Reaching Word Count Limit But Wanting To Write More

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
When writing a novel with a set word count limit, 80,000 etc, or a short story with one, 1500 words etc, do you sometimes feel toward the end that you’d like to expand a section here and there, even though the work as a whole is solid and complete? And if so, do you find yourself wishing the word count limit could be upped by several hundred or several thousand?

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
If the work is complete, it's complete. I rarely feel the urge to add more to it. That usually comes up as I'm writing--and then I try to find a way to put in what I want without pushing up word count. Sometimes it doesn't work, alas, and then I either cut it, redefine the story, or put the idea I wanted to add into another story.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I always overshoot my word count goal on the first draft. I also trim a lot during revisions, so it all evens out.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Ken. Do novels have word count requirements that are absolute cut-offs? I understand that short stories have these kinds of limits, but longer works?

I can give a little personal feeling on this since I do sometimes have page limits in my day job writing projects. I just write the thing until it's done, frequently going over the limit. It gives me freedom to really concentrate on "tightening" the writing (usually by eliminating unnecessary words, phrases, sentences and paragraphs). Then, on a full read-through I can see the best places where further cuts can be made. My philosophy is it's much easier (and possibly more logical) to write the project through to its end and then cut it down than to write it short and try to pump it up. The latter is more likely (in my hands) to contain adipose tissue instead of good, lean meat.

DaddyCat

Registered
Reaction score
With the type of writing I do, I run into word count or page length limits all the time. I deal with it by writing the draft I want to write at first, then tightening words/sentences/paragraphs successively until I meet the specs. That usually works, but there have been times I've had to sacrifice things I considered useful.

Last edited:

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
It looks like NeuroFizz and I like using the word liposuction machine. :D

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
...sound approach NeuroFizz and Bubastes. I guess it depends in part on how one writes. For me, my first drafts always have sections that need to be elaborated further. I only really see the need for this elaboration after the whole work is done or close to complete and have a sense of what needs to be supported by further details. I do trim excess away of course, but I do much less of this than I do of adding more material. So when I'm approaching the word count limit, of a short story I'm planning to sub to a pub, claustrophobia often arises :) // With novel word count limits, many here speak about 80,000 being the usual target. So I'm only supposing novels have semi-word count limits from this. I guess the word counts limits are actually much more flexible, from what you say, which is good :)

C.M.C.

Archetype
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
It's possible with a short story, but I wouldn't think that it is a common problem for novels. Most of the time, the word count is a ballpark figure of the lower limit. Going over that is usually a good thing, since it leaves plenty of room to edit and still be happy with the size of the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.