PDA

View Full Version : What does exclusivity mean (Exactly)?



chimita
03-03-2009, 03:56 PM
Hi!
I wanted to know if exclusivity meant having the first option?
I have my ms on an exclusive basis with an agent, if he offers rep. I'd accept, so he has the first option. Said this, would it be unethical to send the ms to another agent that requested it?

What do you think? would you send the ms to the 2nd agent meanwhile?
Or would you mail the 2nd agent saying that you have it on an exclusive basis and that he will have to wait?
But that leaves me with another question:
If the 2nd agent knows he would read the ms only if it's declined, wouldn't it be a turn down if he receives it after a while?

Thanks for reading :)

KTC
03-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Exclusivity means they want to be the only agent reviewing it. You would be going against the agreement to send it to another agent. Having said this, people do it all the time. I guess it's a moral decision.

chimita
03-03-2009, 11:20 PM
Thanks KTC, I'll keep that in mind :)

Fulk
03-04-2009, 01:48 AM
Exclusivity means they want to be the only agent reviewing it. You would be going against the agreement to send it to another agent. Having said this, people do it all the time. I guess it's a moral decision.

Of course, they say publishing is a very small world, and if two agents were to find out they both had a manuscript that was supposed to be exclusive, it might damage that author's chances of being published. Some may choose to do it, but I don't think it's worth it.

chimita
03-04-2009, 02:06 AM
Thanks Fulk, that's very wise. I don't think it's worth it either.
What do you think it's the best to do in that case? Tell agent number 2 to wait? wouldn't that be a turn down?
thanks!

scope
03-04-2009, 03:41 AM
If you haven't given the first agent a time frame for exclusivity, you should. You don't want to be waiting for what could be months on end for a decision and be unable to submit to others. Perhaps the agent states in her guidelines how long the period will be?
If not, I think 8 weeks is more than fair. Communicate with her.

KTC
03-04-2009, 04:18 AM
Of course, they say publishing is a very small world, and if two agents were to find out they both had a manuscript that was supposed to be exclusive, it might damage that author's chances of being published. Some may choose to do it, but I don't think it's worth it.

I agree with you completely.

chimita
03-04-2009, 02:28 PM
HE told me 4 weeks. Then maybe I don't tell anything to agent Number 2 and just send it if agent 1 declines, or the 4 weeks pass?
And thanks again! :) :)

KTC
03-04-2009, 02:32 PM
HE told me 4 weeks. Then maybe I don't tell anything to agent Number 2 and just send it if agent 1 declines, or the 4 weeks pass?
And thanks again! :) :)


Agent number 2 doesn't know that you're not off on a month long tropical cruise, right. I got a request for a full and didn't send it in for 3 weeks. I don't think the agent think you're hitting refresh on your inbox waiting for their request. Life happens too.

chimita
03-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Great Then!!!
I'm on a "tropical cruise" (I wish, LOL)
Thanks KTC, I think that's exactly what I wanted to hear :)

scope
03-05-2009, 04:43 AM
If no positive reply from agent 1 after 4 weeks send a letter (email) noting that the exclusivity period has expired. Don't say much else,and certainly don't say that you are withdrawing the manuscript from her consideration. The following day send it off to agent number 2.

chimita
03-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Thanks scope, I'll do that.
The 4 week period last until Friday. I'm crossing my fingers for a positive answer :D