Question about copyright

katatonic

Ok, so in short whats the stance on the use of an idea that's already out there? By that I mean are general ideas fine to use as long as the actual story is different?

I started working on a project early last year but shelved it due to slow progress. I started working on it late last year and early this year found a comic that has the same general plot -- the use of ones lifespan (length of life) as the currency.

Here's the comic in question

Obviously my origins are vastly different and the way that its used and monitored but the bones are the same.

Can i go ahead and still use the idea or am i screwed?

thanks

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
Use it ... ideas are NOT copyrightable, just the way they are expressed.

I can think of three stories that use lifespan as a sort of currency, all are quite different.

katatonic

excellent, thank you

just out of curiosity what are the three stories that use lifespan as a sort of currency?

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
excellent, thank you

just out of curiosity what are the three stories that use lifespan as a sort of currency?

Don't remember the titles: The basic idea of them is that magic can bring power, but the life-force you use to perform the magic shortens your life ... a few seconds to several years. Despite a similar premise, they were strikingly different plots and style.