.

Oh, come on, if you can't share details of toe fungus then what can you share? ;) Sorry, guess we've been married so long there isn't much my husband and I don't know about each other. I'm not fond of mystery in another person and neither is he.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The seem to have forgotten a really big one-SINGLE

selkn.asrai

Rawr.
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure I agree on no. 4--I don't feel anything less for my boyfriend because I know him so well--and maybe they're talking about TMI early in the relationship, but if he told me he had a toe fungus, I wouldn't be grossed out. I'd tell him he should go to the doctor if it gets bad. I'm all about honesty and openness in the relationship, and so is he. As Quince says in Meet Joe Black, you're free to love each other completely and totally with no fear because you know everything about one another.

I'm not sure I understand the aversion to a romantic partner being looked at as a friend either. But maybe they mean "instead of" more than "along with."

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I'm none of these things.

Line forms to the right.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Yeah not a fan of #3 either. I mean reading it I guess they are talking about it being mutual, that as you get to know someone, you have to evolve together, grow, compromise etc. But I worry about #3 being read as, "Once he's in the relationship then you can make him the guy you want him to be." Because I know a lot of women who have that opinion, and it is so very very wrong.

So yeah, nothing wrong with #3 I guess as it is written here, but a very dangerous point to make considering how many women already view the subject.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
So yeah, nothing wrong with #3 I guess as it is written here, but a very dangerous point to make considering how many women already view the subject.

Considering that this article was written for Cosmo, you have a good point.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
See, I could do without #2. I'd have to smack the smile off of Mr. Sunshine's face the first time he greeted one of my 'moods' with a cry of "Let's turn that frown upside down!"

I am suspicious of people who are always upbeat.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
And...the other side of the coin. 5 traits a guy should look for in a girl...

Dating Trait #1: She Knows What YOU Want
Dating Trait #2: She Has a Sunny Vacation Property
Dating Trait #3: She's Open to Changing for You
Dating Trait #4: She's Open to being the Little Mrs.
Dating Trait #5: She's independently Wealthy and willing to share the wealth

This is OP.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Dating Trait #1: She Knows What YOU Want
Dating Trait #2: She Has a Sunny Vacation Property
Dating Trait #3: She's Open to Changing for You
Dating Trait #4: She's Open to being the Little Mrs.
Dating Trait #5: She's independently Wealthy and willing to share the wealth

This is OP.
QFT.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
See, I could do without #2. I'd have to smack the smile off of Mr. Sunshine's face the first time he greeted one of my 'moods' with a cry of "Let's turn that frown upside down!"

I am suspicious of people who are always upbeat.
My friend's wife looked at him once and said "I'm getting a little f***ing tired of your happiness."

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
I only require that he: Always be in The Mood.

Ah, you think I have debauchery on the mind.
Not so.

He must be in The Mood to walk silently as I shop.
Do NOT tell me 'you don't need that', or I will buy alllll they have in stock.
He must be in The Mood to whip out the Mastercard.
He must be in The Mood to enjoy whatever the bloody hell I decided to make for dinner.

come to think on it...this list could get rather long...:e2file:

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure about #4. There's a fine line between "Being a little mysterious" and "Being a little mysterious about the fact that he's banging Bambi Bimbolina and her twin sister on the side while making you think he's off with his pals." Speaking from experience on this one....

ETA - I don't think I'd want a guy to go shopping with me unless I needed him there to try on stuff. I'm with the big jungle cats on this one. I hunt alone...

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
"I'm getting a little f***ing tired of your happiness."

YAY

This is from Cosmo? Ah, that explains it. I'd like to publish my own women's magazine, but it would be a distilled, to-the-point version, for women who don't need things spelled out for them. That list, for example, would go as follows:

Dating Trait #1: He's not a douchebag.

Dating Traits #2-5: See Dating Trait #1.