PDA

View Full Version : Question about copyright

katatonic
03-09-2009, 10:40 AM
Ok, so in short whats the stance on the use of an idea that's already out there? By that I mean are general ideas fine to use as long as the actual story is different?

I started working on a project early last year but shelved it due to slow progress. I started working on it late last year and early this year found a comic that has the same general plot -- the use of ones lifespan (length of life) as the currency.

Here's the comic in question (http://www.zudacomics.com/node/955)

Obviously my origins are vastly different and the way that its used and monitored but the bones are the same.

Can i go ahead and still use the idea or am i screwed?

thanks

Tsu Dho Nimh
03-09-2009, 02:21 PM
Use it ... ideas are NOT copyrightable, just the way they are expressed.

I can think of three stories that use lifespan as a sort of currency, all are quite different.

katatonic
03-09-2009, 02:46 PM
excellent, thank you

just out of curiosity what are the three stories that use lifespan as a sort of currency?

Tsu Dho Nimh
03-11-2009, 07:40 AM
excellent, thank you

just out of curiosity what are the three stories that use lifespan as a sort of currency?

Don't remember the titles: The basic idea of them is that magic can bring power, but the life-force you use to perform the magic shortens your life ... a few seconds to several years. Despite a similar premise, they were strikingly different plots and style.