PDA

View Full Version : 'Tis a struggle, but sometimes you get paid in ways you don't expect

Perks
03-06-2009, 06:21 AM
I've been getting nowhere with my writing and I keep working at training myself for indifference to those frustrations. Mostly it doesn't work and I feel like crap a good bit of the time.

But today I found a diamond, written in 1764, for AuthorScoop (http://authorscoop.com/)'s 'Quote of the Night' feature. It sucked out a little of the poison. I hope you enjoy it, too.

If the weak hand, that has recorded this tale, has, by its scenes, beguiled the mourner of one hour of sorrow, or, by its moral, taught him to sustain it - the effort, however humble, has not been in vain, nor is the writer unrewarded.
-Ann Radcliffe

A. Hamilton
03-06-2009, 06:31 AM
powerful stuff.

DaddyCat
03-06-2009, 03:39 PM
I wish I'd had that quote to reference for a blog entry last week.

Apropos of nothing, people really loved their commas back then... :D

tehuti88
03-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Very good quote. I try to sustain myself with such thoughts with my own writing, but am not very good at doing so.

Perks
03-07-2009, 12:15 AM
Apropos of nothing, people really loved their commas back then... :DThe commas are ridiculous. I thought about not putting them in, but a quote is a quote.

Glad you guys are enjoying it!

blacbird
03-07-2009, 10:58 AM
I've been getting nowhere with my writing and I keep working at training myself for indifference to those frustrations. Mostly it doesn't work and I feel like crap a good bit of the time.

To paraphrase Mick Jagger/Keith Richards slightly:

You don't always want what you get,
But if you try sometimes,
You might find,
You get what you got coming.

caw

Perks
03-07-2009, 06:38 PM
To paraphrase Mick Jagger/Keith Richards slightly:

But if you try sometimes,
You might find,
You get what you got coming.

caw As I suspected, the nothing I got coming is likely very deserved.