Why are you here?

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Now, that was a pretty leading question, wasn't it?

I'm curious. How many of you, my pagan pretties, visit the pagan forum simply because of your faith, your curiosity or because of an interest in writing in the pagan genre? Have you been published? If so, was it a pagan publisher?

Inquiring minds, and all :D

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Really? How so? I mean, how is this forum one that doesn't tell you? Is it because none of us have it all figured out either? Because, that is very true. :)

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Really? How so? I mean, how is this forum one that doesn't tell you? Is it because none of us have it all figured out either? Because, that is very true. :)
:D You know me too well.

I like the umbrella that Paganism provides for so many of us that can't quite pin ourselves down to one theological category. If that makes any sense.

I'm very eclectic in my spiritual practices and the best way I know how to describe myself is Pagan with a bit of Abrahamic influences thrown in. I'm very much a spiritualist. I follow after many shamanic practices.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
That's very cool.

Do you write pagan themed material? (See, now I'm picking your brain)

Deleted member 42

I duck in now and then since y'all sometimes talk about ancient pagan and neo Pagan practices related to the Celts, and druids.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I knew more actual fact about ancient philosophies. There is so much speculation.

Cass, for myself, I am a perpetually conflicted person. I've studied a lot--LOT--of different philosophies, and I've yet to find out where I truly fit. I'm constantly drawn back to my Christian roots. Thing is, I have found truths in everything. I even find some truth in Satanism, even though that is sort of an anti-faith and more of a promotion of self.

I have one little article published, but that was a couple of years ago. It was in a Llewellyn almanac. That's my big claim to fame so far. LOL!

Last edited:

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
The novel I'm working on is slow going as it requires a great deal of research as well. I'm determined to be as consistent as I can. There's enough misinformation out there, I don't need to add to it. :)

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
That's the thing. So many people are looking for facts that they often take the imaginings of a talented writer and believe them to be true. Many have grabbed onto Necromantic philosophies because of H.P. Lovecraft's gift for storytelling. His books contained some fact, but I believe his stories were also just that--stories. But some argue otherwise and believe that he presented them as stories to get across a true message.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
*nod* yes, and while I want to write as close to factual as I can, it will be fantasy so I want a bit of wiggle room. My concern is how to create something that is believable or enough so that one can suspend their disbelief.

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
*peers around in curiosity*

I never even knew there were subcategories to the Religion forum until I clicked on this link and saw this! :eek: Interesting. Maybe I'll step in here a bit from now on just to see what's here.

Well, at the moment I'm here because I saw the link and clicked it. :D I'm not exactly pagan, but I'm panentheist, and this category seems to fit best. Mythological/spiritual figures from other belief systems regularly find their way into my writing and thoughts. In fact, my main fantasy stories are based around them.

No, not published.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Pagan around these parts is really a broad and non-specific term. Glad you found us! We do seem to hide here among the shrubbery. Sometimes I think we need a Motel 6 light or something! :)

We often seem to get loads of curious lurkers, but only some post here. For example, our old friend the Pagan Chatter thread has had over fifty-five thousand lookers, and yet only a little over two thousand posts.

By the way--if older threads aren't visible any more, try going to the bottom and messing with your settings under the area that asks how you want threads to be displayed. Mine always seems to revert back to only showing threads from the past month. It's under Display Options on the main Pagan Forum page. If you change it to "beginning", you'll see them all. :) There was a time when this was a rockin joint!

Last edited:

Disa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
disawylde.wordpress.com

I'm curious. How many of you, my pagan pretties, visit the pagan forum simply because of your faith, your curiosity or because of an interest in writing in the pagan genre? Have you been published? If so, was it a pagan publisher?

I'm here because I'm drawn to earth-based religions more than any other. (Though I'm hardly religious) I enjoy learning about all metaphysical topics and paganism fits in with that-Also, Pagans are pretty interesting and willing to share what they know and learn what they don't.

