PDA

View Full Version : Ready or not, the baby is here! Pics on Page 5!

underthecity
03-03-2009, 11:27 PM
March 1 was the due date, and the doctor has done some tests and found out her "fluid was low." So, they made the decision to induce labor, which makes tonight the night the baby is coming.

Suddenly I'm nervous. Should I be nervous? I have about three hours before we leave for the hospital.

IceCreamEmpress
03-03-2009, 11:30 PM
March 1 was the due date, and the doctor has done some tests and found out her "fluid was low." So, they made the decision to induce labor, which makes tonight the night the baby is coming.

Suddenly I'm nervous. Should I be nervous? I have about three hours before we leave for the hospital.

Of course you should be nervous--your wife is bringing a whole new person (that you helped make) into the world.

Low amniotic fluid is not a huge deal these days, so please don't be too nervous about that; they'll be ready to cope with it. My thoughts and/or prayers (whichever you prefer) will be with you all.

melaniehoo
03-03-2009, 11:30 PM
I think it's too late for nervousness. :tongue

Good luck!

cray
03-03-2009, 11:32 PM
best wishes, allen!

Rarri
03-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Hope all goes well.

Being nervous is normal :)

WendyNYC
03-03-2009, 11:34 PM
Low amniotic fluid is not a huge deal these days, so please don't be too nervous about that; they'll be ready to cope with it. My thoughts and/or prayers (whichever you prefer) will be with you all.

Agree. I had low fluid with one of mine, and it all went okay. Don't be nervous about that.

Good luck for an easy delivery!

Jersey Chick
03-03-2009, 11:38 PM
You'll have enough to be nervous about for the next 18+ years :D

Good luck!!!

Wayne K
03-03-2009, 11:39 PM
Panic. This is the best time for it. That way you get a sedative as well as an epidural.

WendyNYC
03-03-2009, 11:39 PM
And we will want pictures! Well, not birth pictures, but you know what I mean.

James81
03-03-2009, 11:48 PM
Congrats.

Take plenty of reading material, a change of clothes, and some snacks. You're in for a VERY long night.

It took my ex a day and a half before they finally took the baby with c-section with our son.

CaroGirl
03-03-2009, 11:51 PM
Yay!

Sure. Heck ya, be nervous. Excited, thrilled, and all that stuff. This is one of the biggest moments of your life. A new human being is coming into the world, and he or she shall be yours.

All the best, and I can't wait to read about your baby's journey (as long as it isn't too graphic :)).

underthecity
03-03-2009, 11:54 PM
Thanks! I know she doesn't want a C section, but that probably isn't a choice.

I'm bringing along my laptop because . . . there'll be a lot of time for me not to have anything to do.

And a book. Bringing something to read.

cray
03-03-2009, 11:56 PM
Thanks! I know she doesn't want a C section, but that probably isn't a choice.

I'm bringing along my laptop because . . . there'll be a lot of time for me not to have anything to do.

And a book. Bringing something to read.

:ROFL:

.....let us know how much you get done. :D

Beach Bunny
03-03-2009, 11:58 PM
:Hug2: Being nervous is normal. If you weren't it would be a little strange.

Good luck! Best wishes for a smooth and speedy delivery.

I'm with a few of the others in that I'll pass on the graphic details. ;)

James81
03-03-2009, 11:59 PM
:ROFL:

.....let us know how much you get done. :D

Ha ha, in my case I left the hospital an hour after they induced her and was able to take a final exam, get something to eat, and get a shower before coming back to wait for another day for them to give her a c-section.

Inducing labor isn't near as intense (EDIT: IN A PURELY TIME-WISE MANNER ONLY) as a normal delivery.

maestrowork
03-04-2009, 12:01 AM
Thinking of your and your family. Allen. Keep us informed.

underthecity
03-04-2009, 12:03 AM
I'm not going to work, just probably give updates on AW. And dick around online while I wait.

CaroGirl
03-04-2009, 12:08 AM
Inducing labor isn't near as intense as a normal delivery.
Eh? What's that? You'll have to speak up, and into my good ear.

DeleyanLee
03-04-2009, 12:08 AM
Best of luck for a swift, safe delivery.

And double-check with your wife about bringing things to distract you. My ex did that and I admit to taking serious offense to it. I'm in the midst of contractions and he was doing something FUN. Just saying.

Beach Bunny
03-04-2009, 12:18 AM

And double-check with your wife about bringing things to distract you. My ex did that and I admit to taking serious offense to it. I'm in the midst of contractions and he was doing something FUN. Just saying.
Yeah, you know, I think I would hesitate in taking the advice from the divorced dads on the board ... Just saying ... :)

Old Hack
03-04-2009, 12:24 AM
It might not happen today: I have a couple of friends who didn't deliver until 48 hours or more after their inductions started. But enjoy the whole thing, no matter how out-there it seems; try to remember details, and happy moments; and expect things to be different to how you expected them to be.

Oh, this is such a Big Thing. The very best of luck to you all.

underthecity
03-04-2009, 12:24 AM
I asked earlier if it's all right to bring the laptop and she said it's fine. I'm also bringing my two recent unread Reminisce magazines to read.

Medievalist
03-04-2009, 12:25 AM
I'm thinking Good Thoughts for all three of you.

rhymegirl
03-04-2009, 12:26 AM
How exciting! Good luck and best wishes to both of you, Allen.

regdog
03-04-2009, 12:26 AM
Good luck, a safe delivery and best wishes for all

Calla Lily
03-04-2009, 12:27 AM
My fluid was low on my 2nd, they induced, and everything was fine.

Conratulations (a few hours early)!

DeleyanLee
03-04-2009, 12:35 AM

Yeah, you know, I think I would hesitate in taking the advice from the divorced dads on the board ... Just saying ... :)

I'm a divorced mom...Just saying.

Beach Bunny
03-04-2009, 12:37 AM
I'm a divorced mom...Just saying.
Yes, I know. I was agreeing with you and adding to it. :)

Atani
03-04-2009, 12:44 AM
Inducing labor isn't near as intense as a normal delivery.

You must not know too much about labor... Inducing labor with pitocin actually causes the body to have a more intense and difficult labor, but it is still bearable.

I've had a natural birth and I know lot's of people who have had to be induced. Overall, birth is not something to be nervous about. Fear and tension cause the pain to be significantly worse.

