PDA

View Full Version : Why are you here?

Carole
03-01-2009, 07:59 AM
Now, that was a pretty leading question, wasn't it?

I'm curious. How many of you, my pagan pretties, visit the pagan forum simply because of your faith, your curiosity or because of an interest in writing in the pagan genre? Have you been published? If so, was it a pagan publisher?

Inquiring minds, and all :D

Cassiopeia
03-01-2009, 08:05 AM
I'm here because it's the only place I'm not told what defines me or my spirituality. *tiptoes quietly to the back corner of the room and takes a seat*

Carole
03-01-2009, 08:20 AM
Really? How so? I mean, how is this forum one that doesn't tell you? Is it because none of us have it all figured out either? Because, that is very true. :)

Cassiopeia
03-01-2009, 08:30 AM
Really? How so? I mean, how is this forum one that doesn't tell you? Is it because none of us have it all figured out either? Because, that is very true. :):D You know me too well.

I like the umbrella that Paganism provides for so many of us that can't quite pin ourselves down to one theological category. If that makes any sense.

I'm very eclectic in my spiritual practices and the best way I know how to describe myself is Pagan with a bit of Abrahamic influences thrown in. I'm very much a spiritualist. I follow after many shamanic practices.

Carole
03-01-2009, 08:39 AM
That's very cool.

Do you write pagan themed material? (See, now I'm picking your brain)

Cassiopeia
03-01-2009, 08:45 AM
I have one fantasy novel I work on now and again but find the world building bit a challenge as I'm usually a M/S/T writer.

How about you Carole?

Medievalist
03-01-2009, 08:46 AM
I duck in now and then since y'all sometimes talk about ancient pagan and neo Pagan practices related to the Celts, and druids.

Carole
03-01-2009, 09:00 AM
I wish I knew more actual fact about ancient philosophies. There is so much speculation.

Cass, for myself, I am a perpetually conflicted person. I've studied a lot--LOT--of different philosophies, and I've yet to find out where I truly fit. I'm constantly drawn back to my Christian roots. Thing is, I have found truths in everything. I even find some truth in Satanism, even though that is sort of an anti-faith and more of a promotion of self.

I have one little article published, but that was a couple of years ago. It was in a Llewellyn almanac. That's my big claim to fame so far. LOL!

Cassiopeia
03-01-2009, 09:03 AM
The novel I'm working on is slow going as it requires a great deal of research as well. I'm determined to be as consistent as I can. There's enough misinformation out there, I don't need to add to it. :)

Carole
03-01-2009, 09:08 AM
That's the thing. So many people are looking for facts that they often take the imaginings of a talented writer and believe them to be true. Many have grabbed onto Necromantic philosophies because of H.P. Lovecraft's gift for storytelling. His books contained some fact, but I believe his stories were also just that--stories. But some argue otherwise and believe that he presented them as stories to get across a true message.

Cassiopeia
03-01-2009, 09:12 AM
*nod* yes, and while I want to write as close to factual as I can, it will be fantasy so I want a bit of wiggle room. My concern is how to create something that is believable or enough so that one can suspend their disbelief.

Mr Flibble
03-01-2009, 07:27 PM
I come here because the other religious forums don't fit.

That's probably about it....Oh well, I suppose there are pagan themes in my writing. It's bound to leak out after all. But they aren't Pagan Works or anything.

tehuti88
03-01-2009, 08:04 PM
*peers around in curiosity*

I never even knew there were subcategories to the Religion forum until I clicked on this link and saw this! :o Interesting. Maybe I'll step in here a bit from now on just to see what's here.

Well, at the moment I'm here because I saw the link and clicked it. :D I'm not exactly pagan, but I'm panentheist, and this category seems to fit best. Mythological/spiritual figures from other belief systems regularly find their way into my writing and thoughts. In fact, my main fantasy stories are based around them.

No, not published.

