PDA

View Full Version : Coming out Party

popmuze
03-02-2009, 11:39 PM
After nearly four years and 1343 posts, I've finally decided to reveal my real name, for those who are interesting in such things: Bruce Pollock.

What am I supposed to do with it now, use it as part of my signature, along with some of my publications? How would I do that.

Anyway, now that I've come clean, rather than feeling better, I've just decided to write the rest of my novels under a pseudonym: Spencer Benedict.

Anyone know where I got that name from?

Wayne K
03-02-2009, 11:46 PM
You really need to change the thread title. I was so looking forward to something else.

Williebee
03-02-2009, 11:47 PM
Well, that explains the username.

Maryn
03-03-2009, 12:04 AM
Hiya, Bruce. Maybe one day I'll share my real name.

Just not yet.

"Maryn," who isn't as she seems

Wayne K
03-03-2009, 12:19 AM
I didn't know that people don't like to share their names. Why?

robeiae
03-03-2009, 12:20 AM
My real name is HB Marcus.

James81
03-03-2009, 12:26 AM
My real first name is Rufus.

Stew21
03-03-2009, 12:32 AM
You're the Bruce Pollock who helped judge our "song that changed my life" contest?

Cool!

Calla Lily
03-03-2009, 12:33 AM
I didn't know that people don't like to share their names. Why?

Cyberstalkers.

Wayne K
03-03-2009, 12:39 AM
Cyberstalkers.
In want stalkers, but then again I'm an attention whore.

Medievalist
03-03-2009, 12:40 AM
My real name is Medievalist.

I am not a debutante.

popmuze
03-03-2009, 01:00 AM
Cyberstalkers.

Now you tell me.

Atani
03-03-2009, 01:07 AM
Now you tell me.

They'll find you if they really want to anyway... they can look back at your email address and other things. My name is just boring, hence I like to use my favorite character's name as mine when I can :)

Williebee
03-03-2009, 01:10 AM
I don't have a "real" name. But then, I'm not a "real" boy. Or, perhaps I should refer you to my sig.

C.bronco
03-03-2009, 01:14 AM
:D
Spencer Davis Group, Eggs Benedict (because you like brunch?) That's my guess.

I know people can find me in the phone book anyway, and if I were famous, they would discover where my agent works etc etc.

popmuze
03-03-2009, 02:06 AM
:D
Spencer Davis Group, Eggs Benedict (because you like brunch?) That's my guess.

Not even close. So I guess my secret is safe.

KTC
03-03-2009, 02:09 AM
After nearly four years and 1343 posts, I've finally decided to reveal my real name, for those who are interesting in such things: Bruce Pollock.

What am I supposed to do with it now, use it as part of my signature, along with some of my publications? How would I do that.

Anyway, now that I've come clean, rather than feeling better, I've just decided to write the rest of my novels under a pseudonym: Spencer Benedict.

Anyone know where I got that name from?

Hey! You chose my entry in the music contest a while back. I was sent your WORKING MUSICIANS book...it was excellent! I'd recommend it to any music lover. Thanks for choosing my piece!

Devil Ledbetter
03-03-2009, 02:15 AM
My real name is Devil Ledbetter. It was my mother who got it all wrong.

Write4U2
03-03-2009, 02:37 AM
Heh. I legally changed my name. I absolutely, unequivacally, adverbally, HATED my birth name.

It SUCKED the life out of me.

I wanted to change it in the worst way, and when I told my mother, she said, "Over my dead body!!!"

So when she passed away...

-Lauren

popmuze
03-03-2009, 02:41 AM
Hey! You chose my entry in the music contest a while back. I was sent your WORKING MUSICIANS book...it was excellent! I'd recommend it to any music lover. Thanks for choosing my piece!

Now you can help me choose a title for my latest book. See my dilemma in the non-fiction section.

Devil Ledbetter
03-03-2009, 02:46 AM
Heh. I legally changed my name. I absolutely, unequivacally, adverbally, HATED my birth name.

It SUCKED the life out of me.

I wanted to change it in the worst way, and when I told my mother, she said, "Over my dead body!!!"

So when she passed away...

-LaurenI had an aunt who changed her name the day she turned 18. I can't say I blame her.

Write4U2
03-03-2009, 04:29 AM
I had an aunt who changed her name the day she turned 18. I can't say I blame her.

What was her name? I would gag if I told you mine.

KTC
03-03-2009, 04:32 AM
My real name is Devil Ledbetter. It was my mother who got it all wrong.

