J-School at the age of 30? Will it be worth it?

Crystal Lewis

Courageous Dreamer
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am an aspiring writer who will be 30 years old in three weeks. When I started college at the age of 18, I wanted to study journalism, but I didn't have the confidence to compete with the other students for one of the limited available slots. I enrolled in other majors, but didn't experience the passion I feel when I write. This caused me to flunk out of college. I returned to an adult degree program at the age of 25 so that I could attend school at night. I have my Associate of Science in Business Administration and I will have a Bachelor's degree in business this summer. My goal when I went back to school was to get a four-year degree that would help me to enter PR so that I could parlay it into a writing career.

Now that I am older, more focused, and more confident of my abilities, I am thinking about going to J-School for a Master's degree to get some of the skills I lack. I have read that I don't need to go to Journalism school to become a respected writer, but I am worried that my lack of knowledge about the legal responsibilities and styles of writing will hold me back.

The problem is that I wouldn't be able to start attending classes until Fall of 2010 because the application deadline for this year has passed at most colleges. I am also worried that I might be a little too old to defer my career two more years. (I wouldn't graduate until the age of 32).

What do you think? Should I go and just continue to freelance while I'm there? Are there alternatives to J-School that might also help a dreamer like me?

Last edited:

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
If you have the time, you can always enroll in an on-line program. I've taken classes that way and if you take it from an accredited institution, you should be fine. That way you can start at any time (in many cases) without having to attend classes. Either way, I'd continue freelancing!

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
You don't need a degree to write. You do need a degree to teach - and to get certain other jobs. What are your NEEDS ? Identify those, and you'll better understand the best STRATEGY for meeting those needs.

It's never 'too late' to go back to school. I know a woman who went back to school and got her bacherlors at 37, then law school to graduate at 40. Graduated top of her class and got a top notch law job. I know a man who went back to school to get his law degree at 67 - graduating at 70 and was offered a job.

Study what interests you, and/or what might be required to meet a specific need.

Write now.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
As WriteKnight noted, you're never too old to learn. My favourite Ann Landers (or was it Dear Abby?) column, featured a middle-aged man asking her advice about whether he was too old to pursue a career as a doctor. His letter ended with the (paraphrased) words, "In seven years, when I graduate as an MD, I'll be 68 years old."

Her response was, "How old will you be in seven years if you don't become a doctor?"

That said, a degree in Journalism doesn't make Freelance doors swing wide open. As I mentioned in a response to another thread of yours, the writing is the thing.

Those legal aspects you mentioned are why god made editors and publishers. Let them sort it out with the lawyers they've got on staff. ;)

Crystal Lewis

Courageous Dreamer
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much. I agree that we're never too old to learn. I am going to continue to mull this over, especially now that I'm developing a better understanding of the opportunities that exist for freelancers.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
As WriteKnight noted, you're never too old to learn. My favourite Ann Landers (or was it Dear Abby?) column, featured a middle-aged man asking her advice about whether he was too old to pursue a career as a doctor. His letter ended with the (paraphrased) words, "In seven years, when I graduate as an MD, I'll be 68 years old."

Her response was, "How old will you be in seven years if you don't become a doctor?"

That's brilliant. I have a great aunt who faced the same dilemma in her early forties. I think she's always regretted that she didn't pursue a career in medicine.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
No real advice but best of luck to you, whichever decision you choose.

Crystal Lewis

Courageous Dreamer
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Kathleen. A friend of mine who wasn't aware of my internal conflict about this called me on Friday to lament about his list of shoulda-coulda-wouldas. He talked a lot about the things he wishes he would have done with his life by now. He's nearing forty, is married now, and has two children. I am single with no children.

When I heard his sorrow song about the roads he could've traveled, I asked myself if I might feel that way 10 years from now if I don't seize the moment while I can.

I hung up the phone thinking that maybe that conversation was a divine sign. He called me out of the blue with that. Interesting, huh?

Thanks for your kind words. =)

spacekadet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.monicashaw.com
Hi Crystal. Just commented on your blog but I will repeat here - you don't need J School. To be a writer, all you have to do is write. You can learn the business side through advice from people like us, personal experience, the web, etc. I took a night class on "Freelance Writing" at London's City University (not a degree program). It was so much fun and it taught me everything I needed. I also went to a workshop provided by the UK Government on "Becoming Self Employed". You don't need J School to make contacts - you're already on Twitter. You have a blog. You're getting out there!

Of course, there are huge benefits to J school too and I'm sure it would help you get your foot in the door. Whatever you do, congratulations and good luck. It's so much fun!

