Parable of the Boutiful Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I love the gnostic teachings. I don't know if I totally believe in everything they say, but it DOES provide a very logical explanation for how the God of the Old Testament can be such an angry, veangeful God and the God of the New Testament is all about mercy and grace.

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
I love the gnostic teachings. I don't know if I totally believe in everything they say, but it DOES provide a very logical explanation for how the God of the Old Testament can be such an angry, veangeful God and the God of the New Testament is all about mercy and grace.

well, but this parable is by the Second Temple people who were quite fond of their vengeful God. It's not a Gnostic parable, its just on a Gnostic website.

I'm not sure why Divine Vengeance is a bad thing. And it is not as though horrific Vengeance were not a big part of some Gnostical Systems.

But...I prefer my Gods to be slapped right onto the cosmos as it is and mad as hell and ready for Rightteous Wrath and Vengeance on a regional scale....hence my lack of enthusiasm for the remote abstractions of Gnostic systems.

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure what to comment on, except (...) only think (...) (...) fragments.

Please consider this, you who are wise: If a man has a fine tree, which grows high, all the way to heaven (...) (...) of the soil, and it produces succulent fruit every year with the autumn rains and the spring rains, (...) and in thirst, will he not (...) and guard it (...) to multiply the boughs (?) of (...) from its shoot, to increase (...) and its mass of branches (...)​
F.2 Col.1
(...) your God (...) your hearts (...) (...) with a willing spirit. (...) Shall God establish (...) from your hand? When you rebel, (...) your intentions, will He not confront you, reprove you and reply to your complaint? (...) As for God, His dwelling is in heaven, and his kingdom embraces the lands; in the seas (...) in them, and (...)

I had some associations: "So just remember this, a kiss is just a kiss..."
Not a likely thing to be popular in cave4.

And of course the passages in 1 Enoch about trees and the ordering of heaven...

Status
Not open for further replies.