Carole
03-01-2009, 10:29 PM
Pagan around these parts is really a broad and non-specific term. Glad you found us! We do seem to hide here among the shrubbery. Sometimes I think we need a Motel 6 light or something! :)

We often seem to get loads of curious lurkers, but only some post here. For example, our old friend the Pagan Chatter thread has had over fifty-five thousand lookers, and yet only a little over two thousand posts.

By the way--if older threads aren't visible any more, try going to the bottom and messing with your settings under the area that asks how you want threads to be displayed. Mine always seems to revert back to only showing threads from the past month. It's under Display Options on the main Pagan Forum page. If you change it to "beginning", you'll see them all. :) There was a time when this was a rockin joint!

Disa
03-10-2009, 12:37 AM

I'm curious. How many of you, my pagan pretties, visit the pagan forum simply because of your faith, your curiosity or because of an interest in writing in the pagan genre? Have you been published? If so, was it a pagan publisher?

I'm here because I'm drawn to earth-based religions more than any other. (Though I'm hardly religious) I enjoy learning about all metaphysical topics and paganism fits in with that-Also, Pagans are pretty interesting and willing to share what they know and learn what they don't.

So I guess I'd say I visit because of all the things you listed above and because you are all so helpful and open about things.

I have been published in small magazines, and online. I know that one of the Publishers is Pagan, not sure about the other, but they are tarot-related publications. (The next publication is also tarot related- hmm... I started out by writing about spirits, not sure how I wound up being published only for tarot related publications but so far, it's working for me :) )

Carole
03-12-2009, 10:43 PM
Sorry I am just now getting back in here. I check daily, but for some reason this thread wasn't flagged for me as having a new post.

I'm kinda like you. I'm basically an earth child who wants to learn.

Glad you like it here. It would be nice if things were more active like they were a while back. If you change your options, you can view threads from ages ago. There's lots of fun and interesting things here. :)

Branwyn
03-15-2009, 08:36 PM

Yes, I thought you meant the big question. Why are we here?*gulp*

This is much easier. I'm a Wiccan and I write in the paranormal genre. My first two books-(picked up by Samhain pub--hehe) are about an everyday witch and her coven who gets involved in solving murders. The third is about witches, fae, shape shifters and vampires.

Although they are called Samhain they pub alot of romance.

Carole
03-18-2009, 06:17 AM
Oh, that's really awesome!

Aydan Knight
04-06-2009, 10:20 PM
I'm here, mostly, out of curiosity. As others have said, I have found truths in many different religious structures, including the various tenets under the broad umbrella of "paganism". I find the different traditions and beliefs fascinating. :D

I'm not published (yet) but my first full work definitely has pagan flavor. It deals with elemental powers and the ability to manipulate energy. More specifically, it deals with the 'spirit realm', or as I call it "beyond the veil" that separates the physical realm from the spirit.

skunkmelon
04-19-2009, 02:18 AM
I consider myself pagan since I make it up as I go and don't like religious rules. I always try to add a little something of that in each story I write, and I did write a young adult story whose protaganist is Wiccan.
My absolutely favorite "pagan" book is Fifth Sacred Thing by Starhawk. I've read it many times and it always makes me feel hopeful about the future.

:)
Jen

LaurieD
04-19-2009, 02:40 AM
*Stands, Hi, my name is LaurieD and...*

I lurk about in here out of curiosity. I don't post often in Pagan because I haven't really had anything to add.

I'm am currently without a label religion-wise and that's okay with me. :)

A psychic I saw once and two separate palm readings I've had have told me I have a strong psychic element. Which means diddly to me - I have a tarot deck (new at reading myself since 11/08) yet my readings are still pretty much face value without much depth, at least that's the way it seems to me. I do dream vivid dreams that seem to hold some kind of messages, yet I'm unable to actually figure them out myself.

Pubilished? Not yet and my current wip isn't about anything pagan. Yet. It's still working it self onto paper.

