Star Trek 3rd Trailer

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
I was before: now I'm just nail-bitingly impatient.

BiggerBoat

Just Shovelin' Chum
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Looks awesome. I can't wait. it's a great trailer, and even my wife (to be sure, not a Trekkie or Trekker) said "Can we go see that?".

J.J Abrams sure is on a lens flare kick. I've noticed them all over Fringe as well.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The lens flares... LOL.

I am all geeked out. I can't wait. I think this is going to be great and for the first time, not tied to any existing Star Trek production (no First Generation, no Enterprise, etc.) so it would have a much broader appeal, I think. I had my doubt about Abrams and a new Star Trek (the last few were not very good) but if trailers can really sell movies, I am solidly sold.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I know someone at Paramount who's already seen it. Said it was amazing, but she's never seen anything Star Trek before. Trailer looks really solid, and I'm not a Trekkie.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I had doubts about Chris Pine as Kirk but the trailers are starting to convince me he could pull it off. I always thought Quinto was an inspired choice to play Spock. I'll be so excited to see the entire cast in action. The "beginning" is always exciting.

And Bruce Greenwood as Pike. Awesome.

Prozyan

Are you one, Herbert?
Registered
Reaction score
I agree, this looks better than it really has any right to be.

scottm

Registered
Reaction score
I agree. When I first heard about this I didn't want it to be good. I wanted to see something in the future of Star Trek, not in the past (but still in our future you know what I mean. Anyway, yeah now I have to go see it.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Hurm.

I still want someone to take these amazing CGI effects, writing, acting abilities and money...and put it into something...ORIGINAL!

Like, say...a teenage boy and his cyborg girlfriend who live on a colossal planet eating starship get embroiled in a massive conspiracy to destroy the galaxy.

Or, say, a hair metal band (in space) travel around trying to evade the villainous Euro-trash-prog-rock band that is trying to steal their groupies.

A man riding a tyrannosaurs rex crashes through an alternate history version of Washington DC on a race against time to prevent the destruction of the South American rain forests.

A steampunk adventure through 18th century Europe involving a deadly new form of weapon and a lot of awesome zeppelins.

A tale of love, loss and regret set in the epic backdrop of a war between two groups of lice living on someone's head.

See! Its not that hard to come up with new ideas!

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Saw the trailer again on the big screen yesterday before Watchmen. I am officially geeked out.

*bites nails*

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Is it May 8th yet? <G>

Like a lot of you, at first I was VERY skeptical. No way they could "replace" our originals.

But...the trailers alone have convinced me that not only can I accept these actors as my characters, I think I might even like them better. (Oooo, is that like, Trekker Blasphamy? <G>)

Sort of like Battlestar Galactica. At first, I was totally skeptical. Totally, NO WAY. Especially when I found out Starbuck had been gender reassigned. <G> But, I think it's even better than the original. They took "campy" and turned it into edgy.

While I hate crowds, and normally won't fight to see new films as soon as they're released...I'll be there for this one. No doubt about it!

Two months and counting... :)

Susan G.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe this is because I'm a Star Wars fan, but just how many of these movies can you guys watch before you say "enough is enough."

How many are there now, like 20?

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Maybe this is because I'm a Star Wars fan, but just how many of these movies can you guys watch before you say "enough is enough."

How many are there now, like 20?

<susan zaps James with a phaser set on high stun>

You don't have to like the franchise. But don't come in here just to kick tribbles, huh?

Actually, I just went on Amazon and did some research. There are ten Star Trek movies -- the new one makes 11.

Guess how many Star Wars movies there are?

The six main films. Plus two Ewok animated movies, two clone wars movies, and one Droids animated movie.

Hmmmm...imagine that.

Some of us actually like both.

Susan G.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
<susan zaps James with a phaser set on high stun>

You don't have to like the franchise. But don't come in here just to kick tribbles, huh?

Actually, I just went on Amazon and did some research. There are ten Star Trek movies -- the new one makes 11.

Guess how many Star Wars movies there are?

The six main films. Plus two Ewok animated movies, two clone wars movies, and one Droids animated movie.

Hmmmm...imagine that.

Some of us actually like both.

Susan G.

Heh, I only watched (and liked) the 6 main films.

I haze Lucas for milking his cash cow as well. It's not like one franchise is any better than the other. I just happen to like Star Wars more than Star Trek.

But I criticize both for not laying the shit to rest years ago. I'm kind of tired of Hollywood putting out regurgitated crap.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in complete agreement with you on Hollywood bringing out original stuff. On the other hand, Star Trek is new to me, since the only exposure I have is a couple of old Shatner episodes and the knowledge that if you're a red shirt, you're in trouble. I never thought any version of Star Trek to seem all that interesting before this one ... (yeah, blasphemy, I'm sure, but I'm probably not the only one out there.) This film might get me interested in the whole series, or maybe it'll be a standalone thing ... either way, I'm looking forward to this one.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Course, we all know Star Trek is fer lightweights.

If you're a real SF fan, you're into the Babylon 5 and Firefly stuff.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Looks good, I'll try to sneak away and see it when no one's looking lest my street cred plummet.

But one does get the niggly impression that perhaps some of parties involved in the making of the film may not actually have watched any TOS episodes.

-Derek

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
From the New York Times artsbeat ...

“I’ve never been a fan of ‘Star Trek,’” J. J. Abrams told a movie theater full of journalists on Monday night – a perfectly reasonable sentiment, except that Mr. Abrams happens to be the director of the big-budget, high-stakes “Star Trek” film that Paramount is releasing in May.

Prozyan

Are you one, Herbert?
Registered
Reaction score
“I’ve never been a fan of ‘Star Trek,’” J. J. Abrams told a movie theater full of journalists on Monday night – a perfectly reasonable sentiment, except that Mr. Abrams happens to be the director of the big-budget, high-stakes “Star Trek” film that Paramount is releasing in May.

But he does have Roberto Orci on board as co-writer and executive producer. Orci is a confirmed "Trekkie" with near encyclopedic knowledge of the entire Trek universe. He's demonstrated this at conventions in the past.

Maybe it equals out? Either way, fans or not, fresh blood was badly needed to helm the Trek franchise. Berman and Braga had lost it.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I think Abrams would bring a "non-Trekkie" mainstream sensibility to the franchise, and he will have tons of Trek fans surrounding him to make sure he didn't insult them or did something stupid... I think it's a good balance. My feeling of the past few films is that they've been stuck with that known universe and can't do anything outside of the box, so to speak. So a prequel helmmed by a non-Trekkie could unclog some of that creativity.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
My feeling of the past few films is that they've been stuck with that known universe and can't do anything outside of the box, so to speak. So a prequel helmmed by a non-Trekkie could unclog some of that creativity.
I think the opposite could be true, they've tried to skip outside the box too often, and fallen flat. The most popular Star Trek movie among fans is still Khan, for good reason. Whales, giant god heads and timewarp ribbons just sucked as story concepts. Depends however what you mean by "the past few films".

-Derek