PDA

View Full Version : Rejections will happen, ...

Glenakin
02-26-2009, 10:51 PM
... but when you get what you've worked hard for, you'll love it.

I know people have said this a million times: "You'll get rejected and then one day someone will accept your script," but until you've actually been rejected a COUPLE of times, you never really know the feeling. And it can be a frustrating feeling, especially when you think your manuscript is really good.

I just want to share this story with you lot:

http://jetreidliterary.blogspot.com/2009/02/1399-tax.html

Red.Ink.Rain
02-27-2009, 01:41 AM
That's a great story! Thanks for sharing it. And personally, I'm thankful for my rejections - 'cause it's just going to make it that much cooler when an agent wants to rep me. :)

Chanelley
02-27-2009, 01:47 AM
Yeah, it may hurt for a minute when I get rejected on a partial or full, but when that call or email finally comes through with a contract - I will be SO happy.

nitaworm
02-27-2009, 02:01 AM
OH! Thanks for sharing that one...now back to editing....

JamieB
02-27-2009, 10:07 PM
When I finally get that call I'm going to crawl up onto the roof and scream at the top of my lungs and dance around like a crazy woman!

I'll make sure it's on You Tube for your enjoyment. :)

Maprilynne
02-27-2009, 10:33 PM
I have a bout a zillion rejections (including one form Janet Reid!). Okay, more like over 150.

I also have a four-book publishing contract.

It SO happens!!!

Red.Ink.Rain
02-27-2009, 10:41 PM
*simmers in jealousy*

Lol. Oh well - I'll be there one day. :D

brgray19
03-01-2009, 08:47 AM
Thanks for this Glenakin. I think we can all use a story like this in the times of rejection! :)

eyeblink
03-01-2009, 10:32 AM
It's also worth pointing out that an acceptance does not mean you will never get any more rejections. Getting published is one thing (and congratulations to those who have achieved that) but staying published is the next challenge!

KikiteNeko
03-01-2009, 10:53 AM
That's awesome. But alas, as someone else said, getting an agent does not mean the end of rejections. I've gotten like 7 editor rejections in the time I've had my agent.

Red.Ink.Rain
03-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Good point, tomo.

SassyB
03-01-2009, 03:19 PM
I'm trying not to use the word 'rejection' anymore - too many negative vibes so I've decided to say 'Not Accepted Yet.' Much more user friendly.
I did talk about it on my blog and was hoping to start a new trend but I think rejection might be too ingrained in every writers psyche. :Shrug:

Mythical Tiger
03-01-2009, 03:28 PM
I can't wait 'till I'm done with my novel and I get rejectedXD.......

~Sam

Glenakin
03-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Thanks for this Glenakin. I think we can all use a story like this in the times of rejection! :)

No problem;)

It's also worth pointing out that an acceptance does not mean you will never get any more rejections. Getting published is one thing (and congratulations to those who have achieved that) but staying published is the next challenge!

Yeah, true that.

I can't wait 'till I'm done with my novel and I get rejectedXD.......

~Sam

Lol you and me both!

Shady Lane
03-01-2009, 07:55 PM
That's awesome. But alas, as someone else said, getting an agent does not mean the end of rejections. I've gotten like 7 editor rejections in the time I've had my agent.

And even after an editor acceptance there are more to come! My editor just passed on my second book.

Red.Ink.Rain
03-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Ugh, I'm sorry Shady - is that These Humans All Suck?

Blondchen
03-01-2009, 11:22 PM
Shady, that blows. But so indicative of the biz, is it not? At each step you think "This is it! I've made it." Nope. It's always a struggle and you're always getting rejected - agents, editors, readers, critics... Neverending!

Glenakin
03-02-2009, 02:17 AM
I'm trying not to use the word 'rejection' anymore - too many negative vibes so I've decided to say 'Not Accepted Yet.' Much more user friendly.
I did talk about it on my blog and was hoping to start a new trend but I think rejection might be too ingrained in every writers psyche. :Shrug:

Yeah, "not accepted yet" is a much positive vibe, to be honest. I mean, rejection sounds more like it's so bad it will never be picked, which isn't entirely true.

And even after an editor acceptance there are more to come! My editor just passed on my second book.

Sorry to hear that. Maybe the editor is waiting to see how your debut book performs first, or maybe they want something else. I'm guessing they would have said something, assuming they have a more-than-one-book deal with you.

rifferaff
04-08-2010, 06:29 PM
Just got my first rejection, so I went through the archives to look for anything with "rejection" in the title. Ha! This thread is a comfort. All it takes is one "yes!"

shaldna
04-08-2010, 06:31 PM
It's part of the game

cscarlet
04-08-2010, 08:59 PM
I visit Janet's blog regularly, but hadn't seen this post yet.

It made my day!!!! :)

(It's the little things).

Roly
04-08-2010, 09:58 PM
*faves*

I really needed that :D

shaldna
04-09-2010, 12:08 PM

Aww. That sucks. Blow them away with the third.

Shady Lane
04-09-2010, 06:57 PM
haha, this is a really old thread, guys. my editor has since bought 2 more books from me.

Tuuli
04-10-2010, 12:52 AM
That's a great story! Thanks for sharing it. And personally, I'm thankful for my rejections - 'cause it's just going to make it that much cooler when an agent wants to rep me. :)

No kidding! I wrote in my yearbook (I borrowed it from anon): Life is like a bowl of sugar. The more lumps there are the sweeter it is. Okay, I was desperate for something and I procrastinated . . . never realized how appropriate it would be for me one day. :D

Skye Jules
04-11-2010, 05:44 AM
Rejection hasn't miffed me one bit. I did, however, receive a personal rejection for a flash fiction that said it was a fine piece of work, but it wasn't the right fit. So I know I'm close, just not with that particular magazine.

Sleigh88
04-15-2010, 11:15 PM
I know this thread is old, but allow me to say belatedly that that blog post made me really happy.

Glenakin
04-16-2010, 04:18 AM
Lol I'm glad to have been part of this thread :D I didn't realise I started until I looked and saw it was me. At first I thought someone hacked into my account and created a thread. Then I realised it's an old thread lol

Yeah, rejection comes and goes, but remember it's not the end ;)