IN AVERAGE how much do you think a first time author gets in advance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chimita

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.monicabw.com
HI!
My husband keeps on pushing me to find a job, but I'm so thrilled writing... and taking care of my 3 children at home.
So far I had 2 requests for my novel, and I'd love to polish my WIP,
but my husband keeps on asking me how much would I get in advance if I --cross my fingers and toes-- get to publish my first book.
I know the $ varies from book to book, but how much do you think a first time (agented) author gets in advance for a publishing deal? (average)
thanks for reading :)

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
There are a lot of threads that answer this question, and unfortunately, the average advance for an unknown author is around $5000. And that's before your agent's 15%, usually divvied out over three payments (signing, delivery, publication). Some divide it up over two (signing and delivery), others four.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
I'd guess somewhere between $5,000 and $8,000. There are famous exceptions but they're few and far between (not to say that you couldn't get an awesome S Meyer type advance, just that it's a bit like winning the lottery).

One thing to factor in would be the age of your children and the cost of daycare (if applicable).

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
There are a lot of threads that answer this question, and unfortunately, the average advance for an unknown author is around $5000. And that's before your agent's 15%, usually divvied out over three payments (signing, delivery, publication). Some divide it up over two (signing and delivery), others four.

and don't forget setting aside the IRS's share. Ugh.

popbunny

Registered
Reaction score
My first book was a non-fiction, and the advance was $5,000. $1,000 paid on signing, $2,000 paid on submission of manuscript, $2,000 on publication. Six years later, I earned out the advance (at $2 per book) and it's earned me $6,700 total so far.

chimita

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.monicabw.com
Oh! I guess my hubby's right LOL
I'll have to get a job... Unless I "win the lottery" with this book :)
Thanks to everyone for posting your comments!

Status
Not open for further replies.