Examiner vs. Demand vs. Suite 101

jennifernobile

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kidsandakeyboard.blogspot.com
I see a lot of you guys on here are writing for one or all of these content sites.

Which one do you think is the best? Are they worth the effort?

It seems like you would have to write a lot of articles on a constant basis in order to make any cash. Given the amount of time I have to invest in my writing, I'm wondering if doing these types of sites would take away from other opportunities...

I'm just curious - seems like most of you are enjoying the work you're doing for these sites!

blueobsidian

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writersblocks.blogspot.com
I write for all three (although I just started with Examiner two days ago). Personally, I love them all for different reasons.

With Demand Studios, I find I can make a LOT of money writing list articles and how-to pieces. I don't choose titles that will take much time, so I average about fifteen minutes each and they all pay fifteen bucks. Averaging $60 an hour is AMAZING in my book. I will be making at least $600 this week alone. I have decided to go full-speed with this site because of some money issues I am having right now. They pay every Friday and I am at a point where I would rather have the money immediately than hope a query is accepted.

So far, Examiner seems to have terrific PVs and pay rates. I have only posted two articles and have over 250 hits in about 36 hours. The articles are short and on a subject that I studied in school and do professionally. I'd say they each took me about 30 minutes to write and post. I feel like that time will get faster as I learn more about the site. Posting evergreen content is key on sites like this. It may seem like nothing that I have made $1.50 per article thus far, but they will continue to get traffic.

As for Suite, I love what I have learned there. I've developed quite a bit of knowledge about SEO, which is probably why my Examiner articles are doing well so quickly. My subject is not particularly lucrative and I don't have much evergreen content at Suite in the TV section. However, even if I stop writing for them, my articles will continue to earn money for me and I will recieve a Paypal payment each month. For me, that's not a bad deal. I'm going back to school this fall and am trying to build passive revenue sources to help me pay my bills.

Between these three sites, I am most likely going to make more in March than I do from my day job. But most importantly I am having fun. I never thought someone would pay me to write episode summaries and cast profiles for my favorite Reality shows!!

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
I love both Examiner and Demand Studios. At DS, it will be bone dry for good topics for a while, then suddenly they will release a ton and I can clean up on $$. At Examiner, I love writing about one of my favorite topics (the Orlando theme parks), and I'm getting good views plus I've been invited to a couple of way-cool media events. I recommend both!

Deleted member 42

I don't quite get how Demand Studios works; are you only able to write on the topics they list, or can you come up with your own?

zoomusic

doing it word by word
Registered
Reaction score
I write for Suite101 and Examiner, and am still considering whether to take the plunge and apply to Demand. I'm in the same boat as you--I work 30-40 hours a week at another job, and so I carefully consider how much 'pay-off' I'm getting for the time put in during my writing time, such as 'Is it meeting long term goals?' 'Is it writing that is building a business for the future?' Also, I'm writing a novel and have another fiction project going, and though I don't think those will ever really pay off--I do them b/c that's what I love--I want to make sure I allow/make the time needed to pursue those goals. Eventually, I hope the non-fiction will pay the bills. In 2-3 years, I'm hoping to have built a substantial enough business to go full-time, weaving togther web writing and print and also possibly books and/or teaching.

So, in light of that:

Suite101 seems worth the time/effort so far. I like it b/c I get to choose what topics I want to write, and therefore build a portfolio and gain experience writing about the topics I want to write about. I use some of my Suite articles as writing samples when I apply for online writing work. Also, I've already learned so much there in terms of SEO and web writing. I've only got 10 articles there so far, but I'm already seeing some profit, and I can see how it can snowball and be a good deal in the long run. I like to think of it as a 'future bank account.' As it's been said, Suite is the slow-and-steady tortoise approach.

Examiner, I like b/c I can also write about topics/subjects for them in which I'm very interested, and it gives me further experience with web writing. Plus, I get some exposure here, in my city, and I think that will come in useful at some point. Plus, I see the pennies building to dollars at a rapid pace, so it will pay-off sooner rather than later.

I keep considering Demand...I hear it can be good money. The only thing that makes me unsure if it is a good match for me (and my particular goals) is that it doesn't seem like a place where one can 'build a business,' ie, build a steady returning client base. I'm thinking I might rather put my efforts into doing that, as long as I have the advantage of income from another job. People kind of look at Demand as 'dirty work,' ie, you do it for the money. Not something to get clips or references out of, or even referals. But, it's good to know it is there, and I know many people are making good money there and are happy with it.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Last edited:

inkkognito

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
I keep considering Demand...I hear it can be good money. The only thing that makes me unsure if it is a good match for me (and my particular goals) is that it doesn't seem like a place where one can 'build a business,' ie, build a steady returning client base. I'm thinking I might rather put my efforts into doing that, as long as I have the advantage of income from another job. People kind of look at Demand as 'dirty work,' ie, you do it for the money. Not something to get clips or references out of, or even referals. But, it's good to know it is there, and I know many people are making good money there and are happy with it.
I've been doing some revenue share articles there in the hopes that it might bring in some passive income. That is a very new program, and so far I've only made 25 cents with the rev. shares (it's only been a month), but I'm hoping that program might have some staying power.

zoomusic

doing it word by word
Registered
Reaction score
I've been doing some revenue share articles there in the hopes that it might bring in some passive income. That is a very new program, and so far I've only made 25 cents with the rev. shares (it's only been a month), but I'm hoping that program might have some staying power.