My advice is to be calm (or at least appear to be!) & confident. Be there for your wife & keep her calm and as relaxed as possible. The more she can keep herself calm and physically relaxed, the faster the labor will be and the less painful it will be.

Stand by her and her desire to have a vaginal birth!! Don't let the Dr convince you that a c-section is needed just because it is taking a long time. Induced deliveries DO take longer BECAUSE they are induced. It will still happen, and her body will kick into natural labor too once contractions get going. That often results in a sort of double labor (drugs causing contractions plus the body causing them), but if she can endure it, especially with an epidural if she chooses, then it can be done! C-sections are done way too often. BUT even if that ends up happening, it is ok! Just be calm & confident and supportive! I wish you both the very best!!

I will be having my second baby in a few more weeks, so I am right there with you in spirit. :)

James81
03-04-2009, 12:44 AM
Eh? What's that? You'll have to speak up, and into my good ear.

lol Time wise, I mean. Of course.

I'm sure that having an 8 lb baby squeeze through a hole the size of a walnut isn't pleasant regardless of how labor is started.

*backs away slowly*

Devil Ledbetter
03-04-2009, 12:46 AM
Don't forget your camera!

Post pictures of your new little sweetie after the arrival.

Good luck to the three of you.

Perks
03-04-2009, 12:46 AM
Inducing labor isn't near as intense as a normal delivery.Actually, that's completely untrue.

In fact, it couldn't be more ass-backwards.

James81
03-04-2009, 12:47 AM
Damn, this parachute...it's a...it's a NAPSACK!

Perks
03-04-2009, 12:49 AM
Damn, this parachute...it's a...it's a NAPSACK!best news of the day!

Have a nice trip. See you next fall.

Good luck, Allen and Mrs. Allen!

P.H.Delarran
03-04-2009, 12:51 AM
best wishes for a quick and safe delivery.
can't wait to see pics!

p.s. I wouldn't expect to get much reading or lap-topping in..she's probably gonna want your non-stop attention. I'd be upset if my hubby stuck his face in a book while I was breathing through contractions. just sayin'
but sometimes while waiting for the pitocin to kick in there's a long down time..good time to read aloud or play cards or reminisce, etc. keep her mind occupied so she stays relaxed. and other times it kicks in real fast and you won't even have time to leave for the men's room.

Fenika
03-04-2009, 12:51 AM
Good luck :)

quickWit
03-04-2009, 12:52 AM
Be happy.

Pay attention.

Enjoy the moment. :)

Good luck.

Devil Ledbetter
03-04-2009, 12:53 AM
best wishes for a quick and safe delivery.
can't wait to see pics!

p.s. I wouldn't expect to get much reading or lap-topping in..she's probably gonna want your non-stop attention. I'd be upset if my hubby stuck his face in a book while I was breathing through contractions. just sayin'
butRead to her.

My husband read to me from Watership Down while I was in labor with my first. He jotted the contraction times on the overleaf. I still have that copy of the book. It's pretty special.

Perks
03-04-2009, 12:54 AM
We listened to good music and played a dice game.

Wayne K
03-04-2009, 01:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w-AG_yF1Uw

rhymegirl
03-04-2009, 02:11 AM
My husband drank coffee while I was stuck sucking on ice chips. Ice chips do nothing!

I WANTED THAT COFFEEEEEEEEEEE!!

Wayne K
03-04-2009, 02:15 AM
My husband drank coffee while I was stuck sucking on ice chips. Ice chips do nothing!

I WANTED THAT COFFEEEEEEEEEEE!!
I'll go get you sme coffee iced cream.

Atani
03-04-2009, 02:17 AM
Oh that's classic. Love the old Bill Cosby stuff!

However, true labor is nothing like that if the mom knows what to expect. Of course it's intense!! Silly breathing techniques don't help anything. Slow, deep, relaxing breaths are what helps.

Breathe up with each contraction - work with the muscles of the uterus to efface and open the cervix. Then when everything is 'open' and the baby is ready to descend, the body naturally shifts direction and all those muscles that are now bunched at the top of the uterus press down! Then you breath down (AND BREATHE, DON'T EVER HOLD YOUR BREATH!) and help the baby move down with each contraction. There are so many misconceptions about birth! Being informed is key, and it makes it so much less scary.

I'm so very passionate about this subject and wish every parent-to-be had the opportunity and took the time to learn all about it so their experience could be the best possible.

Here's hoping the very best for you. Relax and keep breathing!

(And I love the idea of reading to her... that is SO sweet! My husband actually slept the whole time I labored, but that was fine, cause he was there for me during the most intense part... breathing the baby down and out).

rhymegirl
03-04-2009, 02:17 AM
I'll go get you sme coffee iced cream.

No, I mean back when I was having my first baby.

It's too late now.

The point is he should have left the room if he wanted to drink coffee. Drinking it in front of someone who is hungry and thirsty but not allowed to eat or drink is just plain cruel.

Mandy-Jane
03-04-2009, 02:19 AM
Good luck and congratulations!

Atani
03-04-2009, 02:19 AM
No, I mean back when I was having my first baby.

It's too late now.

The point is he should have left the room if he wanted to drink coffee. Drinking it in front of someone who is hungry and thirsty but not allowed to eat or drink is just plain cruel.

That's not cool. You should have been allowed to eat or at least drink. Another misconception about birth. You need to stay HYDRATED at the least, and you need your strength! You're not sick.

Wayne K
03-04-2009, 02:23 AM
Drinking it in front of someone who is hungry and thirsty but not allowed to eat or drink is just plain cruel.
Then I shouldn't tell you I ate all the coffee iced cream?

rhymegirl
03-04-2009, 02:25 AM
That's not cool. You should have been allowed to eat or at least drink. Another misconception about birth. You need to stay HYDRATED at the least, and you need your strength! You're not sick.

Well, I'll tell you this. After I gave birth I was SOOOOOOOOOO thirsty.

When they told me I could finally drink something and asked what I wanted, I said, "ANYTHING!!!!! I'll drink ANYTHING!"

Atani
03-04-2009, 02:33 AM

When they told me I could finally drink something and asked what I wanted, I said, "ANYTHING!!!!! I'll drink ANYTHING!"

Jeez, doesn't that tell them that, duh, they're depriving the mother of necessary fluids?? That could cause problems for women during delivery, particularly if it is really long. I suppose their reasoning is to keep your bladder empty, but it is possible to pee during labor.

