PDA

View Full Version : Help with Groceries - Angel Food Ministries

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-08-2009, 10:14 PM
My sis just told me about this organization today... she and a friend of hers have been using it for a while now. Both say the food is delicious and the savings are hard to beat. I intend to try it this month myself! It helps the distributor, the host church, and the consumer - win/win/win! And they have locations in 35 states.

Angel Food Ministries (http://www.angelfoodministries.com/)

Just a short description: it's a faith-based outreach that is non-denominational, non-profit and you don't have to 'qualify' to purchase groceries through them. You don't have to sit in church to 'pay for the soup'. They put faith-based brochures and literature in the box. There are no applications, no forms to fill out - you just order the month's box ahead of time, and you can add a 'boxed special' if you like - or two. You pay at the time of order and on delivery day, you show up within the specified time with your reciept and a couple boxes and pick up your food.

No limit! If you have a bigger family, you can buy as many boxes as you'll need. The main box costs $30 and contains, on the average, $60 worth of nutritionally balanced food items. For March, this includes steak, chicken, veggies, soup, beans, pasta, etc. There's a 'fresh fruit and veggie' box you can add for another $22 that includes potatoes, onions, cabbage, carrots, apples, oranges, canteloupe and mango. One box is enough to feed a family of four for one week.

There are 'Senior Boxes', too... and 'Non-Allergy Boxes' as well.

Check 'em out! I think all of us need this sort of contact these days... and if we don't, we certainly know someone who does.

misslissy
03-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Just saying, I fully plan on taking advantage of this someday and I know like the senior one would be really great for a college commuter student. As is, I'm on a meal plan. I've heard of them before though and it's an awesome thing.

astonwest
03-09-2009, 02:23 AM
Our church does this...and I've tried the boxes every so often. Most of the time, about half the food is stuff we don't fix, though, so I'm not sure it helps us out as much.

For those who aren't as picky in their food choices as my wife, I imagine it's a great deal. :)

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-09-2009, 02:45 AM
I imagine the extent of need would tend to lessen my own pickiness - I bet it would be the same for a lot of folks in trouble.

Wayne K
03-09-2009, 03:09 AM
I'll eat marbles if they're cheap enough and I'm hungry.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-09-2009, 07:11 PM
Bumpity... I don't want folks who need this to miss it. :)