PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Scriptwriter for Conspiracy-based Animated Series

producerism
02-28-2009, 05:01 AM
Overview:
Scriptwriters needed for a mature-themed conspiracy-theory based animated series, formatted for 11 minute episodes. Someone with an interest in conspiracy theories, occult, science fiction and taboo subjects (drugs, violence, sex, etc.) would be a perfect fit. Looking for dialogue, and story development in general. I'm unfamiliar with the scriptwriting process, so I have resources I can share, but not sure if that's standard practice. For example, I can provide a sample script that I wrote myself to illustrate the length / etc. but I'm not happy with it at all, so I hesitate to share that in case someone assumes that the story needs to be the same.

I already have some character sketches done, complete descriptions for the main characters, various settings with descriptions, overview of the theme/concept of the series along with a few springboards for intended episodes. These springboards consist of a few paragraphs explaining the various events/developments that would span a single episode.

What's Needed:
I estimate that each episode will be around 2000 words or so.

About Us:
We are a very small group (<10 people) of designers, developers and musicians. We're experienced with post-production, animation, 3d modeling, etc. and through our other jobs have access to all the voice-over recording and other assets needed. Right now we are at a point where the story and script needs to be developed in order to go further in producing a pilot episode(s). Based out of Orlando, FL but willing to work with anyone from anywhere via online. I started this project about 6 years ago and has been a personal goal to bring it to fruition ever since. I've been lucky enough to collaborate with others that have taken the same amount of interest, and looking for a few more to fill in the gaps.

Compensation:
Right away, I would like to get a few different submissions to review, which I'll pay .01 per word (I assume that's standard based on the posts here - if I'm mistaken, please let me know) at first, and then after the writer(s) have been chosen, we will negotiate a higher rate for a polished version of the submitted script, along with another 5-10 more episodes. Of course, your name/etc will be featured in credits of episodes and etc. etc. Any other recognition you may want is very possible. This would include credits in the videos, website, and anything else applicable.

I will provide some more details to anyone interested, please contact me via email

Looking forward to it!

icerose
02-28-2009, 08:16 PM
Just a quick FYI, the .01 cent per word is the floor of short stories and articles. Scripts are a whole different realm of writing. For the WGA standard of minimums here's the link.

http://wga.org/uploadedFiles/writers_resources/contracts/min2008.pdf

Of course as you are not among the companies who agreed to stick to it, so you can offer whatever you want.

I wish you all the best in seeking a writer.

Charke
02-28-2009, 08:18 PM
Standard pay is 1 cent to 5 cents a word. 1 cent a work is token pay, the lowest generally acceptable amount, while 5 cents a word is generally enough to eat and pay the bills. Then we proceed into the legendary amounts such as 80 cents a word commanded by writers who everyone you talk to knows.

Mark Charke

icerose
02-28-2009, 10:25 PM
Standard pay is 1 cent to 5 cents a word. 1 cent a work is token pay, the lowest generally acceptable amount, while 5 cents a word is generally enough to eat and pay the bills. Then we proceed into the legendary amounts such as 80 cents a word commanded by writers who everyone you talk to knows.

Mark Charke

And again not applicable to scriptwriters. Scriptwriters are paid generally either on salary or a lump sum on a script.

For example I rewrite episodic work for 500 dollars per 30 pages, I am not even writing an original script and this isn't even hollywood standards, it's considered rather low pay for the field.

ETA: I guess I could see how the cents per word could work, if you average 250 words per page, I'm making about .06 cents per word on rewrites, though I have no idea how you'd really count them on the script as the software doesn't work that way.

gambit924
03-01-2009, 08:32 AM
You write it on a word processor...It's harder to format that way, but it works if you want to get word count...

Grandmaster
03-01-2009, 10:12 AM
Wow, the pay's pretty low. I'm from England and our Guild doesn't have the best rates for writers of animation but it's still enough to pay the rent.

My apologies for the above (now crossed out) as I'm new here and only saw the Sticky after having posted.

For the O.P. I'd recommend this link: http://www.writersguild.org.uk/userimages/File/Agreements%20and%20rates/Animation_Guidelines1.pdf Please read it carefully as it's merely a few pages yet covers all of the essentials including rates. I hope that were we to work together - or you and your company with a fellow British writer - that this outline would prove to be the basis of agreements.

I'm interested in the O.P.'s concept as it seems to encompass a few things I find to be of interest; I can send out writing samples (I've written seven screen-plays and am almost finished on a novel) but when it comes down to actually composing work for the project, I'm going to have to ask for a fee... sorry, but I can write on spec or work on my book for free (until making a sale)!

Please refer to your Inbox (I imagine you have a link somewhere when you log in) as I've sent you a PM.

Best of luck with your project.

producerism
03-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks for all of the replies and insight regarding scripts vs articles and etc.
Most helpful.

I did already see the WGA rates, but those were far beyond my range at this point.
Thanks again, I will take this new info into account.

gambit924
03-03-2009, 03:10 AM
Cheers and luck!

producerism
06-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Thanks again to everyone for the overwhelming response. We've found a couple of writers to start with, and if we need some more help, I'll post back in this thread. Thanks again!

jumpstart
08-23-2009, 02:55 AM
I know this is an old post, but are you still looking for writers? I am very good with dialogue.

dpaterso
08-23-2009, 03:07 AM
Unfortunately the poster hasn't visited since 06-09-2009 (I clicked on the username, then View Public Profile to see this info).

-Derek

CammyMayHunny
08-24-2009, 09:14 AM
Aw, too bad. How often to you get a shot at "mature-themed conspiracy-theory based animated series"?