This is a natural process, it is far too 'medical' in our culture.

Devil Ledbetter
03-04-2009, 02:56 AM
That's not cool. You should have been allowed to eat or at least drink. Another misconception about birth. You need to stay HYDRATED at the least, and you need your strength! You're not sick.Very true. The idiotic "nothing by mouth" rule stalled not one but two of my three labors. For the third, I put in my birth plan that they had to let me eat or drink whatever I wanted. I was warned I might throw up. I said I'd take the risk.

As it was, I only wanted juice in that labor. Eventually I did throw up, but given that the entire labor was 6 hours as opposed to 17 hours for the first and 43 hours for the second, I'd say it was well worth it.

illiterwrite
03-04-2009, 03:15 AM
Good luck!

CACTUSWENDY
03-04-2009, 03:26 AM
Best thoughts and wishes for your both on this great event day.

Can not wait to hear of the birth.....w00t!

WittyWordsmith
03-04-2009, 03:29 AM
Congrats! That's so exciting!

Perks
03-04-2009, 03:39 AM
I'm so very passionate about this subject and wish every parent-to-be had the opportunity and took the time to learn all about it so their experience could be the best possible.

Me too. Your advice and descriptions are right on the money.

Mumut
03-04-2009, 03:43 AM
Best wishes. I hope all goes well for you.

Susie
03-04-2009, 03:48 AM
Yep, good luck, to you and your wife, Allen. Hope everyone will be well and healthy.

underthecity
03-04-2009, 04:05 AM
We're at the hospital right now. She's in the bed hooked up to several things and the nurse is admitting her right now.

The doctor is going to give her Pitocin to start the labor soon. The doctor also said "it's going to be a long night" and thinks labor could start early tomorrow, or perhaps late tomorrow. Until then, all I can do is sit and wait with her.

I asked her if she'd want me to read to her, and she said no.

We've practiced the breathing exercises, so we're ready for that part. We know about staying hydrated during the labor. And I know I'm not allowed to go anywhere.

However, she is allowing me to run home and grab a movie or two so we can watch it on the laptop, since tonight nothing's going to happen. We live like fifteen minutes away on back roads, so that's not a big deal.

So, fun fun fun! I'll keep things updated as often I can.

Perks
03-04-2009, 04:19 AM
If you guys can, try to doze.

kristie911
03-04-2009, 04:21 AM
Definitely try to sneak in a nap or two and if they'll let her eat, don't pass up the food. After several hours of labor I was ready to gnaw off the doctors leg just for a bit of sustanance. :)

Good luck, Allen! We'll be waiting to hear the good news.

Carole
03-04-2009, 05:24 AM
Yes! I agree about the food! I had labor for 29 1/2 hours with my first son, and by the time it was all over the cafeteria was closed. I was ready to kill for a burger. Ice chips for nearly 30 hours just doesn't cut it.

Oh! And Congratulations! What an eventful night THIS will be! :)

Wayne K
03-04-2009, 06:15 AM
{realizes this isn't the Drunk Thread and leaves}

Greenwolf103
03-04-2009, 06:18 AM
Be nervous but also be calm. It's okay to be a little nervous; this is indeed a BIG EVENT in your life! But ready or not, here she comes! :D

Good luck to you, Allen. I'm so excited for you! YAY!!

And, yes. Definitely share pictures. I can't wait to see pics of your very first child!!!

Have you decided on a name?

underthecity
03-04-2009, 07:10 AM
Greenwolf, the baby's name is Alayna. And by bizarre coincidence, the doctor's name is Allanna, pronounced the same as our daughter.

The nurse is giving her the Pitocin now, so things are going to start jumping soon.

C.bronco
03-04-2009, 07:13 AM
Yay Allen! Congratulations to the two of you!
:)

Fenika
03-04-2009, 07:14 AM
Time to be shoved into the world little Alayna. ;)

Enjoy the night City

K1P1
03-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Jeez, doesn't that tell them that, duh, they're depriving the mother of necessary fluids?? That could cause problems for women during delivery, particularly if it is really long. I suppose their reasoning is to keep your bladder empty, but it is possible to pee during labor.

This is a natural process, it is far too 'medical' in our culture.

No, it's so that you have an empty stomach when they do the C-section, which they always plan for. Same reasoning as they used when they'd shave you, disinfect you, and hook up an IV as soon as you arrived at the hospital. It's because they want to be ready to do surgery. As soon as you go to the hospital, it's not a natural process any more!

P.S. How are things going? I had an induced labor that took 21 hours. Natural labor is much easier, especially if you get to sit in the jacuzzi. IV & monitors = no jacuzzi. They ought to make them waterproof.

Joe270
03-04-2009, 10:08 AM
The nurse is giving her the Pitocin now, so things are going to start jumping soon.

They might not. The drugs didn't work on my wife.

If your wife is intolerant to cold pills, etc, they might not work.

Unless she's having real significant contractions, don't let them manually break her water. Then you will have an emergency c-section to deal with.

That's what happened with my first, and it was okay. The doctor was more scared than me because I almost punched him out in the corridor because I told him the meds wouldn't work. I told him we'd deal with our situation later.

He did a hell of a job, so I didn't kick his ass. He delivered my son a few years later by planned c-section.

I'll try to keep an eye on this thread as much as I can.

Just be there, that's the important part. Not on the floor, passed out, but actually there!

Yeshanu
03-04-2009, 10:10 AM
Just remember that if you do end up having a c-section, it's not the end of the world. I can't tell whether they were *really* needed or not, but the intervening years have shown me that the only thing that really matters is that I had three healthy, wonderful children.

Congrats to you and your wife, Allen. We'll be praying for you.

Yeshanu
03-04-2009, 10:13 AM
They might not. The drugs didn't work on my wife.

If your wife is intolerant to cold pills, etc, they might not work.

Unless she's having real significant contractions, don't let them manually break her water. Then you will have an emergency c-section to deal with.

Thanks for that, Joe. I (duh!) didn't even make the jump from things like cold pills (and other medications--I'm very non-sensitive to most drugs) not working and the fact that the induction didn't work for me.

As for them breaking my water, that wasn't an issue. With my first two, my water broke before I went into the hospital. In fact, it's the reason I went to the hospital in the first place, because I never really went into labour at all.