Thanks, Barb. This is really good to know...I've been hearing, through the grapevine, more and more about the revenue sharing program they've recently set up. It's good to hear you are already making profit, and yes, it could be a good thing if it has staying power.

Thrillride

A Suburban Farmer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asuburbanfarmer.com
how difficult is it to get accepted to suite 101?

You should just really apply. While it's true they are getting a little tougher (which, if you think about it is awesome because if you get in you know you're in a place with strong writers = good reputation), people get accepted all the time and it's just hard to say how "hard it is" to get in.

Just go for it! The faster you put it out there, the faster you'll know!

stldenise

Scout Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisebertacchi.wordpress.com
If you apply, make sure you send them strong, non-local type articles for your samples. I got kicked to the curb, and I'm sure its because my samples were too local. Either that, or they thought I suck. But I'm going to pretend it was my samples!

Thrillride

A Suburban Farmer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asuburbanfarmer.com
If you apply, make sure you send them strong, non-local type articles for your samples. I got kicked to the curb, and I'm sure its because my samples were too local. Either that, or they thought I suck. But I'm going to pretend it was my samples!

That was NOT it - you do not suck. It's all so subjective, like anything else.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
What's mostly keeping me from signing up for any of these sites right now is time. I just don't have any. I'm working, going to school, and planning my wedding. After I get married I'm going to try Examiner and one other one where you have to be able to write 10 articles a month. I can't remember right off hand which one that is now.

etrader

Registered
Reaction score
writing for which sites has higher writing credits

I am curious to know which of article accepting sites has higher credits for a professional writer?

I mean writing in which sites provides a professional credit for future careers

In other words, having collaboration with which sites is more advantage in a writer's Resume

:)

etrader

Registered
Reaction score
I mean some sites like examiner.com, suite101.com, and any similar one as I am not aware

lostwanderer5

Registered
Reaction score
For Suit 101 - to increase the chances of acceptance, are some categories better than others to provide writing samples for?

Also, is it better to send samples in a same category, or is it okay to send writings completely different things?

For example, I have various interests and hobbies and so ideally, I prefer to write about a wide variety of things. I just don't want to send one sample in say "Reading and Literature" and another in "Mind & Body" or "TV" and put them off by coming across as too broad ranged.

While I am at it ...one more question. They ask to give a short resume. What if you don't have one? I am just starting out, and currently taking WB course, so I haven't got paid clips to show. I have few things submitted, but only just so I won't hear anything back for quite some time.

Thanks

blueobsidian

Registered
Reaction score
Website
For Suit 101 - to increase the chances of acceptance, are some categories better than others to provide writing samples for?

Also, is it better to send samples in a same category, or is it okay to send writings completely different things?

For example, I have various interests and hobbies and so ideally, I prefer to write about a wide variety of things. I just don't want to send one sample in say "Reading and Literature" and another in "Mind & Body" or "TV" and put them off by coming across as too broad ranged.

Pick one category to focus on for your application (particularly if you have any professional experience in the subject). You can write about anything once you are accepted, but I really believe it helps to narrow the subject matter of your samples down to one main topic. Suite really likes people that have professional experience in areas other than writing, as well.

As for the resume, do you have any other professional or academic experience that might relate to the topic you are sending samples about? Focus on that. I'm a baker and attended culinary school, so I sent food-themed writing samples and a resume highlighting that professional experience. However, I'm now the featured writer for Reality TV.

blueobsidian

Registered
Reaction score
Website
What's mostly keeping me from signing up for any of these sites right now is time. I just don't have any. I'm working, going to school, and planning my wedding. After I get married I'm going to try Examiner and one other one where you have to be able to write 10 articles a month. I can't remember right off hand which one that is now.

You might want to consider Demand Studios first if time is an issue. There are no minimums or requirements. I actually didn't write for them at all for months after I signed up, but my account was waiting for me when I had the time to write. It's a nice place to pick up extra cash when I have a lull at my day job or a lack of other projects.

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
Honestly, I'm not sure that any of those really are considered professional writing sites. I'm not putting down those who write for them (I write for AC and DS), but I don't think editors at national glossys really think much of any of them. Of course I could be wrong.

inkkognito

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Content sites like DS won't count for anything with the biggies (and like Jeffo I write for them so I'm not cutting them down, just stating it like it is). I don't even mention my DS work when querying magazines. Examiner is slightly different because people tend to associate it with the newspapers even tho' it's not directly related to them. I have found that it's good to site for travel-related stuff, but those are the only types of queries I use it for.

etrader

Registered
Reaction score
So let me ask the question in a different manner

if one wishes to apply for a freelance job to write for famous national magazines, which web writings in his/her resume provide sufficient credit for this purpose?

jennifernobile

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kidsandakeyboard.blogspot.com
I think you need to write for nationally recognized websites if you want clips that editors will accept. Content sites will not really help you, based on what I know (and I could be wrong!) Regarding which sites WILL help you, it depends on what market you want to write for...