Rejected because of arrogance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mihoshi

Registered
Reaction score
Warning: This is half ranting.

I've been sending out a book for several months now, all three publishers I've sent to have rejected it.

I'm wondering if it's because I don't have any other books in the market to compare it too. They always tell you never to say that, but I swear on a stack of Bibles that there has never been a book based on the cat breed Egyptian Mau. Never, not once in the history of writing.

There have been lost of books on the Goddess Bastet, that is supposedly a Mau, and books on Egypt and general cat books that Maus are briefly discussed in - but nothing has gone in depth about the breed more than 100 words.

Does that make it look like I haven't done the proper research? I have figures for market research on people who would be interested in the book & I can back up that I'm more than qualified to write the book, but I get the feeling that the no other book thing is killing me with the publishers. Does anyone have any advice of how to handle that section on a proposal?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Comparison

Mihoshi said:
Warning: This is half ranting.

I've been sending out a book for several months now, all three publishers I've sent to have rejected it.

I'm wondering if it's because I don't have any other books in the market to compare it too. They always tell you never to say that, but I swear on a stack of Bibles that there has never been a book based on the cat breed Egyptian Mau. Never, not once in the history of writing.

There have been lost of books on the Goddess Bastet, that is supposedly a Mau, and books on Egypt and general cat books that Maus are briefly discussed in - but nothing has gone in depth about the breed more than 100 words.

Does that make it look like I haven't done the proper research? I have figures for market research on people who would be interested in the book & I can back up that I'm more than qualified to write the book, but I get the feeling that the no other book thing is killing me with the publishers. Does anyone have any advice of how to handle that section on a proposal?

A book is very seldom rejected because a writer fails to compare it to some other novel. Comparisons can be good and helpful, but I doubt if one novel in ten that was accepted by agents and publishers I've worked with came with comparison novels attached.

Generally speaking, books are rejected for one of two reasons: 1. The editor/agent siomply did not like it, and didn't think it was well written. 2. The editor/agent simply doesn't think the thing is marketable.

But just because no book has been written based on the Egyptian Mau does not mean there haven't been many, many books written that you can compare yours to. You're being far too specific. A book exactly like yours would be a bad comparison, not a good one.

Any book based on any cat breed is a comparison. All you're really saying with comparisons is that if the other book sold well, yours should also sell well.

But, really, comparisons are not deal makers or deal breakers.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Well, you could say that you think there's a gap in the market. It is entirely possible, though, that the market for your book isn't big enough for a publisher to want to take it on. Jamesaritchie is right, though, nobody will reject a good book just because it's unusual; to the contrary.

SRHowen

Erotica is not a four letter word!
Registered
Reaction score
You can compare it to any of the books out there in the Popular Cat Breed Library. Make the selling point that there isnot a guide to owning the Egyptian Mau--though bve very careful that there isn't. At one cat show I went to I saw one--we were thinking of getting a Mau at the time.

I just looked on Amazon and couldn't find one, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. Publishers have to feel there is a market for said book as well.

And you may want to look into the publishers of other cat ownership books.

As to 3 rejections, that's a drop in the bucket.

You may want to consider an agent who would know which publisher wants what.

And you can compare it to those other cat owner books.

My book would be much like The Guide to Owning (whatever)--and would also offer unique tips on caring for this breed of cats.

And so on---it doesn't have to be exactly like your book, just in the same area.

Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.