I know your real name. I know your real name.

That's what happens when you hang out in a bar together. You share your real names. (-;

Write4U2
03-03-2009, 04:42 AM
I know your real name. I know your real name.

That's what happens when you hang out in a bar together. You share your real names. (-;

Pssst...KTC, what's the little devil's real name? You can tell me. Whisper it; nobody else will hear!;)

KTC
03-03-2009, 05:51 AM
Pssst...KTC, what's the little devil's real name? You can tell me. Whisper it; nobody else will hear!;)

You'll never find out from me. I don't drink and tell.

Susie
03-03-2009, 05:55 AM
My real name really is susie. :)

2old2pb
03-03-2009, 06:00 AM
I'm glad most don't know my name. 6.7 billion introductions will take quite a while, right?

Maryn
03-03-2009, 06:50 AM
I didn't know that people don't like to share their names. Why?I've told this little story here before, but obviously it's been a while.

I used to moderate a special interest chat. We didn't have a lot of rules, but we did insist members not use a small number of words generally considered offensive. One guy did, was warned, did it again in an in-your-face way, and I gave him a temporary ban. When he returned a week later, he acted all remorseful and suck-uppy but was using private chat and PMs to gather as much information about me and the chat's owner as he could find. I hadn't shared my whole name with anyone, but one knew my first name, another my last, one my state, another that I wrote, and so on.

Chat members who'd exchanged emails with this man received one from his wife, who'd sent it to everyone in his address book. He'd left, taking the family car and leaving his medication, without explanation. The revolver was also missing. Did anybody know where he was? She was so worried.

I lived much closer than the chat's owner. He got within about 80 miles of my town and killed himself in a motel after phoning someone we both knew at chat and saying he couldn't find me.

So I'm keeping my name to myself and those I've met in person who seem normal. Well, them plus robeiae. :tongue

Maryn, who stole this name from a kid in her daughter's kindergarten

BenPanced
03-03-2009, 06:53 AM
I'm Spartacus.

kristie911
03-03-2009, 06:58 AM
So I'm keeping my name to myself and those I've met in person who seem normal. Well, them plus robeiae. :tongue

I know it! I know it! But then again, we all know how special I am.

I'll let you all in on a secret. My last name isn't really 911.

Write4U2
03-03-2009, 07:06 AM
You'll never find out from me. I don't drink and tell.

{{Lauren whispers, *Rats.*}}:rant:

maestrowork
03-03-2009, 07:14 AM
My real name is Hugh Jorgan.

Matera the Mad
03-03-2009, 07:28 AM
It's not that hard to find my real name, location and all. It's been done. *shrug* Hi, Bruce. The thread title did intrigue one of my characters...but he has a good sense of humor.

Cassiopeia
03-03-2009, 08:18 AM
My real name might as well be Cassie, everyone calls me that anyway...even when they know my REAL name. ;)

Write4U2
03-03-2009, 09:12 AM

Mine is Lotta Breste.

Joe270
03-03-2009, 10:16 AM
I'll let you all in on a secret. My last name isn't really 911.

My last name isn't 270, either.

My real name might as well be Cassie, everyone calls me that anyway...even when they know my REAL name.

Hey, I do that, too. You just seem so much like a Cassio, or a Cassie. But you do have a very nice real name, too.

Cassiopeia
03-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Why thank you Joey! :Hug2:

BenPanced
03-03-2009, 10:37 AM

Mine is Lotta Breste.
Mine's actually Ivanna Smooch. I go by Spartacus, my middle name.

kristie911
03-03-2009, 11:10 AM

Really? I heard it was Hugh Jass. :)

Wayne K
03-03-2009, 03:31 PM
I've told this little story here before, but obviously it's been a while.

I used to moderate a special interest chat. We didn't have a lot of rules, but we did insist members not use a small number of words generally considered offensive. One guy did, was warned, did it again in an in-your-face way, and I gave him a temporary ban. When he returned a week later, he acted all remorseful and suck-uppy but was using private chat and PMs to gather as much information about me and the chat's owner as he could find. I hadn't shared my whole name with anyone, but one knew my first name, another my last, one my state, another that I wrote, and so on.

Chat members who'd exchanged emails with this man received one from his wife, who'd sent it to everyone in his address book. He'd left, taking the family car and leaving his medication, without explanation. The revolver was also missing. Did anybody know where he was? She was so worried.