Joe270
03-04-2009, 10:27 AM
Thanks for that, Joe. I (duh!) didn't even make the jump from things like cold pills (and other medications--I'm very non-sensitive to most drugs) not working and the fact that the induction didn't work for me.

It's odd that nobody gets the connection. I've known too many people who had the same situation to dismiss it as simple coincidence.

I'm not trying to scare ya, Undercity, to the contrary. Just be aware of it.

You are in a hospital, and you'll come out of there with your wife and a brand-spankin' new baby, all safe and healthy, rest assured.

Don't sweat a c-section, if it happens you'll do fine. You will discover that women are much tougher than men in the days after it, though.

underthecity
03-04-2009, 11:00 AM
We both went to sleep around 11 or so, I was laid out on a somewhat-uncomfortable fold-out bed. I was awakened around 1:30 when the nurse came in and turned on the lights and did some tests to my wife. My wife had now been having contractions that were about two minutes apart. Not horrible painful contractions, but contractions nonetheless, and a little while later the "epidural guy" arrived to give her an epidural and shooed me out.

With nothing else to do, I grabbed the laptop and went to the family waiting room and had a popsicle.

I guess we can sleep once the epidural is doing its thing. If not, it could be a long night.

Thanks for all the well-wishes!

kristie911
03-04-2009, 11:09 AM
I loved my epidural but I'm not sure I could have gotten any sleep after I got it. It numbed the pain but it wasn't totally gone...and the numb lower body was a weird feeling.

Joe270
03-04-2009, 11:29 AM
Sounds pretty good to me. Everything seems cool and calm. That's nice.

The Eppie will help, too.

Joe270
03-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Oooo, it's been a hour with no update. Anybody wanna call whether we have a mini-Underthecity yet?

Rarri
03-04-2009, 12:26 PM

I was allowed a measly 30ml to drink, after a 60 hour labour, was not amused.

Hope all's going well underthecity!! :)

Joe270
03-04-2009, 12:32 PM
I gotta crash, Under, but I wish you and yours all the best tonight, er, this morning.

I'll check in first thing for any updates.

I know it's stressful, but this night will be one of the very best of your whole life. Just try to remember some of it, the high points will do, like when you first see your child.

rhymegirl
03-04-2009, 05:36 PM
No, it's so that you have an empty stomach when they do the C-section, which they always plan for. Same reasoning as they used when they'd shave you, disinfect you, and hook up an IV as soon as you arrived at the hospital. It's because they want to be ready to do surgery.

Yes. The reason they wouldn't let me eat or drink is because IF I needed to have surgery for some reason, I'd be prepared. (nothing in the stomach)

But that's a big IF. I felt that if a woman can have ice chips, which is essentially water, why not let her have a small cup of water to drink. Luckily, by the time I got to my third child, I had a midwife and she let me do what I wanted to do. Her attitude was that I was a healthy woman with a low risk pregnancy. I said, "I don't want to be hooked up to machines." So I wasn't.

Atani
03-04-2009, 06:47 PM
No, it's so that you have an empty stomach when they do the C-section, which they always plan for. Same reasoning as they used when they'd shave you, disinfect you, and hook up an IV as soon as you arrived at the hospital. It's because they want to be ready to do surgery. As soon as you go to the hospital, it's not a natural process any more!

P.S. How are things going? I had an induced labor that took 21 hours. Natural labor is much easier, especially if you get to sit in the jacuzzi. IV & monitors = no jacuzzi. They ought to make them waterproof.

Then why do most women go to a hospital to have a baby? Unless there is a medical reason (which in this case there clearly is), then that means birth does not belong in a hospital.

I understand that their reasoning is always to plan for surgery since that's what ends up happening the majority of the time, and many times it is not necessary (these specialist doctors typically have NEVER seen a normal birth, so what does that tell you? That western women can't have babies without medical assistance or that in many cases c-sections and other assistance is given unnecessarily?). As for going to the hospital, it's a cultural thing - people are raised to be scared of birth. They want to be there "just in case." In THIS case, it certainly seems necessary, but for the vast majority, it's unreasonable to prepare for a c-section just because a woman is in a hospital. It is STILL a natural process no matter where you are.

I do agree that they should make serious efforts to improve the monitoring equipment so women can relax in water. Even a warm bath is more soothing than sitting on a bed. The absolute WORST position for birth is the one hospitals insist upon - semi-reclined. This flattens the pelvis and makes is more difficult for the baby to descend and pass through that already tight space. I won't go on, but birthing in our western world needs some SERIOUS improvement in both method and in cultural awareness.

CaroGirl
03-04-2009, 06:55 PM
In my country, the trend is definitely away from c-section births. But I believe you can still have one by request, if your doctor agrees. My friend is from Brazil where every woman has a scheduled c-section. It's just part of the culture. She had no experience with natural birth. Every single woman she knew had undergone a c-section. So, terrified of the prospect of a natural birth, she requested a c-section and got one (her 1st baby ended up breech so, medically, it might have been called for) and she had one for each child thereafter (she has 3). So, it's not just North America that's stuck in a c-section culture. And don't get me started on breastfeeding and length of maternity leave in the US.

And where the heck is Allen with that update?!

Carole
03-04-2009, 06:58 PM
**anxious for baby news!**

Chumplet
03-04-2009, 07:10 PM
I had an induced labour on a Friday morning, they broke my water, did all those embarrassing things to my woo hoo (shaving, enema etc) had back labour, got hooked up to an epidural and was flipped like a pancake all night long. No C-section, but there was a lot of wheeling into an operating room and snipping and stitching and such. I had my daughter at 9am on the Saturday. That was in 1989. What a ride.

Second kid in 1991 had none of those annoying, embarrasing stuff and my son entered the world within eight hours. In a nice, quiet labour room with flowery wallpaper.

Hope you got some sleep!

CaroGirl
03-04-2009, 07:12 PM
I had an induced labour on a Friday morning, they broke my water, did all those embarrassing things to my woo hoo (shaving, enema etc) had back labour, got hooked up to an epidural and was flipped like a pancake all night long. No C-section, but there was a lot of wheeling into an operating room and snipping and stitching and such. I had my daughter at 9am on the Saturday. That was in 1989. What a ride.

