PDA

View Full Version : So I Didn't Go in to "Work" Today...

Jcomp
03-01-2009, 12:39 AM
I'm usually off on Saturdays. But yesterday my boss, at about 4:30, hit me with the "You got plans this weekend?" question. Which I should've realized as the sneak attack question friends pop on you when they're trying to get you to help them move: "Oh, no plans? So you can help me haul a bunch of solid oak furniture up to my 3rd story apartment, right?"

Sure enough, it was not simply one of those obligatory, friendly, Boss-asking-employees-about-their-weekend things, but a trap. See the office was undergoing a renovation and the boss man was hoping we could get some people to come in around noon and help with putting together workstations.

I gave him one of those half-committal "Oh, yeah, I should be able to make it for that" things. Then I went to my friend's birthday party last night, woke up today at like 11:15 or so, and yeah, it just wasn't about to happen. Had it been to test one of the sites we've built or to meet with a client or something actually related to the business, I would've toughed it out and gone in. But to help do something we've already hired other people to do? I just couldn't do it.

How horrible am I?

robeiae
03-01-2009, 12:41 AM
Dunno. Depends on whether or not the boss actually showed up, or just put someone else in charge of the schmucks that came in...

Jcomp
03-01-2009, 12:48 AM
I just voted to kick myself in the "grown" for misspelling "groin."

Incidentally getting kicked in the "grown" seems like it would hurt a hell of a lot worse...

robeiae
03-01-2009, 12:50 AM
Is it a bridal grown, or just a regular one?

Jersey Chick
03-01-2009, 12:52 AM
:ROFL:

I was wondering if being kicked in the grown hurt worse. Would you need ice for that, or could you just tough it out?

Wayne K
03-01-2009, 02:34 AM
:ROFL:

I was wondering if being kicked in the grown hurt worse. Would you need ice for that, or could you just tough it out?
You try with all your might to restart the breathing thing, and then you take it from there.

I voted burn your house down because I love a good wienie roast.

Jersey Chick
03-01-2009, 02:38 AM
Man... I'm so glad I don't have one of those man growns...

**snerk**

WittyWordsmith
03-01-2009, 02:41 AM
If they've actually hired someone to help there, I wouldn't go either. If he asks, just say you got hung up with stuff for your kid's party.

Jcomp
03-01-2009, 02:41 AM
Man... I'm so glad I don't have one of those man growns...

**snerk**

It's definitely a liability on the field of battle...

Jcomp
03-01-2009, 02:43 AM
If they've actually hired someone to help there, I wouldn't go either. If he asks, just say you got hung up with stuff for your kid's party.

The funny thing about that, after he asked me yesterday he asked one of my nearby co-workers who does have a kid and that guy immediately rattled off a way-too-detailed reason for why he couldn't show up revolving around his son's birthday party.

I ended up getting a call asking me to test some data on one of the sites we just implemented for a client, which I have no prob at all with.

2old2pb
03-01-2009, 03:28 AM
I don't know about any of that stuff because even when I'm not at work, I'm at work. If I didn't show up at the office they'd just assume I overslept and they'd walk over and get me. I am surprised no one has mentioned Office Space yet.

"So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life." Peter Gibbons

Susie
03-01-2009, 04:39 AM
One thing I know, you're a swell father!

Jcomp
03-01-2009, 04:43 AM
Ok... I just realized that an accidental use of slang has given people the impression that I'm a dad. I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes (and insanely slow at all other times) so it's taken me several hours to see this error.

When I said "my boy" I didn't mean my son, I meant one of my friends (aka, one of my boys). I've since corrected it.

Just had to clarify so I don't get extra credit that isn't due. Or child support fees that should definitely not be due either...

Soccer Mom
03-01-2009, 04:44 AM
Misspelling? I don't see the word "grown" anywhere but in posts. It isn't in the poll. Methinks you're not entirely sober yet.

:wanders off whistling innocently:

KTC
03-01-2009, 04:47 AM
you are despicable. I don't know how you sleep at night. Or during the day, for that matter.

Jcomp
03-01-2009, 04:51 AM
Misspelling? I don't see the word "grown" anywhere but in posts. It isn't in the poll. Methinks you're not entirely sober yet.

:wanders off whistling innocently:

Dammit. Could one thread possibly make me look less sane...?

maestrowork
03-01-2009, 05:40 AM
I don't work.

KTC
03-01-2009, 05:47 AM
I don't work out.

I never would have guessed it. I think you look flabulous.

C.bronco
03-01-2009, 06:06 AM
I think we've all learned a lesson here. Thank you Jcomp for showing us what not to say!
:D

Yeshanu
03-02-2009, 07:45 AM
Dammit. Could one thread possibly make me look less sane...?

You know better than to ask a question like that around here. We'll find one if this one doesn't do it. :tongue

Serenity
03-02-2009, 01:04 PM
Um... yeah. We're going to need you to come in, um on Saturday, okay? Great. Oh, oh, and I almost forgot. Ahh, I'm also gonna need you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too...

Beach Bunny
03-02-2009, 03:46 PM
I voted Borlando Loom, because that promotion and pay raise you've been asking for for the past year? ... Ain't. gonna. happen. :tongue