Some of you I've chatted with around AW, some I haven't yet. So, hello. :)

*sits back down in the back of the room*

Disa
04-19-2009, 05:12 AM
Hi Laurie!

If you like the tarot just give it time. I'm a little over 3 years into it and I've just scratched the first layer beneath the surface. :)

LaurieD
04-22-2009, 08:50 PM
I do like the tarot, some of the cards have jumped out at me, others remain so elusive I have to look them up when they're in a reading. :)

Maiden
04-29-2009, 11:02 PM
Just thought I would chime in...

Pagan is essentially any none christian belief. It is an umbrella term that is essentailly used to declassify.

I am pagan born and pagan raised. My grandmother was a medicine woman (though a practicing christian.) The reason why I jsut pronounce myself pagan is because I do not follow one system of spiritual thought yet go with what makes sense. SO that could mean aspects of buddism, Shammanism, etc.

This is the first time I poped into this forum so hello all! ;)

Sean D. Schaffer
04-30-2009, 10:57 AM
I'm here because I recently decided to study Paganism, and Wicca specifically. I was raised Independent Fundamental Baptist Christian, so this area is completely new to me.

And I've been lurking on this forum for a couple months before I actually came and started posting, in the Tarot Card/Rune Thread. I was afraid to come here, for fear people would consider me to be not good in some manner (religiously speaking) and try to convert me back to my old faith.

Now I'm just kind of testing the water, getting my toes wet, and finding that the water's fine. :) I enjoy talking about my new religion with people of like mind, and am happy to be here.

AngelRoseDarke
04-30-2009, 11:10 AM
I am here because I have practiced Paganism for 15 years. I'm an eclectic witch. Most of my work pulls from Wicca, Druidism, Ritualistic (Golden Dawn), and nocturnal witchcraft. I also study some Shamanism. I love talking to people who don't judge me for my practices.

Carole
04-30-2009, 06:47 PM
A witch after my own heart. :)

Carole
04-30-2009, 06:50 PM
I'm here because I recently decided to study Paganism, and Wicca specifically. I was raised Independent Fundamental Baptist Christian, so this area is completely new to me.

And I've been lurking on this forum for a couple months before I actually came and started posting, in the Tarot Card/Rune Thread. I was afraid to come here, for fear people would consider me to be not good in some manner (religiously speaking) and try to convert me back to my old faith.

Now I'm just kind of testing the water, getting my toes wet, and finding that the water's fine. :) I enjoy talking about my new religion with people of like mind, and am happy to be here.

I have never seen that happen here. Of all topics on AW, the religious forums are generally very respectful and we all get along great (even with our differences) for the most part. Issues are pretty rare around here. In fact, I often feel like the old Maytag repairman. Haha.

Sean D. Schaffer
04-30-2009, 06:59 PM
I have never seen that happen here. Of all topics on AW, the religious forums are generally very respectful and we all get along great (even with our differences) for the most part. Issues are pretty rare around here. In fact, I often feel like the old Maytag repairman. Haha.

Yeah, that's true. I don't think I ever actually had to deal with that on AW; only in real life. And since I became Wiccan, I've not told very many people outside of the 'Net about my new faith, so I will hopefully have a decent amount of downtime before people start to challenge my views face-to-face.

But I've learned something very cool, that it's okay to say "No" when people ask me to discuss my religion with them. I do that a lot more now than I used to in real life. And it actually works.

I hope you have a good day today. Happy Beltaine!

Maiden
04-30-2009, 07:12 PM
I understand that... I often try to avoid talking too much about spirituality with folks unless I either know that the person respects how I feel or shares enough of the same ideas. Unless I am asked a specific question.

But I have not had someone try and "save" me for a long time, in real life or the net. In person I tend to intimidate people (not on purpose I just a very strong dominant energy) and on the net I just ignore intolerant people.

