March goals and JHS

Autodidact

...in my Maidenform Bra.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to start the March JHS because I'm excited about March.
My goals for March:

1. Get my own website up. [This is a huge goal for me.If I do not accomplish this by the end of the month, please chastise me severely.]
2. Ten queries. Single query to two markets counts as two.
3. One completed freelance article. (assuming I get an assignment by then; I have none outstanding now.)
4. One new acceptance.
5. If I have been accepted as an Examiner, I will have a whole set of goals for that.
6. One "rant" for my hoped for future website, The Rant.

I think that's all. Also I have to plant my peas and start my seedlings.

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
Hey, hey, there's still two days left in February! Well, one and a half, anyway. And darn it, I'm not done with all my goals for February yet! Ack, I need to get back to work and away from here until I'm done!

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
I'll join in early, since it looks like Feb. will be just more Demand Studios clean-up and Examiner stuff, plus cleaning up one last article. Then I will do the following for March:

-Aim to claim an average of 10 Demand Studios articles per week.
-Update Examiner frequently enough to stay in top five
-Complete Twins article by deadline
-Send out five queries per week (I am waaaaaay behind in queries)
-Flesh out new book pitch idea

That should keep me plenty busy. We'll be away from Sun. to Thurs. morning but I plan to pre-write a bunch of Examiner articles and work on queries during that time.

inkkognito

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Already suckin' one down! Oh, Curve finally responded on my article. They said they really like it and invite me to do more pitches. Now I'm racking my brain for some good topics related to my counseling experience.

Autodidact

...in my Maidenform Bra.
Registered
Reaction score
Go Barb! Coolamente! So, ideas re: counseling for lesbians, is that what you need? How about couples stuff--lesbians love that. Or, for the single lesbians, using the time of being single to get your act together so when Ms. Lovely comes along, you can have a half-decent chance of keeping it good. Or, how to tell when you should bail. Or...I have a bunch of ideas, is this what you meant by counseling? How about, choosing a therapist?

inkkognito

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Those are exactly the kinds of things I meant! Wow, you've generated a bunch of ideas for me now. Just gotta work oout the specifics and get a pitch out there while I'm still in their minds. More than half of my work with gay and lesbian clients is relationship-related, so that would be a perfect area of focus.

Autodidact

...in my Maidenform Bra.
Registered
Reaction score
Great, I could do this all day. I must be a very screwed up lesbian in need of counseling:

When You Should NOT Go to Couples Counseling. (Yes, this comes from my own sad experience.)
How to Recognize a Sociopath on the First Date.
Issues to Work Out Before Having a Baby.
How to Deal with Your Girlfriend's Ex-Girlfriend.
How Soon is Too Soon?
Jealousy: Healthy, or Very Very Sick?
Ooh, ooh, Barb, this is the best one: Do pretend therapy for the characters on the "L" word!! They LOVE The "L" Word. Rent the set, watch it, and diagnose and treat the characters!!!

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
lol, you're on a roll, Auto!

Since my day is a bust, i'm tossing in for an early March.

Goals:
Query three times a week
Send out five short stories this month
Re-Beta Blood Sisters and find out what I'm missing
Finish Unnamed WIP (I'm so close!)
Blog three times a week
Break into a hunting magazine
Put up at least three Examiner articles each week
Claim at least five Demand Studio articles each week

Autodidact

...in my Maidenform Bra.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey raven, if you're in Boise, do you know the other Nancy? I tried to query her incredible story to the Boise Parent's mag without success, one of my many freelance mysteries.

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I know of her and her riding exploits, but haven't met her. Which one did you try? Treasure Valley Family Mgazine?

princessvessna

Garden Geek Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Website
treesandshrubs.about.com
Ummmm I will join in here for the first time, I guess :)

Add 4 50-100 page(with growing requirements) photo galleries to About
Blog 3x weekly at About
Add 100 Glossary entries to About
Write 2 other pieces a week for About
Put up 3 Examiner posts a week
Try to get some Demand Studios done

Autodidact

...in my Maidenform Bra.
Registered
Reaction score
I know of her and her riding exploits, but haven't met her. Which one did you try? Treasure Valley Family Mgazine?

Yes, twice, and heard nothing! And I've been published in more than one parenting magazine. I was surprised. If you're in there, maybe you'd like to give it a try. Nancy said anyone can query the story and she'll be interviewed and supply pictures. I have her email address, plus she sends a newsletter, if you're interested. They're in Mexico last I heard--maybe the Yucatan by now.

