Poisonous Bugs

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
Okay I need info on poisonous insects this time, please. :) Specifically beetles or other bugs like that (not spiders). What would happen if someone, say, consumed 6 or 7 of them. How long would it take them to recover? What kind of symptoms would they have?

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
I found this:
Man dies after eating poison bugs

The Star, October 5, 2001

Bangkok (Thailand) - A 35-year-old man in north-eastern Thailand died after he ate poisonous insects as a snack. The victim suffered from severe diarrheoa and dehydration after eating friend duang fai or fire bug. According to an Agricultural Ministry study, 40 per cent of all insect types in Thailand are beetles and half of those are poisonous.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Most people don't eat insects, even accidentally. You'll probably have more info on poisonous plants than insects, especially where they can be found, what dosage can be lethal, effects and symptoms in horses and humans, etc. My favorites: oleander, ricin, belladonna, strychnine, taxus. And here's the kicker: some people collect those plants into well-guarded 'poison gardens' around the world.

-cb

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
It wasn't an accident it was a prank played by Dylan on Maria in revenge of her covering him with poison ivy while he slept. He didn't mean to poison her, he just wanted to freak her out a little.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
I had a friend of mine who had a bee (yellowjacket) fly into his mouth while he was riding his motorcycle. it stung him in the back of his throat. His throat began to swell. We were close to a hospital and pulled into the emergency entrance. by the time he got inside, he could barely breath.
They gave him a shot of benedryl and something else to make the swelling go down. he was okay within seconds and back to normal within minutes. Hate to think of what would have happened if we weren't close to the hospital.

chevbrock

Registered
Reaction score
I remember hearing a few years ago about a kid that got really sick from eating a slug as a dare. Wasn't so much the slug that was poisonous as the traces of chemicals that were in it.

Palmfrond

cereal killer
Registered
Reaction score
Insects are part of the normal diet of most primates - I wouldn't expect eating a random bug or two to hurt anybody beyond the yuck factor.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Eating a random bug or two is not going to harm you. The estimates are that the average person in the USA swallows about 5 spiders a year.

However, there are numerous toxic insects around. Do a Google search for toxic caterpillars and you'll find there are at least 4 species in the USA that can produce severe reactions. The Puss Moth caterpilar is one of these and produces a cytotoxin in its urticulating spines which can induce severe, often unexpected and unrecognized, reactions.

Most insects and spiders that have venom possess cytotoxic venom although there are a few that have neurotoxic venom and one or two that have some exotic mixes.

There are venomous insects all over the world. Do your research, you'll find something that fits the bill.