AngelRoseDarke
05-03-2009, 05:37 AM
A witch after my own heart. :)

Thanks! BTW, I love the Fear and Loathing avatar!

Jenan Mac
05-13-2009, 07:24 AM
::raising hand::

Pagan. Pagan themes, though I am trying to keep it out of strictly paranormal. It's a hard line to walk.

And thanks for keeping the light on, Carole.

joyce
05-13-2009, 08:00 AM
I lurk and have only posted in here a time or two because I've never had much to add. I've always found myself drawn to earth based religions and consider myself a multitude of many beliefs. I also find that it seems to fill my writing. I'm more spiritual than I am religious and the pagan beliefs just make more sense to me and fit my own beliefs better.

Dommo
05-13-2009, 10:52 AM
I lurk here, because I'm curious to understand a differing belief system.

More than anything paganism interests me from a cultural perspective, because a lot of our literature and traditions, especially those pertaining to magic can be traced back to historical pagan belief systems. Because paganism is still sort of underground, I think the best way to understand and learn about the people who practice it, is to roam boards like this one.

Paganism isn't my set of beliefs, but it doesn't make it any less interesting to me, and by following some of your discussions, I can learn more about it and better understand those who are practicing pagans.

AngelRoseDarke
05-13-2009, 10:58 AM
I lurk here, because I'm curious to understand a differing belief system.

More than anything paganism interests me from a cultural perspective, because a lot of our literature and traditions, especially those pertaining to magic can be traced back to historical pagan belief systems. Because paganism is still sort of underground, I think the best way to understand and learn about the people who practice it, is to roam boards like this one.

Paganism isn't my set of beliefs, but it doesn't make it any less interesting to me, and by following some of your discussions, I can learn more about it and better understand those who are practicing pagans.

Welcome! It's fine that you do not practice this belief system. I doubt the powers-that-be would mind if you started a thread to ask any questions you may have. That would probably be the easiest way to learn the things you wish to know.

Carole
05-13-2009, 04:59 PM
Hi Dommo :)

Paganism, as the term is used these days, is really just a generalization anyway. I doubt that you could find any book accurately defining "pagan beliefs" because they are so vast and varied from person to person. A lot of people tend to immediately think Wicca when someone mentions the word pagan, but really that's just one of many different beliefs. Lots of them are very personal and unique.

Jenan Mac
05-13-2009, 11:08 PM
Yep-- lots o' differences. How many Gods, and whom? Holidays? Skyclad? With whom do you celebrate? And how? Ritual, not so much ritual; multi-hundred dollar hand-forged athame or paring knife or something in between?

StephanieFox
05-13-2009, 11:14 PM
Just thought I would chime in...

Pagan is essentially any none christian belief. It is an umbrella term that is essentailly used to declassify.

I am pagan born and pagan raised. My grandmother was a medicine woman (though a practicing christian.) The reason why I jsut pronounce myself pagan is because I do not follow one system of spiritual thought yet go with what makes sense. SO that could mean aspects of buddism, Shammanism, etc.

This is the first time I popped into this forum so hello all! ;)

I disagree. Jews are not Pagans. Buddhists are not Pagans. There may be some things they have in common, but they are NOT the same. There are things Pagans and Christians share, since a lot of Christian holidays and beliefs were co-opted from local Pagan religions as Christianity spread.

Today, however, Paganism is a subgroup but not for any non-Christian religion. It's pretty specific and can include non-indiginous shamanism, Wicca, Druids, feminist moon worshippers and a lot more.

I live in the Twin Cities, with the second largest Pagan community in the country (SF is probably first) where Pagans are included in the meetings of the Na. Council of Churches and many people are out of the broom closet and practice their religion openly. I've been a Pagan since 1970, on both coasts and in the middle, and have seen tremendous changes.

Generally, Paganism is Nature-Worship but you can find people who believe in the deities as metaphors and those who think they are real. There's no central authority (they wouldn't dare) and no required belief, which is what confuses a lot of people who think that all religions follow a Christian pattern.

