Is everyone still submitting to agents, etc...regardless of the economy??

Status
Not open for further replies.

haefner919

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewriterscocoon.blogspot.com
I finished my third novel, edited it, worked on my synopsis and query, and I'm getting to the point where I'm ready to submit...but should I??? A friend suggested I wait a few months till this stimulus goes through??? What are you doing??

miles

agent at The Knight Agency
Registered
Reaction score
Website
knightagency.net
I'd recommend submitting. If an agent really loves it but thinks it may be hard to sell at this point in time, she'll no doubt tell you exactly that. Then, once things are stable again, you can resubmit to the same agent(s) with a note about why they originally rejected it.

Nothing to lose in submitting now. You might get more rejections, but if the reason is economical, you can resubmit to the same agents when things are better (if you don't find anyone willing to take you on).

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Sure, why not submit? I haven't had much time to work on my writing, but when I'm ready, I'm giving it (another) shot.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
400 query letters last month and the same planned for this month. Until they pry this keyboard from my dead cold hand.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I look at it this way--it could take several months before an agent gets to read it and I'll get a contract. Another little bit to get it sold to an editor. If you're waiting for the stimulus to kick in, this seems like the perfect time to get in on the flush end of it instead of later.

Nothing in publishing moves quickly, after all.

Saskatoonistan

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sean-cummings.ca
I am signing with Drollerie after just getting an offer. Always write. Always submit. Keep submitting. People bought books during the Great Depression, they will buy them during the Great Economic Meltdown Of Armageddony Proportions Of 2009, too.

Leukman

Pernicious...n'stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
haefner,

Similar convo here...for more inputs...

CONGRATS Wendy! :hooray:

CONGRATS Sascach, Sacatash, Sa...Toon! :hooray:

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm plugging away.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I am currently submitting. Publishing doesn't look at "today" or even "next week". Publishing looks at "next year" and "two years from now."

But if you're worried about it, you can keep your query at home. Less competition for me. =)

I think the most telling evidence that this is a fine time to submit is the two people above me that just got agents. (Lucky bastards!)

haefner919

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewriterscocoon.blogspot.com
Congrats Wendy and Saskatoonistan!!! That gives me so much hope!!!!!

Clair...sorry, after reading the responses, my queries will definitely be out there!!! LOL!!! Looks like we write different stuff anyway!!!

Thanks everyone. You helped put an end to a debate in my own head!

Deleted member 42

In all honestly, I think the economy has only begun to tank; I think we're in for ten years or more of hardship.

So yes, submit now.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
approximate odds of bagging an agent when economy is good = 1 in 10,000*
approximate odds of bagging an agent when economy is bad = 1 in 12,000
Not much difference, really.

*Odds aren't based on fact. Just stated to make a point. (Probably reflective of actual figures, imo.)

Last edited:

Leukman

Pernicious...n'stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
95% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
Only 5% of them are based on facts, which tend to be only 80% accurate (+/- a 10% to 70% margin of error).

:D

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
95% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
Only 5% of them are based on facts, which tend to be only 80% accurate (+/- a 10% to 70% margin of error).

:D
You left out Eddie Murphy's law.

Atlantis

Registered
Reaction score
I finished my third novel, edited it, worked on my synopsis and query, and I'm getting to the point where I'm ready to submit...but should I??? A friend suggested I wait a few months till this stimulus goes through??? What are you doing??

YES! SUBMIT IT! god, this question bugs me. Just because the economy has gone down the toilet, does not mean the world should stop turning. If writers stop submitting manuscripts to publishers and agents it will hurt the publishing industry. They need us to make money. Just because a couple might've closed their doors to submissions doesn't mean the entire industry is on the verge of collaspe. I think alot of that is hysteria.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Yes. I finished a manuscript, submitted it to fifteen agents on Sunday and got three requests for it yesterday--and three rejections. The economy had no impact on my decision to begin querying. The manuscript was done. *shrug* So I queried it. Just because the big businesses are dropping like flies doesn't mean that my business has to.

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
Mine isn't ready yet either. But there's another good reason to submit now. If your manuscript doesn't garner any interest, you can always blame it on the economy.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Mine isn't ready yet either. But there's another good reason to submit now. If your manuscript doesn't garner any interest, you can always blame it on the economy.
QFT.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Of course I'll submit. My novel's the one that will save the industry. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.