For the first time in my life...

Sirion

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
"The End"

According to my profile page, I joined Absolute Write June 13th, 2008. A few months before then (while I was a Lurker) I started my first serious try at a novel (The Gateway of the Fallen - had a different title then) around that time. I wrote 50,000 words at first, and was about a dozen or so chapters in. After a few months on Absolute Write (and various other writing resources), I discovered: It was horrible. The tense was wrong, the the adjectives, the verbs, the names, the title....

Almost nothing but the basic premise of the story remains from those days.

Four chapters were cut, because the story didn't really "begin" there. Tens of thousands of words were often tossed aside, simply because I hated the tone or an idea was cliche. The story was turned inside out, plot points were moved around, bloated dialogue was destroyed, and Mary Sues were killed. But, miraculously, I just wrote "The End" on a full novel length manuscript (80,000 words). I never thought it would happen.

What's more, I read a few pages from the beginning - and it didn't suck. :Shrug:

I know, I know -- now the real work begins. Editing Hell, Beta Hell, Query Hell, Editor Hell, Publishing Hell, and Review Hell. Rinse, repeat. Still, it's a big deal to me. I feel like I just got off of a roller coaster. I think the bolded quote in my signature applies to this somewhat: Not all who wander are lost.

Thanks AW! :)

Last edited:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Yay! Congratulations! Enjoy the glow. It is a big deal. And it has to happen before any of the rest of it can.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, and happy revising!

:partyguy:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
smiley-bounce017.gif
smiley-happy096.gif
poze.gif

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Congratulations! Don't forget to enjoy the glow of completing your first draft of your first novel before stepping into the next circle of Writing Hell. It's a huge accomplishment in and of itself!

dragonmedley

Inconsistent AWer
Registered
Reaction score
That is totally awesome!

And I know how you feel, 'cause I've been basically down the same path. AW is da best!

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
:snoopy:
What's more, I read a few pages from the beginning - and it didn't suck. :Shrug:
If you are anywhere as critical of yourself as I am of myself, this is the biggest accomplishment of all. :D
Congrats! I have been on a similar path…and I hope I can claim the same thing in the next couple of months.

Best of luck on your revisions!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Congratulations! There is so much joy and reward to be found in writing those two words THE END. Celebrate your victory before going in for the edit. Congrats!

dreamsofnever

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kellyguentner.com
Congrats!

I found that after finishing my first draft, editing was both hell and a LOT of fun.

I learned a lot about the writing process, and my writing in doing the editing. And it's fun to have the whole story laid before you and take the time to rearrange, delete and add words and scenes and even subplots.

But getting to 'the end' on a first draft is a HUGE accomplishment. Good luck with the next step!