Vacation Destinations -- Tell us where it is and why it's so awesome

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For a simple outdoor getaway, I'll offer Fall Creek Falls State Park in Tennessee.

fall_creek_falls_tn1.jpg

Fall_Creek_Falls1.jpg

Fall_Creek_Falls-Overlook.jpg

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
My house. I'll explain when you get here.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
DSCN5119_452x260.jpg

Langley, WA. The greatest place on the face of the planet.

Quaint little town along the beaches of Whidbey Island.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Algonquin Provincial Park, Ontario

AlgonquinJuly2005001.jpg

AlgonquinJuly2005017.jpg

AlgonquinJuly2005056.jpg

AlgonquinJuly2005099.jpg

Though I wouldn't mind visiting alleycat's park in Tennessee...

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like my kinda town, James.

There's an awesome little pizza place there along the main drag too. They have these pepporin shapped meatbeals (flat and round). Weirdest thing I ever saw on a pizza, but delicious.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
How about during the summer?
Summer here is heaven. It's one of the few places close to civilization where animals still live. Bear, coyotes, foxeseses, beaver, deer. I'm only 90 minutes from NYC.

Fingers

My cat Toby
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in the woods around Portland Oregon
Portland Oregon is a good place to headquarter yourself for a vacation. You are 90 minutes from the Oregon coast, less than an hour to the coastal mountains. 45 minutes from the Cascade mountain range and Mt Hood 11,290 some feet tall, with the only year round ski area in the continental US. Also within 90 minutes of the high desert region of eastern oregon. 20 minutes from the entrance to the Columbia River Gorge Scenic area. Enough to keep ya busy for weeks.

yer pal Brian

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Mackinac Island-- Just a quiet island in the middle of the gorgeous Great Lakes. Only bikes and horses to get around. My favorite part was biking around M-185 (aka the only road without auto traffic.) The far side of the island is so quiet and peaceful.

Something very soothing about the clip-clop of horses. Even the UPS guy uses a horse-drawn wagon on Mackinaw Island. Everything just slows down. And the island is full of nice scenery.

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score
If you like nature, then North Florida. West of Gainesville. Along the Suwannee River. The highest number of magnitude one freshwater springs in the country (I think in the world, but I'm not sure). Many of them are State Parks. Florida has the best State Park System in the US. (probably because we get so damn many tourists.)

Here's a link to Manatee Springs State Park. It's one of the prettiest and it's on the Suwannee River. http://www.floridastateparks.org/manateesprings/default.cfm
You can click around and look at the other ones in the area.

If you like history, then St. Augustine, the Oldest City in the US. It's got history, art galleries, beaches, watersports, fishing, golf, blahblahblah. And it isn't overgrown and overdeveloped like Ft. Lauderdale, Daytona Beach, Tampa, St. Pete. blahblahblah. You can still see what Florida looked like before the mouse invaded and built Mouse World in the middle of an orange grove. :)