PDA

View Full Version : Is everyone still submitting to agents, etc...regardless of the economy??

haefner919
03-03-2009, 08:19 PM
I finished my third novel, edited it, worked on my synopsis and query, and I'm getting to the point where I'm ready to submit...but should I??? A friend suggested I wait a few months till this stimulus goes through??? What are you doing??

miles
03-03-2009, 09:09 PM
I'd recommend submitting. If an agent really loves it but thinks it may be hard to sell at this point in time, she'll no doubt tell you exactly that. Then, once things are stable again, you can resubmit to the same agent(s) with a note about why they originally rejected it.

Nothing to lose in submitting now. You might get more rejections, but if the reason is economical, you can resubmit to the same agents when things are better (if you don't find anyone willing to take you on).

CaroGirl
03-03-2009, 09:11 PM
I am, yes.

Alpha Echo
03-03-2009, 09:12 PM
Sure, why not submit? I haven't had much time to work on my writing, but when I'm ready, I'm giving it (another) shot.

Wayne K
03-03-2009, 09:23 PM
400 query letters last month and the same planned for this month. Until they pry this keyboard from my dead cold hand.

DeleyanLee
03-03-2009, 09:26 PM
I look at it this way--it could take several months before an agent gets to read it and I'll get a contract. Another little bit to get it sold to an editor. If you're waiting for the stimulus to kick in, this seems like the perfect time to get in on the flush end of it instead of later.

Nothing in publishing moves quickly, after all.

WendyNYC
03-03-2009, 09:32 PM
I just signed with an agent yesterday, so I vote yes.

Saskatoonistan
03-03-2009, 09:37 PM
I am signing with Drollerie after just getting an offer. Always write. Always submit. Keep submitting. People bought books during the Great Depression, they will buy them during the Great Economic Meltdown Of Armageddony Proportions Of 2009, too.

Leukman
03-03-2009, 09:50 PM
haefner,

Similar convo here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133109)...for more inputs...

CONGRATS Wendy! :hooray:

CONGRATS Sascach, Sacatash, Sa...Toon! :hooray:

Greenwolf103
03-03-2009, 09:57 PM
When the time allows, yes, I'm querying agents. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

firedrake
03-03-2009, 09:58 PM
I'm plugging away.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Clair Dickson
03-03-2009, 10:48 PM
I am currently submitting. Publishing doesn't look at "today" or even "next week". Publishing looks at "next year" and "two years from now."

But if you're worried about it, you can keep your query at home. Less competition for me. =)

I think the most telling evidence that this is a fine time to submit is the two people above me that just got agents. (Lucky bastards!)

haefner919
03-03-2009, 11:11 PM
Congrats Wendy and Saskatoonistan!!! That gives me so much hope!!!!!

Clair...sorry, after reading the responses, my queries will definitely be out there!!! LOL!!! Looks like we write different stuff anyway!!!

Thanks everyone. You helped put an end to a debate in my own head!

Medievalist
03-03-2009, 11:16 PM
In all honestly, I think the economy has only begun to tank; I think we're in for ten years or more of hardship.

So yes, submit now.

Ken
03-03-2009, 11:17 PM
approximate odds of bagging an agent when economy is good = 1 in 10,000*
approximate odds of bagging an agent when economy is bad = 1 in 12,000
Not much difference, really.

*Odds aren't based on fact. Just stated to make a point. (Probably reflective of actual figures, imo.)

Leukman
03-03-2009, 11:34 PM
95% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
Only 5% of them are based on facts, which tend to be only 80% accurate (+/- a 10% to 70% margin of error).

:D

Wayne K
03-04-2009, 12:22 AM
95% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
Only 5% of them are based on facts, which tend to be only 80% accurate (+/- a 10% to 70% margin of error).

:D
You left out Eddie Murphy's law.

Atlantis
03-04-2009, 12:30 AM
I finished my third novel, edited it, worked on my synopsis and query, and I'm getting to the point where I'm ready to submit...but should I??? A friend suggested I wait a few months till this stimulus goes through??? What are you doing??

YES! SUBMIT IT! god, this question bugs me. Just because the economy has gone down the toilet, does not mean the world should stop turning. If writers stop submitting manuscripts to publishers and agents it will hurt the publishing industry. They need us to make money. Just because a couple might've closed their doors to submissions doesn't mean the entire industry is on the verge of collaspe. I think alot of that is hysteria.

mscelina
03-04-2009, 12:42 AM
Yes. I finished a manuscript, submitted it to fifteen agents on Sunday and got three requests for it yesterday--and three rejections. The economy had no impact on my decision to begin querying. The manuscript was done. *shrug* So I queried it. Just because the big businesses are dropping like flies doesn't mean that my business has to.

DMarie84
03-04-2009, 01:38 AM
I'm not at the point of submitting yet, but when it's done, I'm still sending it off. :)

BfloGal
03-04-2009, 04:34 PM
Mine isn't ready yet either. But there's another good reason to submit now. If your manuscript doesn't garner any interest, you can always blame it on the economy.

Wayne K
03-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Mine isn't ready yet either. But there's another good reason to submit now. If your manuscript doesn't garner any interest, you can always blame it on the economy.
QFT.

Phaeal
03-04-2009, 09:52 PM
Of course I'll submit. My novel's the one that will save the industry. ;)

Madisonwrites
03-05-2009, 06:16 AM
Submit. I am. There's no sense in waiting.

Good luck and happy writing! :D