PDA

View Full Version : Touch phone question

Enna
02-26-2009, 10:44 AM
Actually, this could be a computer question too, but for my purposes it's for the iPhone.

On the main menu, what do you call the icons you click on to open the program? Like the blue e for internet explorer, or the little globe for firefox? Is that a widget?

Thanks!

alleycat
02-26-2009, 10:55 AM
I would think the individual images are still just called icons.

(But I don't have an iPhone, so they might be called something else, I suppose.)

The Lonely One
02-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Actually, this could be a computer question too, but for my purposes it's for the iPhone.

On the main menu, what do you call the icons you click on to open the program? Like the blue e for internet explorer, or the little globe for firefox? Is that a widget?

Thanks!

I thought they were called shortcuts, but I'm oldschool grew up DOS into Windows 3.0 and I can't say I don't hate macs with all my heart...

I've heard something about "apps" on their commercials. Er, something to that effect.

I'm no help. I'm sorry.

RJK
02-26-2009, 06:07 PM
You'd be safe calling them icons. They represent Apps (applications).

kuwisdelu
02-26-2009, 09:34 PM
Technically they're icons.

The actual programs, on the iPhone, are apps (short for application). They're apps on every other computer, too, but Steve Jobs happens to like that abbreviation more than most.

Oh, and an iPhone wouldn't have IE or Firefox. It has Safari (blue compass).

Unless I were trying to be specific that I only meant the icon (e.g., if I were describing what it looked like--the blue compass, for example), I'd probably just say "app."

veinglory
02-26-2009, 09:36 PM
Indeed. They are icons, what they open are apps, and iPhone uses Safari only--a compass symbol.

kuwisdelu
02-26-2009, 09:53 PM
Thought I'd mention Apple has recently started allowing alternative browsers onto the app store. There are only a few others on it so far. Nothing notable yet. I wonder if Opera, Firefox, or Chrome will want in?

veinglory
02-26-2009, 09:55 PM
I would change over to one that ran Flash.

kuwisdelu
02-26-2009, 09:59 PM
I blame Adobe.

Enna
02-27-2009, 11:02 AM
Okay, icons and apps...

The phone in my story isn't actually an iPhone, it's a brand I invented (sci-fi story). So if I wanted to describe a character selecting a program, I would probably call it an app. But if I actually describe the picture (i.e. the Safari compass) I would call it an icon. Sound right?

This is a YA book...will saying programs make me sound outdated? Geez, I'm still in my twenties...crazy how this stuff passes you by. :)

Thanks for the help!

kuwisdelu
02-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Yes, the picture itself is an icon.

Calling it a program wouldn't really be dated, but when talking about programs on phones, I don't know of many people that really use the term "program," even though it's just as accurate.

I'd call it an app or an application. "Application" you're safe either way, since app is short for it, so you're fine there, and it's pretty much a synonym for program anyway.

Barb D
02-28-2009, 04:44 AM
Okay, icons and apps...

The phone in my story isn't actually an iPhone, it's a brand I invented (sci-fi story). So if I wanted to describe a character selecting a program, I would probably call it an app. But if I actually describe the picture (i.e. the Safari compass) I would call it an icon. Sound right?

This is a YA book...will saying programs make me sound outdated? Geez, I'm still in my twenties...crazy how this stuff passes you by. :)

Thanks for the help!

Hey, I remember when touch tone phones first came out in the 70's. And my in-laws still have a dial phone. You're not outdated by a long shot!