Agent Quandary

frustratedguy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice, information, help, etc.
I have an agent who tried to sell a novel of mine but got shot down by about 15 publishers. I understand that part of it. It happens. What I struggled with is the fact that he would not return my e-mails during the process and I always seemed to be the one who had to make the phone call to connect. As you might imagine, this was very stressful. Communication was terrible, and I obviously didn't feel like I was a priority. It was extremely frustrating.
I'm almost done with the second draft of another novel, and my thoughts have turned to my agent problem. Bottom line, I'd like to find a new one. But I'm concerned that with the economy, this might be a bad time to be in the market for a new agent.
So my questions are:
-- Is it true that it's any more difficult to find an agent now than it was, say, a year ago?
-- Is it better to have an agent, no matter how frustrating he is, rather than have to dive back into the pool and try to get another one?
-- I'm under contract to the agent for the first book. Would it be kosher to send out my second novel to one or two agents I'd really like to work with? Or is the proper protocol to inform my current agent first?
My head says that it would be great to be able to play both sides, but my heart says it's slimy.
For whatever it's worth (probably not much), I think this novel is better than the first. The agent does have a solid background and history.
I'd appreciate any input.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Since this isn't about a particular agent, I'm going to move it over to the Ask the Agent forum.

Please keep hands and feet inside the thread until it comes to a complete stop.

ETA: And now that we're here...

1) Only in the sense that as technology makes writing and querying easier, agents' workloads have also increased. (Un)fortunately, the ratio of drek to publishable remains the same, so if you write a good story well, you've got the same chance to get an agent as you did a year ago. It just takes longer now.
2) Personalities being what they are, even good agents won't be a good fit for everyone. If his style is cramping yours, it may be time to move on.
3) Contractual obligations aside, it's not good form to shop around behind your agent's back. IMO, regardless of whether you decide to stay with him, you need to sit down with him for a serious talk about your current and future book(s).

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
You need, I think, to talk to your agent. Write him a letter detailing your concerns and give him the chance to address them. If he doesn't reply then you know to terminate the relationship