PDA

View Full Version : Fans of Anne of Green Gables and Road to Avonlea

brainstorm77
03-09-2009, 01:32 PM
*sigh* I just loved these :) Anyone else share my love?:D

caromora
03-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Yes! I've loved them since I was a kid. Megan Follows was perfect as Anne. In fact, the whole cast was perfect, IMO.

Ken
03-09-2009, 01:46 PM
...read Anne a long time back. Great read :-)

alleycat
03-09-2009, 01:50 PM
They used to show those on PBS about once a year, but it's been a while since I've seen them. Anne is definitely a classic.

brainstorm77
03-09-2009, 01:55 PM
I have the box set of Anne Books .. Mom gave them to me one christmas .. I've still yet to read them all. Always made me want to go to PEI in the summer :)

brainstorm77
03-09-2009, 03:56 PM
:D http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/jackie6977/38940772_cf5345b580.jpg

firedrake
03-09-2009, 05:41 PM
I loved them. I loved the books and I loved the programmes. So beautifully filmed. I wanted to move there!!!!

Leah J. Utas
03-09-2009, 05:45 PM
I love the Anne books. They have a charm that improves with each reading.

LaurieD
03-09-2009, 06:35 PM
I have Anne of Green Gables through Anne's House of Dreams and love each one. Being a redhead, I could relate every time Gilbert Blythe called her "Carrots" - though I never dyed my hair green in an attempt to go "a beautiful raven black"...

Kathleen42
03-09-2009, 06:38 PM
I love the first Kevin Sullivan production of Anne of Green Gables. I can tolerate and see some value in Anne of Green Gables, The Sequel. I wish to round up and burn every copy of Anne of Green Gables, The Continuing Story.

Kathleen42
03-09-2009, 06:39 PM
I have Anne of Green Gables through Anne's House of Dreams and love each one. Being a redhead, I could relate every time Gilbert Blythe called her "Carrots" - though I never dyed my hair green in an attempt to go "a beautiful raven black"...

I love House of Dreams why Kevin SUllivan thought it would be better to stick Anne in a nun's outfit running around war-torn Europe and making homemade bombs, I have no clue.

ChaosTitan
03-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Someone else remembers "Avonlea!" I adored that show when it aired on the Disney Channel. Sarah Stanley and her cousins. *happy sigh* It urged me to seek out two of LM Montgomery's other books (The Story Girl, The Golden Road), on which this series is based, and they are two of my very favorite books.

trickywoo
03-09-2009, 06:43 PM
I love House of Dreams why Kevin SUllivan thought it would be better to stick Anne in a nun's outfit running around war-torn Europe and making homemade bombs, I have no clue.

I know! So bizarre - the rest of the series offered plenty of great material for a sequel.

I love all of Montgomery's stuff and reread them regularly. I liked how they adapted quite a bit for the Road to Avonlea series.

childeroland
03-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Has anyone seen or heard anything about A New Beginning? It's about Anne's days before the Cuthberts.

DMarie84
03-09-2009, 11:01 PM
I love them too! I actually never watched them when I was a kid though; I first watched them five years ago when my freshman year roomie had me watch them.

Kathleen42
03-10-2009, 02:29 AM
I know! So bizarre - the rest of the series offered plenty of great material for a sequel.

I read an interview with Sullivan where he basically said that he saw no reason to remain faithful to the books because he had already strayed away from them slightly with the second miniseries.

Kathleen42
03-10-2009, 02:30 AM
Has anyone seen or heard anything about A New Beginning? It's about Anne's days before the Cuthberts.

I boycotted when I read an article on it. It sounded like they tried to make poor Walter Shirley have a scandalous past that Anne (as a plucky orphan) needed to unravel.

dclary
03-10-2009, 03:07 AM
Anne of the House of Seven Gables was decidedly less good.

brainstorm77
03-10-2009, 02:44 PM
Someone else remembers "Avonlea!" I adored that show when it aired on the Disney Channel. Sarah Stanley and her cousins. *happy sigh* It urged me to seek out two of LM Montgomery's other books (The Story Girl, The Golden Road), on which this series is based, and they are two of my very favorite books.

You can view all the episodes on YouTube :)

kaitlin008
03-10-2009, 05:04 PM
Avonlea!
My mom, sister, and I used to watch it every Sunday while eating macaroni and cheese. It was our Sunday night tradition for years! Sometimes my dad would watch it with us, though he usually would try to find some sort of sports event or something to watch on the TV in my parents' room.

brainstorm77
03-11-2009, 03:45 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/jackie6977/100_1171.jpg

Where I live ... sorta like PEI but Newfoundland :)

firedrake
03-11-2009, 03:53 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/jackie6977/100_1171.jpg

Where I live ... sorta like PEI but Newfoundland :)

How gorgeous...I want to move there!!! Any City Planning vacancies? :D

Smish
03-11-2009, 03:55 AM
Loved them (except the third one, which I think pretty much everyone agrees is horrible) as a kid; still love them as an adult. I watch them when I'm sick :) I also watch the A&E version of Pride & Prejudice and Gone with the Wind when I'm sick...

brainstorm77
03-11-2009, 04:19 AM

This spot is about a 15 min drive from my house :)

Kathleen42
03-11-2009, 04:32 AM

I think you should send he a picture of the rock in winter and tell her how much it costs to buy a head of lettuce :P

brainstorm77
03-11-2009, 04:47 AM
I think you should send he a picture of the rock in winter and tell her how much it costs to buy a head of lettuce :P

Ok we have brutal winters:D But food isn't expensive here. We are not that far north.

firedrake
03-11-2009, 06:18 AM

I can't help myself, I haven't seen that much real water since I moved to the desert.
Don't like lettuce!:D

stormie
03-11-2009, 07:19 PM
This spot is about a 15 min drive from my house :)Oh, nice!

