Night at the Theatre

Which kind of play would most appeal to you?

• Tragedy

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Comedy

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Drama

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Musical

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
What would you rather watch?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're regular theatre-goers and have season tickets, which means we see all kinds of plays we might not ordinarily attend. Many are just what we expected, but like a crummy movie or music in a disliked genre, if you let yourself you can enjoy it while knowing it's not for you. That said, though, we have left during intermission five or six times over a twenty-year span.

Given my choice, I'll take a solid drama every time. Some of the best plays we've ever seen later became great movies, for example "Doubt" and "Frost/Nixon," which we saw last season and this.

Maryn, fond of real live actors

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm putting on playwright pants mid-March. I'm just curious. It's a theatre in the raw gig. I write it on the Thursday night and it is performed on the Friday night. Just wanted to poll people to see what kind of genre that would be most interested in watching. Put it in OP because I figured most people would see it here and answer the poll. Thanks in advance...

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
We're regular theatre-goers and have season tickets, which means we see all kinds of plays we might not ordinarily attend. Many are just what we expected, but like a crummy movie or music in a disliked genre, if you let yourself you can enjoy it while knowing it's not for you. That said, though, we have left during intermission five or six times over a twenty-year span.

Given my choice, I'll take a solid drama every time. Some of the best plays we've ever seen later became great movies, for example "Doubt" and "Frost/Nixon," which we saw last season and this.

Maryn, fond of real live actors

ooh. Drama. Interesting. Thank you.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Other. I would love to see a live sex show. They're banned damned near everywhere now.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
For live theatre, I love a great comedy. Actually, a comedy mystery, to be even more specific.

But I don't, in fact, get out much.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
For live theatre, I love a great comedy. Actually, a comedy mystery, to be even more specific.

But I don't, in fact, get out much.

this is actually the mix I am tending toward right now, but you never know. I find out a sort-of theme that I have to incorporate into it just before I write it. Given that jumping off point, I may decide on the spot what the genre will be.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, for something to be written quickly? Cancel drama. Comedy is what works. And remember, you can use amazingly broad, predictable humor and it gets a laugh. You gotta love theatre.

My lone play's best received exchange, which got both laughs and applause:

Greg:​
<snip>...I do this thing all the time with girls. I invent stupid band names, ‘Loathsome’ and ‘Bad Clams,’ and they pretend they’ve heard of them. This girl, she says she’s been wanting the Clams CD. Both pretending, huh?

Dennis:​
I’d settle for that new Celine Dion CD. Janet and I are seeing her in Las Vegas--

Greg:​
That’s sad, man.

I was amazed at the reaction. If only the whole play had been that well received.

Maryn, who, you'll note, returned to fiction

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Yes, Maryn...I love the over-the-topness of theatre comedy. I never considered myself a funny person...but I'm hoping that under pressure I will be inspired.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, Maryn...I love the over-the-topness of theatre comedy. I never considered myself a funny person...but I'm hoping that under pressure I will be inspired.
Okay go!

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
I like just about any kind of stage play, but comedy is my favorite.

Best wishes on your playwright gig. Sounds like a lot of fun. :D

(Notice I did NOT say "Good Luck"?? I learned all I need to know about theater from "The Producers". :ROFL: )

TheRightEyedDeer

the land of black flies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
therighteyeddeer.weebly.com
I voted drama BUT (there's always a but, isn't there?) every drama has to have a bit of comedy in it or the bodies in the cheap seats will slowly gain weight and begin sinking towards the stage. Actors hate that and it makes the playwright go outside and try to dig him/herself a hole in the pavement before intermission.

(Notice I did NOT say "Good Luck"?? I learned all I need to know about theater from "The Producers". :ROFL: )

Now you've done it, Angie. It's break a leg. KTC's doomed now in that haunted castle he'll be writing in ...

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Nice. You just had to bring the word doomed into the thread, didn't you! (-;

I will definitely be crawling out of my skin in the audience...maybe even pounding my head on the pavement before it's over.