The holidays revolve around the circle of the moon and the seasons, life, death and rebirth, however one may define that.

On the other hand, there's a strong belief that if you consider yourself a Pagan, well then, welcome to the club. Welcome to the Circle and join us at the potluck and drumming later tonight.:)

StephanieFox
05-13-2009, 11:20 PM
To answer the question posed, I came to this section of the message board because I'm a Pagan and I like to share (and even debate) ideas. I would like to write for Pagan publications, but generally they don't pay enough.

I used to write the Llewellyn New Times which was (and is) the marketing arm of Llewellyn Book Publishing. This was back before they became Llewellyn Worldwide and moved from the creepy warehouse to their nice new digs across the Mississippi river in St. Paul.

I would write articles, but mostly I'd write short copy for the books. "This book will change your life!" "Learn the secrets of the Witches!" "Talk to Spirits and Space Aliens!" "Only $7.50!"

Ah, those were the days.

Carole
05-14-2009, 05:52 PM
I disagree. Jews are not Pagans. Buddhists are not Pagans. There may be some things they have in common, but they are NOT the same. There are things Pagans and Christians share, since a lot of Christian holidays and beliefs were co-opted from local Pagan religions as Christianity spread.

Today, however, Paganism is a subgroup but not for any non-Christian religion. It's pretty specific and can include non-indiginous shamanism, Wicca, Druids, feminist moon worshippers and a lot more.

I live in the Twin Cities, with the second largest Pagan community in the country (SF is probably first) where Pagans are included in the meetings of the Na. Council of Churches and many people are out of the broom closet and practice their religion openly. I've been a Pagan since 1970, on both coasts and in the middle, and have seen tremendous changes.

Generally, Paganism is Nature-Worship but you can find people who believe in the deities as metaphors and those who think they are real. There's no central authority (they wouldn't dare) and no required belief, which is what confuses a lot of people who think that all religions follow a Christian pattern.

The holidays revolve around the circle of the moon and the seasons, life, death and rebirth, however one may define that.

On the other hand, there's a strong belief that if you consider yourself a Pagan, well then, welcome to the club. Welcome to the Circle and join us at the potluck and drumming later tonight.:)

I couldn't have said that nearly as well as you. :)

To answer the question posed, I came to this section of the message board because I'm a Pagan and I like to share (and even debate) ideas. I would like to write for Pagan publications, but generally they don't pay enough.

I used to write the Llewellyn New Times which was (and is) the marketing arm of Llewellyn Book Publishing. This was back before they became Llewellyn Worldwide and moved from the creepy warehouse to their nice new digs across the Mississippi river in St. Paul.

I would write articles, but mostly I'd write short copy for the books. "This book will change your life!" "Learn the secrets of the Witches!" "Talk to Spirits and Space Aliens!" "Only $7.50!"

Ah, those were the days.

Haha! I would love to have that job! :D

plaidearthworm
05-23-2009, 11:07 AM
Occasionally I will find a supply shop filled with candles, herbs, books and stones, and I will feel completely at home when I walk in the door, secure in the knowledge that I will learn something new, discover unexplored territory within myself, and find fresh ways to connect to the Divine. This forum serves the same purpose. I don't write fiction and the (paying) pagan article market is tiny at best, but I do write the odd essay now and again. Reading all the different points of view here is like going to a great family dinner; relaxing, thought-provoking, and tasty. ;)

Carole
05-25-2009, 05:33 AM
That used to be such a good feeling for me, too. Unfortunately, Knoxville isn't exactly brimming with them. Sometimes, the best or closest I can find is a head shop. How sad is that?

plaidearthworm
05-25-2009, 08:12 PM
Wow, Arkansas has more new age shops than Tennessee; I'm amazed! But I am in the northwest 'hippie' corner of the state, LOL.

