Does anyone here use Focus Factor, Clear Focus, Focus ADDult or similar products?

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for real-life people's opinions about products like Focus Factor, Clear Focus, Focus ADDult and anything similar. I am an adult ADD person, but I also have moderate hbp and so I can't take adderol, ritalin or anything like that. I would love to find something that works, and we all know that we can't trust commercials. It also seems like I'm finding more and more websites with testimonials that try to appear independant, but really aren't.

Do any of you use supplements like those I mentioned or others that I might not have heard of? I can pick up Focus Factor just about anywhere, but I'm wondering if it's populatiry has more to do with the company's marketing. (Of course I would run anything suggested by my doctor before trying it! :) )

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
Most of these supplements are highest in B vitamins--I know Focus Factor, which some of my patients like to try on their own, has what would be considered almost 8X the recommended daily adult allowance of vitamin B6.

It also has something in it called huperzine (sp?) which is a Chinese plant remedy that has been studied in patients with Alzheimer's dementia in China and is just beginning to be studied in this country.

You probably know already that just because something is "natural" or plant based does not mean it is safe or benign. (See: Foxglove, nightshade) Also, substances sold as herbs or food supplements do not undergo the same vetting from the FDA as do prescription medications, so you don't have a lot of safety information except anecdotes and the word of the seller.

I usually encourage families who are very attached to the idea of vitamin supplements to save money and effort by starting with a regular drugstore multivitamin supplement, not one sold over the Internet. Most drugstore multivitamins contain ample levels of B and other vitamins, and will not be compounded with herbs, etc.

Your hypertension does make some prescription medications for ADHD difficult, but certainly not all. Ask your doctor about medications that are not stimulants.

Wow, this is long. I guess I should have PMed you but oh well.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
No worries, and thank you!!! I know just what you are saying about all-natural not meaning safe nor effective. Money is so tight right now, and I have seen so many herbal supplements that I really wonder if there's anything to them. My ADD is out of control these days and with school, it's getting hard to keep my head in the game. I'm keeping all As, but sometimes it takes me literally all day to outline and write a simple paper.

I'm guessing that my doctor is the next step. I love him, and he really is a great doctor, but he is very anti-medication sometimes. Sometimes, I really do wish he would just pump me full of meds and send me on my way instead of asking me to get a grip. LOL!

Last edited: