PDA

View Full Version : Buying an Island?

Horserider
03-03-2009, 08:28 AM
Is buying an island feasible? How does that work when a new island is discovered? Who is considered the "owner" if it is uninhabited? How much would it cost to buy the island and to whom would the money be paid to?

So many questions.... anyone know the answers please?

Medievalist
03-03-2009, 08:36 AM
Err. . . depending on the time period, it's fairly easy.

Google "buy an island" and such.

I know people who are wealthy, but not ultra wealthy, who have bought islands off the coast of Maine. They're small, and they're used seasonally for ice fishing and similar pursuits.

Horserider
03-03-2009, 08:39 AM
Time period would be now. :) Thanks I'll have to google it in the morning.

Vincent
03-03-2009, 08:41 AM
I doubt there's an island, reef or rock that isn't owned or claimed by a nation today. Some have tried to get around this by making their own islands nations. Google micronations.

Horserider
03-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Well for Shipwrecked it's essential that this is a uninhabited island. I'm just overlooking that impracticality of that particular piece of information. ;)

Pilot
03-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Is buying an island feasible? How does that work when a new island is discovered? Who is considered the "owner" if it is uninhabited? How much would it cost to buy the island and to whom would the money be paid to?

So many questions.... anyone know the answers please?

There are islands for sale in the Caribbean. No different than buying a lot for a home, really. Just more money. There are some around Barbados you can pick up for about 1.5 mil, the last I knew. Also some in the med and the Indian Ocean. Available in any body of water, really.

Horserider
03-03-2009, 08:55 AM
What about an island that is undiscovered?

Medievalist
03-03-2009, 09:11 AM
In this era, there aren't any undiscovered islands.

Pilot
03-03-2009, 09:18 AM
What about an island that is undiscovered?

Medievalist is right. With satellites it's all discovered. About your only hope would be the formation of a new island due to volcanic activity, which does happen from time to time.

Mumut
03-03-2009, 09:22 AM
Lots of islands are owned privately off the Australian coast. For new islands, look to Iceland. Very volcanic. New islands were born there 20 or 30 years ago and increased the area of the country. They were claimed by the country and owned by the government of the country.

In areas of thousands of coral atols, not all of them need to be named but they are owned by the country.

Red.Ink.Rain
03-03-2009, 09:35 AM
There are probably a lot of islands in the Philippines that haven't been explored very much, and are uninhabited. Um...maybe the Virgin Islands? Honestly, I have no idea. Sorry. That wasn't very helpful. Lol.

eyeblink
03-03-2009, 10:57 AM
Some Scottish islands are privately owned. Also some Channel Islands.

Horserider
03-03-2009, 10:20 PM
Let's just PRETEND that there is an island in the Pacific Ocean that hasn't been discovered yet (which is impossible with google earth). THEN what would the answer to my questions be? It's not like any of this is real, it is fiction. :D

RJK
03-03-2009, 10:54 PM
Some government would claim sovereignty and the potential buyer would have to deal with that government. A title search would be conducted and, of course, there would be no record of previous owner, so the property would be deeded by the government to the buyer.
I dealt with similar situations in Saipan where General MacArthur deeded plots of land to people for their assistance in the war effort. In 1996, these people presented letters, signed by MacArthur, proving they owned the land they had been living on. We (the US Federal Government) had to honor the letters as an official deed, even though they had never been recorded before that date. General Douglas MacArthur was the Supreme Allied Commander of the Pacific theater at that time (WWII), and had the authority to grant land.

talkwrite
03-05-2009, 02:13 AM
O.k. I was going to toss around the irony of buying an "undiscovered" island but the concept of Territorial waters possession would clear all that up in a heartbeat.

So to really give you concrete help- you can find islands , inhabited and uninhabited listed for sale in the back of any issue of Islands magazine. Email any seller and they will tell you the how's and why's. Most of them a re really quite friendly, speaking from experience.

Horserider
03-05-2009, 02:26 AM
There is an Islands magazine?

dreamsofnever
03-18-2009, 09:50 AM
So, I know this thread is older, but one of the things I have to contribute is that buying an island is doable. But the big expense is getting plumbing and electricity set up there.

And there are plenty of islands up for sale in the Bahamas that don't have anyone living on them. So if your pair got shipwrecked, they could very easily be on an island that's 'discovered' but uninhabited. Just because it's mapped on Google Earth doesn't mean that the search crew is going to know to look there (they'd probably be looking at every island and so on and so forth)