Second kid in 1991 had none of those annoying, embarrasing stuff and my son entered the world within eight hours. In a nice, quiet labour room with flowery wallpaper.
They don't do all that stuff anymore, you know to you hoo-hoo and up yer shoot. At least not up here in Canadaland. :)

Perks
03-04-2009, 07:12 PM
For what it's worth, Atani, I entirely agree with you. A little research into how home birth and midwifery fell from favor is interesting.

Throughout history, babies were mostly born at home, often with a midwife or other experienced attendant. Of course, the birth process is complex, so there are opportunities for things to go wrong, even though the vast majority of births are safe and healthy.

In the late 1600s it became fashionable for women of higher social status and wealth to be attended by doctors, at first in their homes, because they could afford them. The urban hospital was the next logical step.

The problem was that the germ theory was not yet developed and no one really knew that it was drastically dangerous for a doctor to dress an abscess, muck around in a cadaver, then stick his hands up a pregnant lady. Puerperal fever dropped new moms by the hundreds and thousands and childbirth became The Grim Reaper's sidekick. Everyone 'knew' how desperately dangerous having a baby is (look how many die!) and rushed to the hospital, not knowing it was the hospital that was killing them.

We are easing back (way too slowly for my taste) into some sense that pregnant women aren't ill. They're pregnant. That's all. They generally don't need hospitals or doctors or medicine, and women who opt to have their babies at home are not insane or irresponsible. It's quite logical not to expose an infant to a building full of disease on day one.

Well-equipped birthing centers staffed by people who specialize in birth (gynecologists specialize in disorders of the female reproductive system) and understand the physical, emotional, and psychological nuances of pregnancy and childbirth make a lot of sense as a meet-in-the-middle solution.

All that said, doctors who save women and babies when things go nuts are heroes.

We just need to find that space where we know that very few births are about whooping sirens and needle-fraught emergencies.

Perks
03-04-2009, 07:13 PM
**anxious for baby news!**I know! I can't wait to hear!

underthecity
03-04-2009, 07:25 PM
Okay, Baby News!

The reason I wasn't updating all night is because I was allowed to sleep while my wife laid there dozing off and on, all while the nurses came in throughout the night to do stuff waking me up from time to time. Last night was kind of a strange dream for me.

She woke me up this morning saying "Allen, wake up, it's almost time to push." And I hadn't had coffee yet! I got dressed and went and got coffee and in a half hour or so is when the pushing started. I stood and watched the whole thing, pretty amazing to see. I was thankful she wasn't in pain to do the pushing, and she was numb from the waist down.

After the head came out, the doctor pulled the baby out. It was an amazing, emotional sight. I didn't bawl, but I did shed a few tears (I hate crying in front of people.)

She's perfect. Absolutely perfect. And she has hardly cried at all! My mom tells me I was born screaming, but so far, Alayna's been quiet most of the time.

My wife is holding her now, waiting for her to get hungry to start breast feeding.

Time of birth: 9:22 a.m.

Weight: 7 pounds, 3 ounces.

I've got lots of pictures, but the card doesn't fit into the laptop so I'll load them in to my website later. So, PLEASE stop by again. Maybe I'll start a new thread just for the baby pictures, if that's all right.

Gotta go! Baby duty calls.

CaroGirl
03-04-2009, 07:28 PM
Congratulations!! She sounds just perfect. Nice job Mum and Dad.

Can you kiss her feet for me? I loves me some baby feet.

cray
03-04-2009, 07:28 PM
so glad everything went well!

great news for you and your wife. best wishes, allen!

Grrarrgh
03-04-2009, 07:29 PM
:partyguy::snoopy:

Congratulations!!! Such fantastic news and I'm glad to hear that everyone is doing so well. I'll be anxiously checking back for pics!!!!

:welcome: Alayna!!!!

Perks
03-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Yay! Congratulations, Allen and Mrs. and baby Alayna!

MoonWriter
03-04-2009, 07:30 PM
:partyguy: Congratulations, Allen. I can't wait to see pictures of baby Alayna. :partyguy:

C.bronco
03-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Hurray for you and your family! :)

Chumplet
03-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Yippeee! Haha, this will be the last night you sleep for a while! Congratulations to all of you!

Calla Lily
03-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Congratulations!!! Enjoy your new little one.

And post pictures!!!

Yeshanu
03-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Baby! Baby, baby, baby, baby, baby!!!

(Ally, are you following this thread? :tongue)

Just kidding, folks. She wants to finish school first. It's a running joke between us...

Wayne K
03-04-2009, 07:53 PM
After the head came out, the doctor pulled the baby out. .
Did he use the salad spoons?

Thatnks for sharing that all, I feel like a cyber uncle.:partyguy:

Jersey Chick
03-04-2009, 08:05 PM
Congratulations, Dad!

new baby smell - one of the best smells. ever. :D

**waiting for the pictures**

NeuroFizz
03-04-2009, 08:09 PM
For all of the harping I do about productivity around here, THIS is the kind of "productivity" that trumps all. Congrats Allen and Mrs. Underthecity. Happy Birthday, precious Alayna.

Haggis
03-04-2009, 08:17 PM
:snoopy:

Carole
03-04-2009, 08:21 PM
YAY!!! Little Alayna. How completely and absolutely precious!!! Can't wait for pics!

Beach Bunny
03-04-2009, 08:24 PM
Congratulations! :snoopy:

rhymegirl
03-04-2009, 08:24 PM
Congratulations! Wonderful news! Sorry if I derailed your thread, Allen.

We all wish you the best! Would love to see pictures.

DeleyanLee
03-04-2009, 08:30 PM
Congratulations!

And Alayna is such a pretty name!

WendyNYC
03-04-2009, 08:33 PM
Oh yay! Congrats!!

DaddyCat
03-04-2009, 08:36 PM
Congratulations to you and your wife, and a big :welcome: to Alayna!

Atani
03-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Oh how wonderful!!! I'm so happy for you all!!! Enjoy every minute with your sweet little miracle; I can't wait to see pictures. :) :) :)

Susie
03-04-2009, 08:46 PM
That's super great, Allen! So glad baby is here and all is well!

writerterri
03-04-2009, 08:57 PM
Congrats on your precious, new alarm clock!

Greenwolf103
03-04-2009, 08:57 PM
Oh, yay! Congratulations, Allen and Mrs. Allen!!!! How exciting! Welcome to the world, baby Alayna.

You almost got me all watery-eyed with that post. What a wonderful moment, to be there when a new life comes into the world!