Memnon624
05-26-2009, 08:01 AM
/de-lurking . . .

I pop in from time to time mainly because I feel more of an affinity for the religions of Antiquity than I do for any of their modern equivalents. Egyptian, Greek, Roman . . . I'm fascinated by them (and occasionally I'll dip into my own heritage and study Norse religion). At one, very dark, point in my life I declared myself a pagan and that actually gave me quite a measure of peace (something I've never experienced with Christianity). Now, I simply acknowledge a God or Gods, offer the occasional libation, and try to avoid the prosletyzers . . .

And now, back to my hiding place.

Scott

AngelRoseDarke
05-27-2009, 04:11 PM
That used to be such a good feeling for me, too. Unfortunately, Knoxville isn't exactly brimming with them. Sometimes, the best or closest I can find is a head shop. How sad is that?

Knoxville has some great shops, but I can never remember the street names to get there. It's one of those things where I just know where they are when I go down there. There are good ones in Cookeville too. My favorite is here in Crossville. All the ones I know are kind of off the beaten path, or set up in such a way that most people don't know what they are.

Ken
05-27-2009, 04:34 PM
... not pagan myself, but my best friend is. When he and his wife got married they had a harpist play at the ceremony, which I thought was kinda neat :-)

AngelRoseDarke
05-27-2009, 04:43 PM
... not pagan myself, but my best friend is. When he and his wife got married they had a harpist play at the ceremony, which I thought was kinda neat :-)

I never thought about harp music. That sounds like a cool idea. Hubby and I are Goths who practice a lot of nocturnal magick, so we played Type O Negative at our wedding.

Manix
05-27-2009, 05:07 PM
I must confess, I know very little about Pagan philosophy and I was curious. That's why I'm here. I've written a novel that incorporates demons, magic, pentagrams and incantations, but I'm not sure it would accurately portray anything Pagan. I guess I'm interested in finding out more facts so that I don't misrepresent anything.

AngelRoseDarke
05-27-2009, 05:10 PM
I must confess, I know very little about Pagan philosophy and I was curious. That's why I'm here. I've written a novel that incorporates demons, magic, pentagrams and incantations, but I'm not sure it would accurately portray anything Pagan. I guess I'm interested in finding out more facts so that I don't misrepresent anything.

If you can imagine it, there's probably a group that practices it. I would suggest that you ask any questions you would like answers to. Most people don't mind helping someone out.

Ken
05-27-2009, 05:10 PM
... you've got me curious now, AngelRose. Will have to listen to some Type O ;-) (For weddings in general, I just think it's cool when couples do their own thing and structure them as they see fit. Got an idea for mine, if I ever take the plunge, which will probably leave people scratching their heads :-)

AngelRoseDarke
05-27-2009, 05:12 PM
... you've got me curious now, AngelRose. Will have to listen to some Type O ;-) (For weddings in general, I just think it's cool when couples do their own thing and structure them as they see fit. Got an idea for mine, if I ever take the plunge, which will probably leave people scratching their heads :-)

My favorite CD from them is October Rust. We played Love You to Death and Be My Druidess at the ceremony.

Ken
05-27-2009, 05:15 PM
... have made a note of that. Will check back in when I give October Rust a listen. Later :-)

Manix
05-27-2009, 05:20 PM
If you can imagine it, there's probably a group that practices it. I would suggest that you ask any questions you would like answers to. Most people don't mind helping someone out.

Thanks so much Angel. I guess I'm pretty ignorant and 1) don't want to embarrass myself and 2) don't want to offend anyone with my lameass questions. But if you don't mind, I might lurk around here to see if I can pick up some information.

AngelRoseDarke
05-27-2009, 05:20 PM
... have made a note of that. Will check back in when I give October Rust a listen. Later :-)

Cool. I will warn you that they are goth rock, not metal, just dark. Think Halloween.

