Do you question the free?

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
I got 2 free movie rental offers this week, from 2 different rental companies I USED to frequent. Before the days of Netflix.

One of them came right out and said it was because I'd been MIA for some time.

Another didn't give a reason -- nor did I ask for one.

I wonder, is it bad mojo questioning WHY something is free? Should I question it?

The only thing I DO question is why is it that I get free movie rentals and not....free coffee, free books, free gas, a free cruise...

Maybe I should stay away from Starbucks and Borders for a while and see what happens.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
The free rentals thing has been going on around here for a while. Something about Netflix and Blockbuster's Netflix-like program (sorry, forgot the name) being the iceberg while all the other rental places are the Titanic?

Me, I wouldn't question it. They're just trying to continue to receive income.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
free rental sure, but I wonder if you'd still pay a fee for late returns.

p.h., suddenly cynical

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A single flow'r he sent me, since we met.
All tenderly his messenger he chose;
Deep-hearted, pure, with scented dew still wet--
One perfect rose.

I knew the language of the floweret;
"My fragile leaves," it said, "his heart enclose."
Love long has taken for his amulet
One perfect rose.

Why is it no one ever sent me yet
One perfect limousine, do you suppose?
Ah no, it's always just my luck to get
One perfect rose.

-- Dorothy Parker

Last edited:

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
I love that poem. Maybe because I love roses. :) Thank you for sharing that.

P.H., I would think that late fees would definitely have to be paid.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I question 'free'. There is no such thing as free; somebody pays.
It may not be you, (this time) but somebody always pays.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. I always question free. I never expect anything for free and when I get it, I'm suspicious.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Free=scam of some sort. Usually.
I'm old and I've consumed, so take that to the bank.

brad_b

Knight Errant
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in my mind... it echoes in here ...
I recently got a call from my local video store... seems they are in dire straits monetarily wise since I stopped coming in because of the winter slump and I got on here at AW (I used to watch a lot of movies from that place). She said they missed me terribly (not exactly 'terribly' but it was implied.. :D) and that I had a free movie coming and half-off rentals for a week. So, I imagine your video store just wants you to come back in the hopes you'll realize how important it is to you to start watching their movies again.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Free=scam of some sort. Usually.

Yeah, that's my take on 'free stuff'.

In a bit of an aside, I keep getting these calls from 'Travel Agencies', which I strongly suspect are time-share sellers, offering me a free trip to Vegas.

Don't they even bother to look at the area code?

What, are they gonna send me $2 for busfare?

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
In a bit of an aside, I keep getting these calls from 'Travel Agencies', which I strongly suspect are time-share sellers, offering me a free trip to Vegas.

Don't they even bother to look at the area code?

What, are they gonna send me $2 for busfare?

Probably not. A place I used to work had a "call center" called that did nothing but those kind of timeshare thingies. They always used to email me URGENT PLEASE TO FAX TO CUSTOMER emails that inevitably ended with me trying to fax something to some poor sucker's phone at 4 AM. I learned a few new swear words when people answered the phone and heard the fax.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, especially since a woman at work responded to an offer for a "free" gift card to Applebee's and wound up installing malware that racked up a couple hundred dollars in charges before it was discovered.

Did I mention this malware was installed on her computer at work?

WittyWordsmith

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.KinseyMoberg.com
It's interesting seeing people's responses to the so-called "free" things. I've heard in several jobs that people don't respect "free" and it's always better to put a price on something than to give it away. People relate "free" to "worthless" or "junk" and misuse almost anything that is given to them at no cost. I must say I'm guilty of that myself, on many occasions.

I'm of the school of thought that nothing is truly free, and even if the payment is not monetary, it's there somehow.

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
Thanks, Susie. :) One of the movies totally sucked, though.

Interestingly enough, I got a coupon today from the VERY SAME video store that offered to "erase" any late fees on my account. Not that I have any. But it's interesting I got it AFTER I responded to P.H.'s post. :Shrug:

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
Free can be a scam, but it isn't always. I mean, they're always hoping to get money from you but they're not always cheating you in order to do it. Sometimes businesses offer things for free in order to try to get you started doing business with them in the hopes that you will continue to do so. When I signed up for a card at my local video store I received a free rental and a month of half off movies (get it? The free rental really was free. Then the half off, if you take advantage of it, and they're only hoping you will, ensures they get something from you. Then they figure you'll be used to going there and continue to do so). The idea of free samples (whether of goods or services) is often a very legitimate business model. That said, when it's more than a sample or it's something that seems like it would cost the business a lot of money, then I question it (which is why I fully expect things like free cruises and such to be scams).

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
Agreed. I read somewhere (here? a friend's blog??) that you shouldn't accept free samples of meds from your doc, because you get hooked on them and once the sample runs out, you end up going back to the doc to ask for more. The kind you'll have to PAY for this time.

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
I disagree on the free meds, but then I have glaucoma.

I hear ya. I've used free med samples from docs and never got addicted to any of them. I just thought I'd put that out there because 1) It relates to the "free" topic and 2) Curious about if anyone has anything to say to back up or refute that claim.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I just got an email for 10 free wings from Hooter's for my birthday. Mr. Susie was disappointed it said the girls weren't included. :D The wings should be free, huh.

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
LOL

I have never eaten at Hooters but I can for a fact say that I have seen them. :roll:

And, go for it, Susie! Enjoy. :snoopy:

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
I've never been impressed by the food at Hooters...but then, maybe I'm not supposed to be going for the food, huh?

So many posts in this thread explain the lack of a response when I put out contests for free books every so often. :)