PDA

View Full Version : Resident AW National Guards: do you keep your sidearms at home when off duty?

Plot Device
03-05-2009, 08:13 AM
You guys do that weekend thing, right? Or the once a month thing or the once-every-six-weeks thing?

So you keep your uniform at home in the closet when you're off duty, right? How about your gun?

Joe270
03-05-2009, 08:37 AM
We keep our guns in our pants.

Are you referring to weapons?

Plot Device
03-05-2009, 08:41 AM
We keep our guns in our pants.

Are you referring to weapons?

You big goof ball! :roll:

Yes, the weapons. I'm asking because ...............

well ........

My friend has a Guardsman living with him temporarilly, and my friend told me tonight he's worried this Guardsman might be thinking about killing himself. I asked my friend about whether or not the guy keeps his sidearm in his bedroom when he's not on duty. My friend said he had no idea and never even realized the possibility that there could be a gun in the room.

So ... I'm asking.

Cranky
03-05-2009, 08:57 AM
My brother is in the Guard, and he doesn't keep his weapon at home. AFAIK, it's locked up in the armory until weekend drills and/or deployments.

Plot Device
03-05-2009, 08:59 AM
My brother is in the Guard, and he doesn't keep his weapon at home. AFAIK, it's locked up in the armory until weekend drills and/or deployments.

That's a relief. :)

kct webber
03-05-2009, 09:46 AM
Former soldier here. The answer is, if you take your gun home, in a civilian vehicle, off post without authorization, or anywhere else, in any other manner, for personal use, you go to jail. Quickly. They will lock down an entire military post for one un-accounted-for weapon. I've seen it happen. A couple times. Arms rooms have very strict accountability proceedures that ensure that every weapon is in before the unit is released. So no. You don't take your weapon home. Uniforms, yes. Much equipment other than weapons, such as packs, boots, winter or summer gear... Yeah, that can come home. But weapons, explosives, etc? Absolutely not.

That said, mistakes can be made. The system is not absolutely foolproof. However, if he had his gun at home, there's a extremely good chance that his unit would have already called everyone back in and locked them down. Or sent the MPs to his house.

sindy9001
03-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Many guys don't keep their "guns" at home. Haha!http://photo-collection.co.cc/img/3177/a08b1010ygij/grin.gif

Plot Device
03-05-2009, 06:35 PM
Former soldier here. The answer is, if you take your gun home, in a civilian vehicle, off post without authorization, or anywhere else, in any other manner, for personal use, you go to jail. Quickly. They will lock down an entire military post for one un-accounted-for weapon. I've seen it happen. A couple times. Arms rooms have very strict accountability proceedures that ensure that every weapon is in before the unit is released. So no. You don't take your weapon home. Uniforms, yes. Much equipment other than weapons, such as packs, boots, winter or summer gear... Yeah, that can come home. But weapons, explosives, etc? Absolutely not.

That said, mistakes can be made. The system is not absolutely foolproof. However, if he had his gun at home, there's a extremely good chance that his unit would have already called everyone back in and locked them down. Or sent the MPs to his house.

Now THIS is the most reassuring news of all.

My friend and I went to dinner together last night to talk. (And before anyone asks, he's JUST a friend, and he's also gay and happily married.) He told me that this guy who has been living with him and his partner for several months now (because the guy has no place else to live) is really depressed, and they've been leaning on him lately to hurry up and move out. But then the guy lost his job on Monday, so now my friend is worried he might be suicidal.

My friend said: "I'm worried that any day now I'm going to walk into his bedroom and find him dead."

And then I pointed out that since he's a soldier in the National Guard he perhaps might commit such an act with his gun. And my friend said he never even thought of that and now he's kinda freaked out about the idea that there could be a gun in the house.