Epic Server Fail!

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
OK, so I had a paper due today.

I emailed it to myself, instead of taking the jumpdrive.

It wouldn't matter, because my university email (where I intended to send it) was down.

So I sent it to Yahoo!, thinking: well, it'll work.

And lo and behold...I get to the university.

The university email servers are DOWN.

They are downer than..........um....depressants. I guess. I was trying to be witty and failed. Epically.

Gah.

So I go to class. Trying to figure out how I'm going to explain this to my professor, whose kindness naturally (he's a nice guy. He's just human) will run out eventually.

About four other people (....in the class of eight....) have the same problem.

He extends the deadline.

The moral of the story: Use yer jumpdrives!

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
In addition to the email, not in place of it I hope.

"My server ate it" is just another variation of "My dog ate it," though in this case, at least you had fellow sufferers.

Glad your prof's understanding though, Nachonaco.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
what's a jump drive?
like this?:e2bouncey
or like this?:hooray:

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I think they also call them flash drives. Wonderful little thingys. I love them. And they are very cheap to buy. I have all my stuff saved onto them. (Have several.)

swpauthor

Registered
Reaction score
Wake up and smell the technology

Psshh! Paper is archaeic. Pretty soon you won't even find it in public restrooms. They'll just program in control-alt-delete to the septic system.:tongue

What happened to the days where you brought papers in on, well, paper? & I only graduated college in 2002...

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
What happened to the days where you brought papers in on, well, paper? & I only graduated college in 2002...

I still had some work to do on it, so I emailed it to myself so I could work, then print it off at school.

Atani

Registered
Reaction score
In the backwoods, literally...the tiny country tow
I still had some work to do on it, so I emailed it to myself so I could work, then print it off at school.

Well, I can understand that. I depended on email often when I was teaching in grad school to send myself power point presentations & things to use in class. Then, and especially at work now, it is a major tragedy when the Internet and/or email goes down :) Glad you had an understanding professor.

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
"My server ate it" is just another variation of "My dog ate it," though in this case, at least you had fellow sufferers.

My first job was as a teacher. One night I was grading papers and I spilled some guacamole on some papers I was grading. I got up to get a paper towel and the phone rang.

Assisting me in the grading was a youngish lab puppy with whom I'd also been sharing the chips & dip. In case you're not familiar with lab puppies, they do not make a strong distinction between "edible" things such as tortillia chips and "inedible" things such as paper.

By the time I got off the phone my dog had, in fact, eaten the kid's homework.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
And an "email server" doesn't stop yahoo mail which is usually accessed through the Web. I suppose what you meant is the University's whole web access was down.

There wasn't a nearby net cafe or a Kinkos'/Fed-Ex/Whatever they call 'em now things? No doubt there'd be 20 students in line for each computer, trying to print out homework...

Another moral of the story might be "do your homework ahead of time" but I always waited until the last minute when I was in college.