PDA

View Full Version : My thumb is not green - help?!

Perks
03-04-2009, 05:42 PM
For my birthday, I was given a lovely miniature rose bush. It looks beautiful here in my office and I read up on them and they seem to be easy to care for.

They'd need to be.

I have a few plants, but I'm not known for doing anything more complicated than watering and an occasional dose of fertilizer.

My problem is that there are a couple of little flying thingys hovering around my rosebush and, more annoyingly, swirling about in my peripheral vision.

How does one evict pinhead-dancing angels? I can't even slap at them, they're too small.

Bmwhtly
03-04-2009, 05:55 PM
Obtain the services of one of those flicky-tongued lizards.

Unique
03-04-2009, 05:55 PM
Tiny, black flying thingies? You have fungus gnats.
(I never found miniature roses to be all that easy. Sometimes people LIE) ;)

Wayne K
03-04-2009, 05:56 PM
How does one evict pinhead-dancing angels? .
That's a question I never thought I'd be asked. I'm going to Google the little buggers.

Pagey's_Girl
03-04-2009, 05:56 PM
If they're little tiny black flying things, they're fungus gnats. They're harmless, but annoying. You can try letting the potting mix get a little dryer than usual to get rid of them, or there's something I've heard of called Gnatrol that is supposed to work.

If they're little tiny white flying things that look like flying dandruff, those are whiteflies. They're bad. They do damage. You'll need that insecticidal soap spray for them.

Haggis
03-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Aphids. They'll kill that plant in no time.

Lure in a flock of ladybugs. That should take care of it. Or find some neat aphid killing spray at your friendly garden shop.

Better yet, wait for someone who knows what they're talking about to respond. I've never been able to keep one of those miniature plants alive.

Wayne K
03-04-2009, 05:58 PM
I keep getting philosophical questions in search that I don't find very thought provoking.

cray
03-04-2009, 05:58 PM
sounds like a job for some hairspray and a lighter.

lock thread.

Perks
03-04-2009, 05:59 PM
Tiny, black flying thingies? You have fungus gnats.
(I never found miniature roses to be all that easy. Sometimes people LIE) ;)

Fungus gnats? Yuck. I can't tell if they're black. They're in the sunlight and hovery. Sometimes, they swoon and lurch over my way, but I can't seem to catch them and I've got better things to do, anyway. Yay me!

I'll look up 'fungus gnats'.

And I'll be sad if they lied. I like my little rose bush. It has four gorgeous little roses on it and I want more.

Unique
03-04-2009, 06:00 PM
At least you don't have thrips.

Yet.

Perks
03-04-2009, 06:02 PM
I think they're the fungus gnats now that I've given myself eye strain trying to see one go still for half a second.

Pagey's_Girl
03-04-2009, 06:02 PM
I've heard that you have to care for them exactly lie the regular rosebushes if you want them to live - which I tae to mean that they need to go outside. The only one I ever had turned out to be a bunch of branches stuc in a pot without roots, so it didn;t last all that long.

ETA - and apparently I have a ey stuc on my eyboard....

Pagey's_Girl
03-04-2009, 06:06 PM
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

There. Much better...

brad_b
03-04-2009, 06:06 PM
For my birthday, I was given a lovely miniature rose bush. It looks beautiful here in my office and I read up on them and they seem to be easy to care for.

They'd need to be.

I have a few plants, but I'm not known for doing anything more complicated than watering and an occasional dose of fertilizer.

My problem is that there are a couple of little flying thingys hovering around my rosebush and, more annoyingly, swirling about in my peripheral vision.

How does one evict pinhead-dancing angels? I can't even slap at them, they're too small.

Happy Birthday, Perks!!! :) I trust it went well. As for your miniature rose. They require a lot of sun and do better outside, so make sure it's getting plenty of sunlight, and it might be necessary to supplement that with a grow-light. I believe they can be bought in a regular light bulb size these days. Miniature roses also need a lot of water and humidity. Water at least twice a week and by setting the pot in a shallow pan filled with pebbles and water should help keep the humidity up.

As for your little flying thingies, they could be white flies. I pulled this suggestion from a website on miniature roses, I trust it'll help...

Spider mites and whiteflies are drawn to indoor miniature roses. To reduce the chances of these pests attacking your plants, give them a weekly shower. Take care to thoroughly rinse both the tops and the undersides of the leaves. To treat whiteflies, use an insecticidal soap at five day intervals or spray with a solution of four parts water to three parts rubbing alcohol -- add a squirt of dish soap for good measure -- and keep the plant out of the light until the alcohol dries completely.

I hope that helps, I plant a lot of miniature roses in my business and a dash of rose food once in awhile according to the directions helps to encourage budding. Good luck with the rose and let me know how it goes... :)

ETA - I'm pretty sure the above solution will also work for fungus gnats.

Perks
03-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Hmm. I wonder if the alcohol/soap/water mix would work on the fungus gnats? That'd be nice. I've got all that stuff.

I hate nature.

But I like my rosebush.

