And now, to start ... Help will be much appreciated!

jms222

Registered
Reaction score
Well, here it is -- I'm someone looking to jump headfirst into the Freelance World. I have some skills, write well enough to organize and convey ideas, etc., but am very green regarding the process of "where" to start, "How" to start, and making contacts with the appropriate people is something I simply DO NOT know how to do in this business.

Writing is a passion, and a variety of writing is something I will embrace even further.

I have spent days and nights reading the wonderful ideas and threads that the members add in this Freelance Writing area of AW, so I thought it appropriate that I lay myself out there, naked as a baby (in the context of freelance, of course ;-) ), and ask for some help -- In lieu of direct answers, perhaps I could be pointed in the direction of some specific threads, etc., already in place here that may offer the advice I'm seeking (?).

I have a contact (3rd hand), who's first piece of advice was that "the most important thing at this point is to get a byline -- even if you write it for free". I have no reason to doubt this as sage advice; it's the "getting that byline" that involves navigating a path I'm surely unfamiliar with...

Thank you (anybody/everybody) in advance for any direction you may be able to offer!

Kindest Regards,
JMS222

spacekadet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.monicashaw.com
Read a good book on the subject to give you some direction. I recommend Andrew Croft's "The Freelance Writer's Handbook". This is THE book that inspired me to take the plunge. The only caveat is that it is UK-focused, still, the general advice applies. "How To Make a Real Living as a Freelance Writer" is also good.

Another thing I did to help me get started with pitching and promoting myself is to take a class on Freelance Writing at the local community college (London's City University). It was inspiring to meet other people who wanted to do this and to get advice from someone (the teacher) who's done it before. It also forced me to practice writing query letters and provided me with feedback on generating ideas and sellable angles. Good stuff. Well worth the meager 180 quid.

I did a couple free pieces early on and it's a good way to get your foot in the door. Also, don't underestimate the power of unpublished clips. I got my first commission at a big national newspaper with only blog posts and unpublished samples in my writing portfolio. Here's a little article I wrote on getting published without clips for The Freshman Writer:

http://thefreshmanwriter.wordpress.com/2008/11/03/getting-published-without-writing-clips/

Hope all this helps. Good luck, and welcome to the good life. =)

Monica

jms222

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you!

Please excuse my ignorance, but I didn't understand the "Stickie's" (still don't) when I've read them referred to on the board (??). As far as the books I've read regarding "Freelance -specific", I haven't ventured deeply at this point -- I began a Robert Bly book, "Secrets of a Freelance Writer", but once I was introduced to the mentor-type whom I've been corresponding with, I came straight to the internet. I suppose a "PS" I should add to my initial message is that I'm not looking for or expecting any shortcuts or "had-outs" of any kind with what I'm trying to learn -- only asking that I could perhaps be lead "West" instead of "East" (if that's appropriate), simply to clarify the fundamentals I need to learn. I enjoy, and look forward to, doing any and all the work that's necessary to learn what I need to! (I suppose an explanation of the Stickies would help, though ... ;-) )

Thank you!
JMS

jms222

Registered
Reaction score
To Monica ..

Thank you much!

Incidentally, my sister and B.I.L are now in the UK for the next 2 years (Job related relo), so I will be enlisting their help with perspective on the "UK focus" you referenced (whatever that may entail).

Thank you for the book tips, and the link to your soon-to-be-read article!

JMS

spacekadet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.monicashaw.com
Thank you much!

Incidentally, my sister and B.I.L are now in the UK for the next 2 years (Job related relo), so I will be enlisting their help with perspective on the "UK focus" you referenced (whatever that may entail).

Thank you for the book tips, and the link to your soon-to-be-read article!

JMS

No worries JMS - if you do start pitching to UK publications, give the book "Freelance Writing Tips" - it's got loads of good specific advice and examples of query letters that work. Here is the author's website: http://www.freelancewritingtips.com/

As for Stickies, those are the posts at the top of the "Freelance Writing" forum that don't move. For example...

MARKETS FOR FREELANCERS

BIG STICKIE-READ FIRST-EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW-MARKETS, QUERY LETTERS ETC....

Make sense?

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
:) i like your approach. Welcome aboard! Now that you know what the stickies are (and where) definitely read them. Also, How to Make a Living as a Freelance Writer and The Renegade Writers are "must reads" in my opinion. www.freelancewritinggigs.com is a good place to begin your "job search."

Michael Geffner also compiled a list of places to look for writing gigs. I cana't find his list, but his blog is a wealth of info, IMHO. (As is Absolute Write, for sure!! I'm trying to get Mike over here, in fact!) http://mikeswritingworkshop.blogspot.com

Good luck!

jms222

Registered
Reaction score
Monica -- thank you again; Stickies are now a personally understood piece of AW vernacular ...

... thanks on the book link as well! ...
JMS

jms222

Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I had a feeling you all were a generous group of individuals ... It's been, what, a half an hour (?) and I'm already well into, and very grateful for, a myriad of help and resources!

...I'll make ya proud ...

jennifernobile

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kidsandakeyboard.blogspot.com
Hi and welcome!
I'm new to the world of freelance writing myself, so I can relate to your post. I've started my quest with a couple of parenting articles based on my experiences. I sent out my first two query letters yesterday, one of which landed a non-paying assignment already. I pitched it to a local parenting publication. It will give me a clip and byline, and a start to my portfolio.
I went to the library this past weekend and just read a lot of different publications. When I found the local parenting publication, I read a couple of issues, came up with the idea for my article, and wrote up the query yesterday, based on what I felt they were looking for.
I say start looking at publications you are interested in writing for, take a look at a few of their past issues, and try to identify what kind of articles they print. Length, tone, subject matter, etc.
Good luck!

Autodidact

...in my Maidenform Bra.
Registered
Reaction score
The thing about initial clips is you're just looking to publish, anywhere, without necessarily being paid. A newsletter, a blog entry, something. You do your best work, because that's how you're going to break into paid work.

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
Poke, poke. Hey, look at the naked person! ;)

When I first started, I actually planned part of my day as reading time--time to read about freelancing and how to freelance and how to write. It was quite productive. Part of the day is also spent researching markets. To truly become successful in freelancing (and I'm not there yet), you have to write some time, and be a business some time. And I dove in into water way over my head, full-bore. But hey, I made all of $300 last month writing. I'm shooting for $700 this month. :)

Oh, and try saying it out loud, "I'm a freelance writer." Then, tell someone.

Autodidact

...in my Maidenform Bra.
Registered
Reaction score
Last year I read around 50 books about freelance magazine writing. I admit that not everyone suffers from the same mental illness as I do, but it helped me a lot.

spacekadet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.monicashaw.com
Oh, and try saying it out loud, "I'm a freelance writer." Then, tell someone.

100% agree with this statement. Being a freelance writer is as easy as that! Say with confidence. If people believe it, then you're as good a freelance writer as anyone else.

jms222

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for ALL your ideas and input! I think I'm beginning to see where the "starting point" is, and also see the work that's involved to take your career to whatever level you desire. Direction and clarity is a wonderful thing to begin to grasp!

Thank you all again!

PS -- I am a Freelance Writer.