I lived much closer than the chat's owner. He got within about 80 miles of my town and killed himself in a motel after phoning someone we both knew at chat and saying he couldn't find me.

Maryn, who stole this name from a kid in her daughter's kindergarten
That's scary. It's also the reason I defend my right to keep firearms. I'm a lovely half-man/pacifist until someone threatens me and mine.

KTC
03-03-2009, 03:34 PM
WOW, Maryn! No wonder you run whenever you see my canoe hitting Lake Ontario's south shore. Now I don't blame you. That's F'in scary. Poor man was obviously very sick. I'm glad he didn't get to you. Tragic that he didn't receive help.

Maryn
03-03-2009, 05:29 PM
Yeah. While it's scary that he would have killed me over a stupid temporary chat ban, overall it's just sad that he was so ill and nobody got him any help. His wife never phoned police. His user name was HarmlessHerb, but he wasn't harmless to himself.

Unfortunately, I see people who are clearly mentally ill and quite possibly a danger to themselves or others almost daily online. Many are single moms raising kids, and so clearly not in touch with reality that I can't imagine those kids growing up to be normal.

Okay, back to the topic at hand. How's your morning going, Bruce?

Maryn, whose coffee has gone cold

Mr Flibble
03-03-2009, 05:35 PM
Well this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhmefrDhWu4) is me. I impersonate a woman on a daily basis.

Or is this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Z._Knight) me? Initials are right, so coooould be :D

Wayne K
03-03-2009, 07:19 PM
I impersonate a woman who is confused and had a sex change and then cross dressed and found out who he/she really is, but hates that person and acts like a man who is a little feminine.

popmuze
03-03-2009, 08:12 PM
Okay, back to the topic at hand. How's your morning going, Bruce?

Thanks for asking. I just found out my book is already being advertised online (and me and the editor are still arguing over a title). Hmmmm.

WittyWordsmith
03-04-2009, 02:26 AM
I understand the hesitation of giving out personal info. I'm sure I should be much more scared than I am, really. Unfortunately, this day in the technology age, if someone wants to find you bad enough, they probably will.

I've got a past that's pretty involved legally (no, I'm not a convict), so I know that a paper trail to my door isn't so hard, regardless of what I may do to escape it. I just try to keep my NUMBERS personal, because name/location etc. is already out in the world enough.

Wayne K
03-04-2009, 02:53 AM
I've got a past that's pretty involved legally (no, I'm not a convict),.
Spill it! C'mon, you can make it witty and smithy.

Smithy?

eyeblink
03-04-2009, 02:56 AM
My real name isn't unique, though my surname is unusually spelled. However, if you google my real name almost all of the hits refer to me. (One exception was the website that claimed I was a founder member of a well-known 90s rock band - different person, different first name, same surname, two years older, no relation AFAIK. Another exception was the site of a plant hire business I don't run in Ontario.)

WittyWordsmith
03-04-2009, 03:06 AM
Well... you asked for it.

Age 3 I was "injured" in some pretty horrible ways at an Army Day Care. In court 'til age 13 when a settlement was reached.

Age 18 I was sued by my parents and the lawyer who drafted the trust the money went into FOR the money that had already been stolen, that was settled (to an extent) at age 20.
Age 20 went after the lawyer for "breach of fiduciary duty and conspiracy to commit fraud against a minor." Went to court in 2005 after a week-long probate trial in front of a 12 person jury, and won. Judgment entered in 2006.

Lawyer happens to be in the Estate field of the law and has somehow managed to keep from paying up thus far, but here's the rub: I'm young. As long as he may still have yet to live, I will be paid one way or another... Even if I have to go to the morgue and pull it out his arse end myself.

So, you see, anybody who knows my name could easily find out a whole world of information on me... likely much more than they'd want.

Besides, when I write my book, it's gonna be a tell-all.

End of De-rail.

Devil Ledbetter
03-04-2009, 03:22 AM
What was her name? I would gag if I told you mine.Well, my grandmother was a dear sweet lady from Tennessee and had some quaint ideas about what would be a pretty name. She named my aunt Pansy Anne.

maestrowork
03-04-2009, 04:22 AM
Really? I heard it was Hugh Jass. :)

OK, you got me.

My real name is Kumquat Chow. My parents hate me.

Jean Marie
03-04-2009, 04:51 AM
OK, you got me.

My real name is Kumquat Chow. My parents hate me.
I thought it was in reverse. Oh well.

You know your parents love you, liar.