• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Need betas for a contemporary romantic thriller

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimb68

Registered
Reaction score
I can't tell you how nervous I am to put this out for beta reading. (Deep breath.)

Here's my current draft synopsis for querying:

Emily Dura will do anything to avenge her brother's murder, including impersonate the dead. Her target is a shadowy New Mexican drug lord known as the Yatakya. Pretending to be possessed by the spirit of the Yatakya's late wife, she gains access to his inner circle. All she has to do is to win his trust so she can get him alone and slit his throat.

Emily has never killed before, despite surviving a dangerous childhood on the streets of El Paso. She knows she needs to be tough, unfeeling, but her resolve is tested by the Yatakya's new computer expert, Nicky Strange. She's always been attracted to danger and Nicky's certainly a threat—he doesn't for a minute believe her ghostly possession
or her cover story. What her battered heart can't handle is the achingly sweet, sincere things he says in his unguarded moments or the way he seems determined to save her from herself.

She'd like nothing better than to lay her burdens on his strong shoulders, but loyalty to her brother must come first. She makes an unsuccessful attempt on the Yatakya's life that forces everyone to show their hand. Emily faces a terrible dilemma: betray Nicky and do her duty, or let her brother's death go unavenged and take a chance on a love she doesn't deserve.

The MS is 96,000 words with (fingers crossed) no typos or grammatical errors. There are a few explicit sex scenes, some violence, cursing, drug use. No serial killers. No actual ghosts or paranormal elements.

PM me if you're interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.