I'm so glad to hear everything went well. Good job, Mom and Dad! "Alayna" is such a beautiful name.

Rarri
03-04-2009, 09:41 PM
That's wonderful news, congratulations to you and your little family :)

Jean Marie
03-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Ye HA! Allen, you're a new dad :partyguy: Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy :D I'm absolutely thrilled for you and your wife, of course :)

Welcome to the world, Alayna!

Joe270
03-04-2009, 11:03 PM
Congratulations, Under. I'm happy for you.

Karen Duvall
03-04-2009, 11:05 PM
Fantastic news! Congratulations!

Wayne K
03-04-2009, 11:06 PM
I'm a big fan of the new baby smell thing too.

kristie911
03-04-2009, 11:10 PM
Congrats Allen (and to your wife, of course!). Glad to hear it all went well.

I'm so happy for you guys! :D

Cranky
03-04-2009, 11:12 PM
Congratulations to you and your wife on the new baby girl! Such a pretty name. :)

tjwriter
03-04-2009, 11:36 PM
Congrats on the little one! Glad everything is going well. Woohoo!

popbunny
03-05-2009, 01:19 AM
Congrats on your new baby! You are going to LOVE having a girl. Ok, I have two of them, so maybe I'm biased, but big strong daddies holding tiny baby girls makes me melt!

aadams73
03-05-2009, 01:37 AM
Congratulations!!!!! :D

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-05-2009, 02:09 AM
Congrats, Allen and Mrs. Allen! Looking forward to the pics... but let's put 'em right in here, eh? We've already got 10 threads on the Underthecity Family Addition, which at some point soon, I'm gonna merge so we can add it to the History of AW all in one pretty li'l package - just like Alayna. :)

CACTUSWENDY
03-05-2009, 02:20 AM
W00T!.......:partyguy: wonderful news.

underthecity
03-05-2009, 03:22 AM
Thank you so much! It's been a long, exhausting day, and I'm home for a quick shower and load some of the pictures on my website.

The first one, just about one minute after birth:

http://www.allensedge.com/baby/baby1.jpg

http://www.allensedge.com/baby/baby2.jpg

http://www.allensedge.com/baby/baby3.jpg

Me, with my new daughter:

http://www.allensedge.com/baby/baby4.jpg

Proud parents:

http://www.allensedge.com/baby/baby5.jpg

cray
03-05-2009, 03:36 AM
beautiful!

great pics!

TheRightEyedDeer
03-05-2009, 03:37 AM
Awwww! Lovely pics. Congrats to the new parents. :)

Jersey Chick
03-05-2009, 03:38 AM
What a beautiful family we have there! And your baby girl is squeerific!

Congrats again on a job well done! :D

Devil Ledbetter
03-05-2009, 04:09 AM
Beautiful! Congratulations!:snoopy:

WittyWordsmith
03-05-2009, 04:58 AM
AAAAAWWWWWW great pictures!! Hooray for the healthy baby!

Greenwolf103
03-05-2009, 05:25 AM
Awwww SHE'S BEAUTIFUL!!! Such an adorable baby. Congrats!!!

Carole
03-05-2009, 05:29 AM
Oh, she is beautiful! Absolutely beautiful! There is the standard all babies are beautiful and then there are really beautiful babies. You, sir, have a truly lovely child.

sindy9001
03-05-2009, 06:22 AM
Don't be nervous! Good luck!http://photo-collection.co.cc/img/3177/a08b1010ygij/grin.gif

jennifer75
03-05-2009, 08:57 AM
Ok, I'm ready to post....

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! Isn't it the most fabulously horrifying experience ever?!

Take pictures every day, cause that's how often they seem to change.

Greenwolf103
03-05-2009, 10:09 AM
One piece of advice: Use digital cams for pics whenever possible. Naively, I used a FunSaver when Kid #1 was born and used it during her first 6 weeks. I took A LOT of pics and dutifully dropped the cam off to get them developed. Something either happened to the camera or to the film developing process because only 2 of the 35 pics developed clearly. :( But at least we got a pic of her smiling.

cooeedownunder
03-05-2009, 10:16 AM
Congrats...the pics are beautiful...I was induced and had to wait 48 hours before I could take a pick.lolol congratulations again :)

Shamrockgreen
03-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Wonderful photos, Congrats on being a "family" now. You all are beautiful.

Mythical Tiger
03-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Congratulations!!!! I'm happy for you guys=]

~Sam

Rarri
03-05-2009, 12:34 PM
BABY!!!!! She's beautiful, congratulations, you all make a lovely little family. Hope your wife is doing well too :)

CaroGirl
03-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Gorgeous. Thank you for including a shot of Alayna's feet. I still loves me some baby feet!!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-05-2009, 05:44 PM
You two make pretty babies! And you ain't so bad lookin' yourselves! :)

Atani
03-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Excellent pictures! Those will be special memories forever :) Warmest of wishes for all of the best for all of you.

Calla Lily
03-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Beautiful baby! And mom & dad look pretty happy too. :D congratulations again!

MoonWriter
03-05-2009, 06:29 PM
Beautiful pictures! I'm so happy for you and your wife. Alayna is adorable.

underthecity
03-05-2009, 07:31 PM
Thank you so much! It's now Day 2. Last night was an adventure since the baby was awake for half the night. She either had to feed--or want to feed but not feed. I held her a lot, but she wasn't sleeping or anything just lying there and would fuss when I put her down. We had to change a diaper in the middle of the night, twice, I think. It's kind of fuzzy.

The nurse would come in every couple of hours to check up on us, and around 4 took her to the Nurses Station so we could finally get some sleep. We slept until about 5:30 when the nurse came back and said it was time to feed.

Meanwhile, the Lactation Specialist has been helping my wife learn to breast feed since yesterday. Turns out it's not that easy to do. And Alayna didn't feed for at least five hours after birth.

I've learned how to swaddle and am pretty good at it. I've changed one poopy (tarry) diaper by myself. And I'm terrified I'm either going to drop her hold her wrong and cause her harm when I do hold her. So far though, she seems to love her daddy so that is pretty okay. She likes it when I hold her, and I like holding her.

My wife is exhausted. I don't think she's slept much at all for the last two days. I was able to sleep for half the night off and on.

Right now the Lactation Specialist is with her, which is allowing me the time to post this. Oh, and the LS said she's the prettiest baby on this floor. :)

It's funny, screaming babies used to irritate the crap out of me, but it's not so bad with my own baby. And she's getting LOUD.