AngelRoseDarke
05-27-2009, 05:23 PM
Thanks so much Angel. I guess I'm pretty ignorant and 1) don't want to embarrass myself and 2) don't want to offend anyone with my lameass questions. But if you don't mind, I might lurk around here to see if I can pick up some information.

That's cool. You can feel free to PM or email me if you'd like. I do some tutoring (so to speak) on Paganism (all branches, even Satanism). I promise not to laugh, and you couldn't possibly offend me.

Carole
05-28-2009, 11:06 PM
Knoxville has some great shops, but I can never remember the street names to get there. It's one of those things where I just know where they are when I go down there. There are good ones in Cookeville too. My favorite is here in Crossville. All the ones I know are kind of off the beaten path, or set up in such a way that most people don't know what they are.

The first one I went into, Little Sisters, was really neat at first. But that was until I was looking for a small, simple pentacle pendant. Someone handed me a Star of David, along with a wink and a speech about how they like to keep those things hidden from pubic view. Needless to say, I wasn't impressed with a shop that confuses a Star of David with a pentacle.

I never thought about harp music. That sounds like a cool idea. Hubby and I are Goths who practice a lot of nocturnal magick, so we played Type O Negative at our wedding.

Type-O is a long-time favorite around here. Hubby has met them a few times, back in Orlando. Unfortunately, that was before I moved to Orlando, so I wasn't in on the fun. He says that Pete's hands dwarfed his own when they shook hands. Not surprising.

Are you a fan of Danzig? He's met him a few times too, and they went out for pizza once in Ybor City. He has all the luck.

AngelRoseDarke
05-29-2009, 12:56 AM
The first one I went into, Little Sisters, was really neat at first. But that was until I was looking for a small, simple pentacle pendant. Someone handed me a Star of David, along with a wink and a speech about how they like to keep those things hidden from pubic view. Needless to say, I wasn't impressed with a shop that confuses a Star of David with a pentacle.

Type-O is a long-time favorite around here. Hubby has met them a few times, back in Orlando. Unfortunately, that was before I moved to Orlando, so I wasn't in on the fun. He says that Pete's hands dwarfed his own when they shook hands. Not surprising.

Are you a fan of Danzig? He's met him a few times too, and they went out for pizza once in Ybor City. He has all the luck.

My husband and I love Danzig! Gosh, I haven't heard anybody mention Ybor City in a long time. I'm originally from Tampa. Moving here was a real shock to my system.

Anyway, there are a lot of crap shops everywhere. I've never been to Little Sisters. There are a couple (unless they've closed) in what used to be East Town Mall (I think it's called Knoxville Center Mall now). One was Crystal Visions, and the other was a place that specialized in Azure Green products (I can't remember the name of the store). There are also a couple in Old City Knoxville, unless they have closed. I haven't been up to K-Town in a couple of years.

Carole
05-29-2009, 07:31 AM
I live between you and Knoxville. I know Crystal Visions. I don't know if its still there or not because I haven't been to that mall in ages. In fact, a friend recently told me that it's so overrun with gangs (can you believe that!?) that there are danger signs posted on the doors and the anchor stores are moving out. I used to live in the 4th and Gill area close to the Old City, so East Town was where we always went. It was closer and less snobby than West Town.

Moving here from Orlando was a shock to my system, and I am originally from West Virginia! I acclimated to Florida with great ease. But my husband, who is originally from South Florida feels like he has finally found home in Tennessee. I would go back in a heartbeat, but he doesn't want to ever move back to FL. I miss the way you can go out at all hours looking however you please and no one bats an eye. You'd never know it to look at me, but I have a goth bit about me. Haha! I know--very strange, right? But once, at the Firestone club in downtown Orlando, hubby and I were wearing our fangs (really fantastic ones, too. Made for us by a dentist) and we were standing in this huge line to get in. I smiled at the door guy and he was so awed by them that he pulled hubby and me out of the line and sent us in ahead of everyone else.