Autodidact

...in my Maidenform Bra.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Princess, I've got a question for you. The reason I started thinking freelance a little over a year ago was that I had a subject to write about. I still haven't figured out where to query it. It's about gardening dirt (so to speak) cheap and ecologically. I'm not a gardening expert, just been doing it at home for a few years, but I do it at little or no cost, and I think I have useful info for people about how to get hardscaping materials free, how to use compost, get free mulch, etc., and generally garden with no $, less work and organically. I really want to start querying it, but don't know where, because I don't have the creds to get into a gardening magazine. Actually I have a fantasy that one day I'm going to write a book about it. Anyway, any thoughts on good places for a non-gardening expert to query a gardening article like that? Just lately I thought I might start just focusing on vegetable gardening: how to plant a vegetable garden at no cost, with little work, ecologically.

blueobsidian

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writersblocks.blogspot.com
I suppose I will jump in here as well. I've been writing up a storm (amazing how motivating the economy can be) and want to continue with a minimum of:

-Claim at least 10 Demand Studios articles each week
-Post one Examiner piece per day
-Post one Suite article per day
-Blog once per week
-At least five queries

inkkognito

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
I've been writing up a storm (amazing how motivating the economy can be)
Glad to see you jumping in! And amen to the economy being a motivator (I never would have believed I could knock out nearly $1000 worth of Demand Studio in a month...whew!).

Auto, you've armed me with a ton of great ideas! Hopefully I'll have another hit with Curve.

Princess, glad to see you jumping in too. JHS is a great motivator/support system.

Raven, good list, and Jeffo, I'm watching for yours!

I sent out the sidebar for my Animal Wellness piece yesterday, so I have two more to finish at Demand Studio and then a clean start for the March goals.

blueobsidian

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writersblocks.blogspot.com
Glad to see you jumping in! And amen to the economy being a motivator (I never would have believed I could knock out nearly $1000 worth of Demand Studio in a month...whew!).

I've been amazed with DS. I joined back in October, but never seemed to find any good topics so I forgot about it. However I decided to give it another try about a week ago and have been having great luck. Getting that payment yesterday really motivated me to make it a priority. I've done seven lists for them so far this morning!

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
auto, i've heard they are really bad about calling back on queries. For you gardening article have you tried The Growing Edge? i've pitched a few things to them, no acceptances yet, but they seem nice enough. Also what about Organic Gardening? (Just saw this one today browseing Fundsforwriters.com)

Last edited:

inkkognito

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
I've been amazed with DS. I joined back in October, but never seemed to find any good topics so I forgot about it. However I decided to give it another try about a week ago and have been having great luck. Getting that payment yesterday really motivated me to make it a priority. I've done seven lists for them so far this morning!
Being a glutton for punishment, I just jumped out there and claimed 14 horse-related topics. I couldn't resist.

inkkognito

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Hurry and get out there, there are still some good ones! Actually, I think these are my first horse articles for DS. I've done some on dogs but have never managed to get horsey stuff before unless it was so long ago that I don't remember (other than some suggested titles in the old days of $15 suggestions).

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I managed to grab a few as well as a couple dog ones. My goal is $300 a month from DS right now. I'm not only impressed but intimidated by your $1000!

anne_marie

Registered
Reaction score
Anne Marie's March Goal list

Hello,

Anne Marie here. I have several goals that I would like to get down for March

1)I have three books to edit. I wrote three novels totaling about 6ooK each (short I know but I am editing / revising / rewriting them) I almost always end up with a first draft of 200K and the final draft is much more fleshed out with descriptions and the like

2)Preparing outlines for Screnzy next month

3)Writing a novel for MarNo @ NaNoWriMo (not official just good pracrtice for the real thing)

and finally

4)putting the final touches on "A life more Ordinary" the novel I wrote for JanNo. I am planning on having it self published within the year.

Wish me luck :)

inkkognito

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
I managed to grab a few as well as a couple dog ones. My goal is $300 a month from DS right now. I'm not only impressed but intimidated by your $1000!
Heck, I'M intimidated by my $1000! I set an early-year bar that I don't think I'm going to easily hit again. I hope they keep it up with releasing so many $15 titles.