So I guess I'd say I visit because of all the things you listed above and because you are all so helpful and open about things.

I have been published in small magazines, and online. I know that one of the Publishers is Pagan, not sure about the other, but they are tarot-related publications. (The next publication is also tarot related- hmm... I started out by writing about spirits, not sure how I wound up being published only for tarot related publications but so far, it's working for me :) )

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry I am just now getting back in here. I check daily, but for some reason this thread wasn't flagged for me as having a new post.

I'm kinda like you. I'm basically an earth child who wants to learn.

Glad you like it here. It would be nice if things were more active like they were a while back. If you change your options, you can view threads from ages ago. There's lots of fun and interesting things here. :)

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score

Yes, I thought you meant the big question. Why are we here?*gulp*

This is much easier. I'm a Wiccan and I write in the paranormal genre. My first two books-(picked up by Samhain pub--hehe) are about an everyday witch and her coven who gets involved in solving murders. The third is about witches, fae, shape shifters and vampires.

Although they are called Samhain they pub alot of romance.

Aydan Knight

Registered
Reaction score
I'm here, mostly, out of curiosity. As others have said, I have found truths in many different religious structures, including the various tenets under the broad umbrella of "paganism". I find the different traditions and beliefs fascinating. :D

I'm not published (yet) but my first full work definitely has pagan flavor. It deals with elemental powers and the ability to manipulate energy. More specifically, it deals with the 'spirit realm', or as I call it "beyond the veil" that separates the physical realm from the spirit.

skunkmelon

Randomly curious
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferponce.com
I consider myself pagan since I make it up as I go and don't like religious rules. I always try to add a little something of that in each story I write, and I did write a young adult story whose protaganist is Wiccan.
My absolutely favorite "pagan" book is Fifth Sacred Thing by Starhawk. I've read it many times and it always makes me feel hopeful about the future.

:)
Jen

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
*Stands, Hi, my name is LaurieD and...*

I lurk about in here out of curiosity. I don't post often in Pagan because I haven't really had anything to add.

I'm am currently without a label religion-wise and that's okay with me. :)

A psychic I saw once and two separate palm readings I've had have told me I have a strong psychic element. Which means diddly to me - I have a tarot deck (new at reading myself since 11/08) yet my readings are still pretty much face value without much depth, at least that's the way it seems to me. I do dream vivid dreams that seem to hold some kind of messages, yet I'm unable to actually figure them out myself.

Pubilished? Not yet and my current wip isn't about anything pagan. Yet. It's still working it self onto paper.

Some of you I've chatted with around AW, some I haven't yet. So, hello. :)

*sits back down in the back of the room*

Disa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
disawylde.wordpress.com
Hi Laurie!

If you like the tarot just give it time. I'm a little over 3 years into it and I've just scratched the first layer beneath the surface. :)

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
I do like the tarot, some of the cards have jumped out at me, others remain so elusive I have to look them up when they're in a reading. :)

Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Just thought I would chime in...

Pagan is essentially any none christian belief. It is an umbrella term that is essentailly used to declassify.

I am pagan born and pagan raised. My grandmother was a medicine woman (though a practicing christian.) The reason why I jsut pronounce myself pagan is because I do not follow one system of spiritual thought yet go with what makes sense. SO that could mean aspects of buddism, Shammanism, etc.

This is the first time I poped into this forum so hello all! ;)

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
I'm here because I recently decided to study Paganism, and Wicca specifically. I was raised Independent Fundamental Baptist Christian, so this area is completely new to me.

And I've been lurking on this forum for a couple months before I actually came and started posting, in the Tarot Card/Rune Thread. I was afraid to come here, for fear people would consider me to be not good in some manner (religiously speaking) and try to convert me back to my old faith.

Now I'm just kind of testing the water, getting my toes wet, and finding that the water's fine. :) I enjoy talking about my new religion with people of like mind, and am happy to be here.