The nurse yesterday said Alayna has "pianist's fingers" which is awesome because I've been saying for months that we plan to teach her piano as soon as she is able to reach the keys. The doctor this morning commented on her long feet, which she gets from me.

With any luck, we'll get out today, as long as she's feeding all right.

Again, thanks for the nice comments about the pictures. She's my daughter, I helped create her!

Atani
03-05-2009, 07:37 PM
You'll be tired for a while...

It's a misconception that breastfeeding is easy. It took me half the first night with my baby girl to get her to latch on and finally get a decent 'meal' too. You're wife & daughter will get the hang of it before you know it :) Nothing is so satisfying as breastfeeding your baby (and my husband said watching was just as wonderful).

I'm so happy for you all! A new baby is a constant adventure, and watching her grow is absolutely amazing. Enjoy every minute, even when you're exhausted... you'll develop a routine that enables as much rest as possible before long.

cray
03-05-2009, 07:39 PM
this is a cool post, allen. you'll remember these first days at the easiest!

some advice, let the nurses take care of the baby as much as possible - they are a blessing that you only have a for a day or two before you go home. once you're home, you're on your own.

oh yea. you have no idea how tired you'll be in two weeks.
which will also make you realize exactly how strong you can be when you have too, eh?

good luck with the breast feeding - it does take time for both mom and baby to get the hang of it.

also, don't be too shocked when they don't give you an instruction manual on the way out of the hospital! :D that was a shocker for me,...like, what do we do now?

and loud? no. sorry. she's not loud now.
get back to us in 6 months. :D

lastly, you know that nice baby monitor that someone got you?
throw it out.
you'll spend the time you should be sleeping listening to the monitor.
if the baby is awake - you'll know.

quickWit
03-05-2009, 07:42 PM
What a beauty! :) Congratulations guys!

CaroGirl
03-05-2009, 07:43 PM
Last night was an adventure since the baby was awake for half the night. She either had to feed--or want to feed but not feed. I held her a lot, but she wasn't sleeping or anything just lying there and would fuss when I put her down. We had to change a diaper in the middle of the night, twice, I think. It's kind of fuzzy.

The nurse would come in every couple of hours to check up on us, and around 4 took her to the Nurses Station so we could finally get some sleep. We slept until about 5:30 when the nurse came back and said it was time to feed.

Meanwhile, the Lactation Specialist has been helping my wife learn to breast feed since yesterday. Turns out it's not that easy to do. And Alayna didn't feed for at least five hours after birth.

I've learned how to swaddle and am pretty good at it. I've changed one poopy (tarry) diaper by myself. And I'm terrified I'm either going to drop her hold her wrong and cause her harm when I do hold her. So far though, she seems to love her daddy so that is pretty okay. She likes it when I hold her, and I like holding her.

My wife is exhausted. I don't think she's slept much at all for the last two days. I was able to sleep for half the night off and on.

Right now the Lactation Specialist is with her, which is allowing me the time to post this. Oh, and the LS said she's the prettiest baby on this floor. :)

It's funny, screaming babies used to irritate the crap out of me, but it's not so bad with my own baby. And she's getting LOUD.

The nurse yesterday she has "pianist's fingers" which is awesome because I've been saying for months that we plan to teach her piano as soon as she is able to reach the keys. The doctor this morning commented on her long feet, which she gets from me.

Again, thanks for the nice comments about the pictures. She's my daughter, I helped create her!
Welcome to BabyLand, where you will function on less sleep than you ever thought possible, talk incessantly about bowel movements and think it's fascinating instead of gross, wear a path across the bedroom carpet where you spend countless hours pacing and rocking and pacing. Taking the baby home is only the beginning.

It's wonderful, exhausting, exhilarating, frustrating, and so much more. You will be a great daddy. I can tell.

tjwriter
03-05-2009, 07:43 PM
Sounds like the most exhausting, wonderful adventure of your life has begun.

Babies don't break as easily as it might seem. My newest addition has really long fingers and feet (toes included). In fact I was trying to find preemie socks because regular ones won't really stay on.

Not to derail, but we might be having another baby very soon over here. My brother's fiance is at the hospital because she's trying to go into labor again in spite of medication and she probably has another UTI (like 5th or 6th, I think) so we're waiting to see what her doc says when he comes to do rounds this morning. I'm really starting to think they just need to get that baby here. She just keeps having issues and they were going to take her off her meds next Friday anyway.

Perks
03-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Yeah, keep those lactation specialist's numbers handy. They can really be a great help. If it's tricky at first, it's so tempting to give up - and two weeks will feel like a looooooong time with crying and screaming (from both mom and babe) but when it becomes routine, breastfeeding is the most convenient, inexpensive, and most importantly, one of the healthiest things you can do for that baby.

Good luck and hang in there! I remember those days well, sobbing at the kitchen sink at three in the morning thinking I'd never get the hang of it and it was only day five!

This time next month, you'll all be old pros.

Wayne K
03-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Yeah, keep those lactation specialist's numbers handy. .
I stopped reading here.

Williebee
03-05-2009, 08:28 PM
You have so many amazing things ahead of you all. Congratulations!

Cranky
03-05-2009, 08:28 PM
She's beautiful. :) Congratulations again!

jennifer75
03-05-2009, 09:29 PM
We had to change a diaper in the middle of the night, twice, I think. It's kind of fuzzy.
Hehe....lots of that to come. We averaged about every two hours during the night of diaper changes. Babies poop, ALOT. We were told by somebody that 8 times a day is normal, so I of course started counting, and sure enough....

Meanwhile, the Lactation Specialist has been helping my wife learn to breast feed since yesterday. Turns out it's not that easy to do.
It can be very difficult, and your wife could go a month thinking she's doing it the "right way" and not be. I went to a one day class and found out I could have saved myself a lot of discomfort, and time, had I known exactly how I should have been doing it. Even holding the baby properly during feeding makes a huge difference.

A friend of mine is involved with LLL (La Leche League) there is a website that has a forum, and information and discussion. I'll pm you the link.

Has your wife's milk come in yet? That's fun. I was home a day or two already, standing at the crib when I felt this wierd flush through my chest and realized I felt a little heavier.

Swaddling is great, can get you a little extra sleep if you do it right, they love to be nice and tight (no, not too tight).