I really miss the metaphysical shops in Orlando. Especially the one I worked in. It was amazing. Nothing like what you find around here. Crystal Visions would have been considered just a gift shop by comparison. We were a full-service (and I do mean FULL service, down to the sacrifices) Haitian Botanica, and my boss, the owner, was a Santerian High Priest. It was fabulous. Unfortunately, I think that shop is gone now, too. Gary, the owner, died last year. I just recently found out. We own several handwritten Mandragore magazines with articles written by Aleister Crowley that were given to us by Gary.

AngelRoseDarke
05-30-2009, 04:24 AM
I live between you and Knoxville. I know Crystal Visions. I don't know if its still there or not because I haven't been to that mall in ages. In fact, a friend recently told me that it's so overrun with gangs (can you believe that!?) that there are danger signs posted on the doors and the anchor stores are moving out. I used to live in the 4th and Gill area close to the Old City, so East Town was where we always went. It was closer and less snobby than West Town.

Moving here from Orlando was a shock to my system, and I am originally from West Virginia! I acclimated to Florida with great ease. But my husband, who is originally from South Florida feels like he has finally found home in Tennessee. I would go back in a heartbeat, but he doesn't want to ever move back to FL. I miss the way you can go out at all hours looking however you please and no one bats an eye. You'd never know it to look at me, but I have a goth bit about me. Haha! I know--very strange, right? But once, at the Firestone club in downtown Orlando, hubby and I were wearing our fangs (really fantastic ones, too. Made for us by a dentist) and we were standing in this huge line to get in. I smiled at the door guy and he was so awed by them that he pulled hubby and me out of the line and sent us in ahead of everyone else.

I really miss the metaphysical shops in Orlando. Especially the one I worked in. It was amazing. Nothing like what you find around here. Crystal Visions would have been considered just a gift shop by comparison. We were a full-service (and I do mean FULL service, down to the sacrifices) Haitian Botanica, and my boss, the owner, was a Santerian High Priest. It was fabulous. Unfortunately, I think that shop is gone now, too. Gary, the owner, died last year. I just recently found out. We own several handwritten Mandragore magazines with articles written by Aleister Crowley that were given to us by Gary.

I don't think there is such a thing as a strictly metaphysical shop in the whole blessed state. I consider them decent if they have a fair selection and actually know what they're selling. That's about as close as a person can get up here.

We have a lot of Crowley's books. I bet the magazines are cool. I've heard of them, but I've never seen one before.

I feel really out of place in TN. I'm a Gothic, half-Cuban witch. I get some really odd looks. :)

Carole
06-01-2009, 11:02 PM
I have it easier. I'm blonde and have to work in corporate America. Most of the time, I blend with the typical scenery around here.

Hubby and I have had this dream for years and years to open a real shop here. Somehow, the older we get the less likely it seems that it will happen. I honestly don't know what anyone would think about walking into a real metaphysical shop in East Tennessee. But I can still see it in my mind. And it's really cool.

jamieck
06-17-2009, 09:38 PM
Hi all I am Pagan, I follow the harm none rule and have grown much over the past four years. I just wrote my first book about a woman named Beverly whose town turns against her after she has a dream that tells her where to find a missing child. She uses tarot as confirmation before telling her dad where to look then tarot again to come to the decision of finding a teacher. At the Journey Academy ,which has two campus's one in the city and one in the country, she learns of soul retrieval, pendulems, scrying mirrors, energy transfers and making energy shields. There is a tournamet kind of like capture the flag where the city and country schools compete. And a huge battle with an surprise villian. Beverly finds friendship, acceptance, self worth and maybe even love.
if anyone wants to read Beverly's Journey I would love some feedback from people other than that of friends and family that love me.

Jamie

Sean D. Schaffer
06-17-2009, 11:12 PM
Nice to meet you, Jamie. :) Welcome to the AW Pagan forums. I hope you find what you're looking for here.

Blessed Be! :)