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
I never bothered with a degree for my freelance writing, although I took journalism classes in high school and my initial community college years. But I returned to school for my psych. degree in my late 20s and it took me till nearly 40 to complete the doctorate. It takes a lot of time and focus, and thank goodness I also had a very supportive husband who understood my crabbiness when major assignments were due and who doesn't mind taking on certain housecleaning duties (although he still refuses to do litter boxes and bird cages). If you do go for the degree, don't let that stop you from writing now. I sell regularly and don't think having a journalism degree would make any difference. You might even want to get a different degree if it would help in the area you'd like to write in (my psych. credentials do help with some magazines and helped get me a book contract). Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

Crystal Lewis

Courageous Dreamer
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Inkkognito. I love reading posts from people who have been able to experience success without a journalism degree. During the past few days, I've been leaning away from the thought of spending a ton of money on an M.A. in Journalism because there are so many people here who have had great careers without J-School. Thank you!

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
I don't have any degrees or even any classes in Journalism, English, or anything close. Then again, I'm not exactly making my living at freelancing (but not due to lack of trying).

JamieL

Registered
Reaction score
A possibility you may want to consider is earning a grad degree in a field other than journalism. Here's why this is sometimes a good idea:

1. You'll be able to develop a niche area of writing and will be seen as an expert in a particular field. I've been able to get a lot of higher-paying writing gigs due to my credentials in education (grad degree and former teacher). The people hiring weren't just looking for a writer; they were looking for a writer with specialized knowledge about education. So, you could earn a degree in horticulture, psychology, health sciences, or whatever, and make a name for yourself as an expert writer in that subject.

2. You may be able to fit in some writing / journalism courses while you're at it. If you're looking to improve some of your skills, the college you attend may let you enroll or observe the writing courses you'd like to learn from. The credit probably won't go towards your degree, but it'll help you develop more writing confidence.

The downside of this plan is that once you specialize, it's kind of hard to go back to a broad range of writing assignments. I have so many interests in addition to education - but sometimes I feel like I'm diluting my specialization if I branch out too much.

Also, I should probably point out that it's possible to be seen in an expert in a field without any formal education at all. If you already have a lot of niche experience or know how to get it, going back to school may not help in that regard.

Good luck with your decision!

zoomusic

doing it word by word
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of the above posts hit on really key issues--there's a lot of good advice here. I will put in my 2 cents: I went back to school in my mid-30's to get an MFA in writing..I didn't do it to learn to write--I was already publishing in quality journals at that point--I did it b/c I was considering teaching.

Which, well, didn't pan out.

Two things I will offer up:
-Do not underestimate the time that class-work and being a student will take away from your own writing time...I've got some really well-written 25 page papers on all sorts of obscure academic topics...they earned me A's, and they are sitting in files in my file cabinet. Boy, did writing those steal some precious writing time from my work.

-You can end up with student loan debt, thus meaning you have to earn more to pay it back...people who want to earn a living writing may find that debt cumbersome, 'specially if it was acquired by something that's not helping you earn the money.

I don't think the question really is if 30 is too late...of course it's not. But think really hard on where you want to be in five years, and try to evaluate whether going back to school will help you go toward those goals, or possibly hinder you. Degree earning can be cumbersome--so many hoops to jump through that you might not need have jumped through in the long run. As others here have noted, there are all sorts of options for learning the writing without getting the degree--community education courses, online courses, etc.

That said, I want to wish you lots of luck! You are at a very exciting point in your life, Crystal, on your way to building a career as a writer: savor it.

Last edited:

lorcan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
marjorieasturias.blogspot.com
I agree with most people here. Graduate school in any discipline requires a lot of work, not to mention a lot of money. It's tougher to get school loans now that the credit crunch has closed many doors to would-be borrowers. It's also tougher to get jobs after graduation, as even Ph.D's are finding.

You don't need a master's degree in order to become a writer. I've become a correspondent for the local newspaper simply by offering my services to the editor and throwing all kinds of good ideas at him. He recently had to lay off half his reporting staff, but that only means more work for a freelancer such as myself. I never had any formal journalism training, but I do write well and am a quick study. Plus, I read newspapers and magazines voraciously and am always analyzing the structure of a well-told story.

You might want to take some short-term on- and offline courses, such as those offered by Mediabistro.com or many local community colleges. They'll be much cheaper than an entire degree program and will require much less time. Plus, you'll be taught by professional journalists who are out in the "real world" and can give you much more practical guidance in terms of career and how the industry is evolving. Many journalism schools offer the same kind of faculty, but others might also use teaching assistants and tenured academics rather than professionals.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Marjorie

Crystal Lewis

Courageous Dreamer
Registered
Reaction score
I am so thankful to all of you for your replies. While I love the idea of going to J-School to "hone my craft" around other writers, the thought of taking a year off is very unattractive to me. I am also learning so much about the wonderful opportunities that exist for freelancers from this forum. I didn't know it could be so fulfilling. Thanks for your insightful replies. Your advice is not falling on deaf ears. =)