Tell your wife, and the rest of the mothers can agree with me, to sleep every possible chance she gets these couple of months. When that baby is asleep, MAKE YOUR WIFE REST. Don't let her take the opportunity to clean anything. A happy-rested mommy, is a happy-rested wife.

It's funny, screaming babies used to irritate the crap out of me, but it's not so bad with my own baby. Baby drool is suddenly ok, when it's your own baby, also.

Wait till she's actually getting milk. If it hasn't come in yet. Schedules will develop.

Congratulations! Now for the hard part! Taking care of her!

underthecity
03-05-2009, 09:39 PM
It doesn't look like we're getting out til Friday. Most of the time, Alayna wants to just "pacify" at my wife's breast, not actually suckle it. So, the nurse said to pull her off of it until she's ready to feed.

stormie
03-05-2009, 09:39 PM
Congratulations!!!!!

Oh, she is so, so cute! And how is it that your wife looks great right after delivering?! Heck, my hair looked like a bird's nest, my face was splotchy, and I had dark circles.

You're a really good looking family. :)

Treasure every moment, even if it seems to stretch into eternity and beyond in the middle of the night. It goes so fast. Really.

jennifer75
03-05-2009, 09:41 PM
Congratulations!!!!!

And how is it that your wife looks great right after delivering?! Heck, my hair looked like a bird's nest, my face was splotchy, and I had dark circles.

I know, right!?!?!?!? She looked perfect.

Mela
03-06-2009, 12:16 AM
What a happy family you all make ... much happiness to all!!

Fulk
03-06-2009, 05:44 AM
Congratulations!

Jean Marie
03-06-2009, 08:05 AM
I know, right!?!?!?!? She looked perfect.
Ha! I wanted to know who came in to get her camera-ready :D She looks that good.

What a beautiful daughter, Allen. Congrats to you and your wife. Enjoy yourselves :)

threedogpeople
03-06-2009, 11:13 AM
Congratulations! I wish you many happy days and sleeping through the night (as soon as possible).

Judy

Wayne K
03-06-2009, 02:00 PM
http://www.allensedge.com/baby/baby4.jpg

Can I have her? C'mon I never get anything....

KTC
03-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Beautiful pics! Congratulations.

underthecity
03-06-2009, 06:47 PM
Thank you! And Alayna is feeding better today, although my wife's you-know-what's are sore. She's sleeping better now, too. I've changed a bunch of dirty diapers now, and really don't mind doing it. Of course, those dirty diapers will be getting a lot more dramatic, I do realize that.

And my wife did look good after delivery, thank you for the compliments, but then she always looks radiant. Also, thanks for the rep comments, those are appreciated.

It's Friday, hopefully we'll be released before noon.

I plan to be a "hands-on" dad, like so many other dads here on AW. I know I'll be helping with at least 50% of the child-rearing, and have to learn to balance that time with my writing and other stuff I want and have to do.

She's now two days old. I've already had a dream where she was at least two years old and the two of us were out shopping for a used TV set. I don't understand that one either.

People have been telling me that she looks most like me, but has my wife's nose (the Linz family nose prevalent among her whole clan).

Thanks again! After only two days, she's already Daddy's Little Girl.

James81
03-06-2009, 06:53 PM
Thank you! And Alayna is feeding better today, although my wife's you-know-what's are sore. She's sleeping better now, too. I've changed a bunch of dirty diapers now, and really don't mind doing it. Of course, those dirty diapers will be getting a lot more dramatic, I do realize that.

Ha ha, newborn poop is funny. And definately, it's going to get WAYYYY more dramatic, especially when they eat solid food, and you are in a walmart and you have one diaper and you realize you left the wipes in the car or that you go to use your one diaper and you end up tearing the little tab off the side, and you have to put the old diaper back on (so friking nasty) and go find another one, then come back, squeeze into the public bathroom, and take the old diaper off again only to realize it's up their back and in their clothes.

lol

James81
03-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Or even worse, since you have a girl lol, is when they get poop in there...uh...hoo hoo....and you have to get it out. I HATED (I'm using the word hate here) that.

Carole
03-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Thanks again! After only two days, she's already Daddy's Little Girl.

And that's just it, too. It only takes about a split second before they grab your heart, and they have it for life. :)

(laughing @ James' comment. I'm glad I had boys, if that's the case!)

Susie
03-06-2009, 07:15 PM
Aww, how fabulous. You all look beautiful!

Atani
03-06-2009, 08:59 PM
(laughing @ James' comment. I'm glad I had boys, if that's the case!)

:ROFL: Girls have lots of 'folds' that will be more difficult to keep clean... especially when she decides to get wiggly (or downright struggle!) when she's older. Always remember, clean front to back - critical for little girls :)

P.H.Delarran
03-06-2009, 10:43 PM
She's precious and you and your wife are both glowing. Congratulations!

James81
03-06-2009, 10:57 PM
:ROFL: Girls have lots of 'folds' that will be more difficult to keep clean... especially when she decides to get wiggly (or downright struggle!) when she's older. Always remember, clean front to back - critical for little girls :)

and don't let them tell you that girls don't poop or fart. That's hogwash! I believed this until I had a little girl, and she is one stinky, poopy little thing. As an example, she'll run from across the room to climb up on my lap, and then she'll fart on me and get back down and go about playing.

writerterri
03-07-2009, 04:57 AM
Bless you all! How beautiful she is indeed! Congrats again!

Confusious says: Don't be a fool and check for poop with finger. You may get what you're looking for. : l

Okay, that was me and I learned the hard way.

Once I asked my husband to get the baby and give her a bottle. He walked into the wall and I never asked again.

My first two kids liked the deliverence of the bottle rather than my slow flowing breasts because one was 10.12 lbs and the other was 10.2 lbs. And my third kid! Can you say Hoover! She didn't let go for 2 1/2 years.

Staceyp67
03-07-2009, 07:07 AM
That is a beautiful baby!! Congrats!

Bluegate
03-09-2009, 01:24 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!

What a beautiful family you make. So happy for you and please tell your wife she looks beautiful. Lucky man.

underthecity
03-09-2009, 02:48 AM
Thank you! I tell her every chance I get. My wife's awesome, and she's an awesome mom, too.

trickywoo
03-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Congrats! Our little ones share the same b-day after all. Elijah was born at 4:58 PM. :)