Thanks, Brad! (And yes, it gets a ton of sun in my office. From dawn until early afternoon. If that's not enough, it's doomed, 'cause I ain't buying a growlight. Damned, demanding nature.

James81
03-04-2009, 06:11 PM
lol they're gnats. You could spray them with potpourri and it'll kill them.

brad_b
03-04-2009, 06:11 PM
Here's the website on growing minature roses indoors (http://www.oldfashionedliving.com/roses.html).

Perks
03-04-2009, 06:15 PM
Perfect. Thank you!

Beach Bunny
03-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Aphids. They'll kill that plant in no time.

Lure in a flock of ladybugs. That should take care of it. Or find some neat aphid killing spray at your friendly garden shop.

Better yet, wait for someone who knows what they're talking about to respond. I've never been able to keep one of those miniature plants alive.

I keep getting philosophical questions in search that I don't find very thought provoking.

sounds like a job for some hairspray and a lighter.

lock thread.

:ROFL: ... You guys are SOOOO helpful. Thank goodness, Brad DOES know what he's talking about.

cray
03-04-2009, 06:36 PM
are you saying my suggestion wouldn't work?
:D

M.R.J. Le Blanc
03-04-2009, 06:41 PM
are you saying my suggestion wouldn't work?
:D

I'm sure it would. But at what cost? :tongue

Williebee
03-04-2009, 06:42 PM
As for your miniature rose. They require a lot of sun and do better outside, so make sure it's getting plenty of sunlight, and it might be necessary to supplement that with a grow-light. I believe they can be bought in a regular light bulb size these days. Miniature roses also need a lot of water and humidity. Water at least twice a week and by setting the pot in a shallow pan filled with pebbles and water should help keep the humidity up.

As for your little flying thingies, they could be white flies. I pulled this suggestion from a website on miniature roses, I trust it'll help...

Spider mites and whiteflies are drawn to indoor miniature roses. To reduce the chances of these pests attacking your plants, give them a weekly shower. Take care to thoroughly rinse both the tops and the undersides of the leaves. To treat whiteflies, use an insecticidal soap at five day intervals or spray with a solution of four parts water to three parts rubbing alcohol -- add a squirt of dish soap for good measure -- and keep the plant out of the light until the alcohol dries completely.

See that, right there? That's already more trouble than I want to go to for a bush, even a pretty one. Probably why "Nothing grows where Williebee goes."

Perks
03-04-2009, 06:50 PM
You know what's really weird? There were two or three of the things bobbing and weaving all over the plant before I started researching how to kill them. (Yes, asking your internet friends is research.) Now I can't see them at all. I'm staring and - oh! - wait, there's one skirting the rim of the planter.

So funny. Either they're psychic, or they can read.

Carole
03-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Dear, who thought it would be a good idea to give you a living thing to care for? I need to have a word with them. :D

I have at least twelve green thumbs, so I'll let you borrow a couple. How bout that?

Almost anything can be controlled without chemicals. Roses are prone to little ickies, but they're easy to get rid of.

Bathe the plant. If it's a miniature rose bush, it shouldn't be too hard to accomplish this. Just run water and gently rub each leaf and the stems under the stream. For the prickly bits, use an old toothbrush or small paintbrush. Make sure to get all the nooks and crannies.

(Edited--just saw the thing about the weekly shower. YES! That is what I do with all my houseplants. It's a great thing. It also flushes out the soil and makes the whole plant healthier.)

If it is covered in blooms, you may have to just say farewell to them and prune them off. Not fun, but it can be almost impossible to get all the ickies from inside the petals. For spotty leaves, be ruthless and cut them off too. Anything that isn't healthy should be cut off because the plant will send its precious energy to the sad parts and the rest of the plant will suffer for it.

Then spray the whole plant with a weak solution of Dawn and water. Simply washing them off gets rid of the ickies, but the Dawn solution will keep them from coming back.

There! Simple, no?

By the way--you can plant the rosebush outside once it gets warmer. They won't grow huge, at least not for a long time, but in the right spot they can be so pretty. They are usually hardy plants. I had two planted in my yard several years ago. Unfortunately, they were so small when I planted them that they were hard to see. The neighbor's dad mowed them flat to the ground twice! (He had this thing about mowing everyone's yards). But they always sprang right back up again.

Perks
03-04-2009, 07:17 PM
Wash my plants? I don't think I understand. What about all the dirt? Do I pull the plant out of the pot?

I'm very confused.

Dear, who thought it would be a good idea to give you a living thing to care for? I need to have a word with them. To channel Jcomp for a moment - word.

Perks
03-04-2009, 07:18 PM
And for the record, my miniature ficus on the other side of my desk is doing beautifully.

Carole
03-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Wash my plants? I don't think I understand. What about all the dirt? Do I pull the plant out of the pot?

I'm very confused.

Hold the green, growey bits--not the dirt--under the water. Leave it in the pot, and hold it by the pot. It should be small enough to do this pretty easily. For a weekly shower, I really do just put the whole shebang in the tub and run the shower over all the plants. but they need to be a little bigger for that--you don't want to lose a lot of dirt in the process.