I read Anne of Green Gables for the first time a year ago. Loved it. Never saw it on tv.

And I'm also Anne with an "e" but I don't have red hair.

sassandgroove
03-11-2009, 07:43 PM
I loved the mini series when I was a kid and have them on DVD. I read the books when Iwas in college, and like the mini series less because of it. There are so many delightful things in the books, there was no need to change or compress the way Sulliven did. I'm with Kathleen, if he wanted to tell a story about a nurse looking for her missing husband in WW1, he shouldn't have made it ANNE. I haven't seen that one either. Blasphemous.

As much as I loved the mini series as a kid, I'd love to see it done without the unnecessary changes. I mean, I know changes are necessary, books and movies are separeate media, but some of the changes he made, especially in the second one, don't make sense to me. It was cast so well, though.

I loved the books, but by the last they did seem a little long. Rilla of Ingleside (Rilla being Anne's youngest) felt tacked on to me. Montgomery even dedicated it to the fans who wanted more...so I guess that's why.

I never watched the Avonlea series. I didn't know there were more Montgomery books. I shall have to check them out.

I'm listening to Anne of Green Gables audio book right now. I didn't realized how much she describes the flowers before, I must have skimmed the description when I read it. BUt I am very much enjoying it.

brainstorm77
03-26-2009, 03:10 PM
I have the series of books and I think thats what I will read next :)

kristin724
04-27-2009, 09:17 AM
Yes I liked these books and shows. I have a few of the discs in my netflix queue somewhere. I'm surprised it isn't rerunning anywhere like TV Land or The Hallmark Channel. Nice wholesome stuff. I tend to think of Avonlea, Young Indiana Jones, Christy, and Dr. Quinn all in the same vein and family friendly style yet none are currently found in syndication. Pity.

AnnaC
05-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Absolutely adore this story!

In middle school, my best friend, knowing I was a voracious reader, gave me the first book to read. She handed it to me and said "For my Bosom Friend." When she said that, I kinda thought she was loopy for saying it. It took on a whole new cherished meaning for me after reading the book. Of course I was hooked on the series from then on out. It was only a year or so later that the 1985 Megan Follows version came out and I was thrilled beyond belief. And yes, I got to watch the mini series with that bosom friend of mine! Wow, this thread brought back some wonderful memories!

MissKris
05-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Absolutely adore this story!

In middle school, my best friend, knowing I was a voracious reader, gave me the first book to read. She handed it to me and said "For my Bosom Friend." When she said that, I kinda thought she was loopy for saying it. It took on a whole new cherished meaning for me after reading the book. Of course I was hooked on the series from then on out. It was only a year or so later that the 1985 Megan Follows version came out and I was thrilled beyond belief. And yes, I got to watch the mini series with that bosom friend of mine! Wow, this thread brought back some wonderful memories!

Isn't that awesome?!! I had a "bosom friend", too and we loved to stay up during sleepovers and watch the movies. We'd swoon over Gilbert Blythe. *sigh*

KikiteNeko
05-01-2009, 07:43 PM
Yes to both, but I especially loved Avonlea. Sigh. I remember Disney channel before Hannah Montana... *nostalgia*

brainstorm77
06-15-2009, 01:53 PM
I've never watched Hannah Montana LOL

kristin724
06-18-2009, 10:03 AM
Actually I was just recently surprised to discover both Christy and Dr. Quinn have mysteriously shown up on the of all things Gospel Music Channel. Every night from 4 to 6. I thought these shows were tied up in legal rights with Hallmark. I know the Dr. Quinn and Avonlea dvd sets are quite pricey. I've got the movies somewhere in my netflix queue.

brainstorm77
06-18-2009, 04:26 PM
They are pricey but I would love to have them when I can spare the extra cash :)

kristin724
06-19-2009, 02:03 AM
I just check outed overstock and deepdiscount, and at the latter the sets are half of what they cost retail. You can get the separate Avonlea movies for 10 bucks and the entire Dr. Quinn set is 130, compared to almost 250 in stores. Go figure. There should be a classic Disney channel or something to air Avonlea.

I don't know what's going on with the Hallmark Channel. I never watched it, but Murder She Wrote seems to have disappeared. I also don't recall seeing The Waltons in their lineup anymore, and I for one miss Highway to Heaven. Maybe its all stuff that might not truly hold up today, but it's the good stuff we grew up on, and I would much rather have my nieces watching these shows than the current Disney and Cartoon networks. When raising my nieces I had them watching Star Trek, Quantum Leap, and The Monkees!

As much as they like dress up and old fashioned things, I don't think they'd watch Avonlea and the like now.