Printing in India..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ewhitney

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I need some advice. I'm about to finish a 400 page book and want to publish it myself. I have been looking for quotes from different printing companies and the best prices I have gotten came from India--the downside is that it takes for ever (45 days) to deliver the books and I am not sure how safe it is to have my work printed somewhere else.
Do any of you have experience working with a printer outside the US? What would you recommend?

Thank you in advance!

Keyan

ubiquitous
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the quality you'd get from India.

Things may have changed, but at least until recently, Indian books were relatively inexpensive, but the paper, printing, and binding were just not the same quality. Even in India, high-end books would be printed in Singapore or elsewhere in Asia.

And if you weren't satisfied with the quality, sorting it out with the printer would be a royal pain.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have to self publish? Have you tried finding an agent/publisher? If not, I'd suggest you read the threads and try that way. Otherwise, I've a friend who gets his books printed in Hong Kong and is very satisfied. And a trip there to talk with the publishers (his family went only to carry his baggage) was all tax deductible. He's just got the problem of finding markets for a garage full of books.

Tom Johnson

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www15.brinkster.com
I had dealings with one publisher in India. Sanbun Publishers of New Delhi. The book "looks" nice, but I was promised it would be in all of their bookstores, etc. However, that was in 2005, and I never received a cent in Royalties, nor any statements. Personally, I think you might be better off listening to Mamut than going with an Indian publisher. I thought I had an International contract for my book, but ... (I was told it would be sold all over that area of the world.)

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
. . .
Do any of you have experience working with a printer outside the US? What would you recommend?

Thank you in advance!
Some of my independent publisher friends have gotten excellent work from overseas printers. At least one has used Chinese printer(s). The price advantage has doubtless shrunk along with the shrinking of the U.S. dollar, but still has to be substantial.

(Some of the folks commenting on your post seem to be confused about the difference between a printer and a subsidy publisher, by the way.)

You might want to noodle around www.parapublishing.com and see what Dan Poynter has to offer on the topic. Other information sources include http://www.pma-online.org/ and http://www.spannet.org/ .

--Ken

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Printers in China are often very cheap, and offer excellent quality. Years ago I worked at a publisher which used a couple of Indian printers and the quality wasn't too good, and nor was the whole experience of using them... if you're going to print overseas then I'd suggest you look to China rather than India, but will admit that my experience is a few years out of date.

Status
Not open for further replies.