PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday's child is careful what she wishes for

Perks
03-08-2009, 08:10 AM
We ordered a pizza this evening and my six year old went with me to pick it up. As I waited at the counter to pay, she asked me for a penny to throw into the fountain at the back of the restaurant.

I gave her one and then one extra, with instructions for a wish to be made on my behalf. I realize this is plainly against the wishing rules, but the rules haven't played it quite straight with me either, for all they're worth. And besides, it made her a full inch taller, that mission, being in charge of my wish. I watched her tapping the coins together self-consciously as she slipped through the seated diners, seeing them twist in their chairs to smile at the way she doesn't quite acknowledge that there's anyone else in the room. She always looks like she wants to sparkle and be invisible all at the same time.

She came back to me, nervous smirk a little tighter now that she was empty-handed and too old to finger-fidget in full view of everyone.

"I'll give you a hint about what I wished for," she said.

"Okay." I agreed to risk jinxing it all.

'If I get it, I won't let it change who I am."

P.H.Delarran
03-08-2009, 08:23 AM
quite the character you birthed there, Perks.

Snowstorm
03-08-2009, 08:33 AM
And a fantastic description of the whole thing and your daughter too!

Perks
03-08-2009, 08:47 AM
Thanks, Snow. Sometimes the hardest part of being a parent is keeping a straight face.

Joe270
03-08-2009, 08:49 AM
Nice, Perks. Well written, too.

Susie
03-08-2009, 05:32 PM
So cute, but I wanna know what she wished for. I'll give ya :Cake:! :D

smoothseas
03-08-2009, 06:01 PM
Iíll see Susieís cake and raise her some DARK chocolates! I wanna know, too.

Six is such a wonderful age. And, I loved your little vignette, too. So well-painted.

Perks
03-08-2009, 07:07 PM
I kind of want to know what she wished to, but it would spoil it. Not the wish, of course. I'm not superstitious. She was just so serious, but in full anticipation of how she'd spend the fame or fortune she'd wished for.

She's a hoot.

jubileerocker
03-08-2009, 07:09 PM
That is so cute