PDA

View Full Version : A Rant about Guinness

nancy sv
02-26-2009, 09:41 AM
Can I vent a bit here?

I just got an email from Guinness World Records and I'm pretty much furious right about now. I'm trying to be rational, but it's hard.

About a year ago we wrote to Guinness about the possibility of our sons getting the record for being the youngest people to ride their bikes from Alaska to Argentina. They wrote back and said there already was a record and gave us the basic information about the guy who currently holds the record, etc... They also sent us the guidelines we have to follow for the record.

So - 8.5 months ago we set off to ride from Alaska to ARgentina. We've been very careful to follow the guidelines they gave us because we didn't want to have any hassle with the record -t he kids would be heartbroken if it didn't go through. As we were planning our route through Belize/Guatemala, we discovered a ferry from southern Belize to Guatemala that we would like to take, so I wrote to Guinness to ask them if that was allowed - if not we can take the road, but we would prefer to go the other way.

Just a few hours ago, I got a reply from them. They said that is was absolutely not allowed to take the ferrry (that part is OK), but then they went on to say that we weren't even allowed to pass through Belize because it isn't on the Pan-American Highway. If we go over there, we will need to return to Mexico City and continue on down a particular highway!!

The number one guideline thatthey gave us a year ago was that we could follow ANY ROUTE we wanted, as long as we started in Prudhoe Bay, Alaska, and ended in Ushuaia, Argentina. ANY ROUTE!! Now they are saying we need to follow a particular road - but we don't even know what that road is!!

What really burns me is that the current record holder took a ferry from Baja California to Mazatlan - an 18-hour ferry ride!! And he didn't ride on the road they are telling us we need to take. How can they recognize him as the record holder if he didn't follow the "rules" they are nowcreating?

Anway, I've written to them to ask for clarification - and for the specific route if there is one. If they change their rules on us after we are 7000 miles in and make it so my boys can't get the record, I don't know what we will do. They will be devastated!!

chevbrock
02-26-2009, 03:12 PM
Guinness is overrated. It takes ten minutes to get a beer, and when it does, it tastes like shit and you have to chew it before swallowing.

All the best to your boys with their record attempt - Hope you smash it, no matter which route they make you take! :)

JimmyB27
02-26-2009, 05:02 PM
That sucks. Tell your boys that there's a bunch of people here who'll consider them record holders no matter what Guinness says.

James81
02-26-2009, 05:22 PM
My question for you is...how exactly do you do a 30 month bicycle trip....I mean, with regards to funds. Do you save a ridiculous amount of money, set up all your bills for your home to be paid automatically, and then just walk away and come back 30 months later?

I've always wondered how the people who do these long excursions actually live and fund them. Any insights into that?

Wayne K
02-26-2009, 05:24 PM
My question for you is...how exactly do you do a 30 month bicycle trip....I mean, with regards to funds. Do you save a ridiculous amount of money, set up all your bills for your home to be paid automatically, and then just walk away and come back 30 months later?

I've always wondered how the people who do these long excursions actually live and fund them. Any insights into that?
$$$$$

regdog
02-26-2009, 05:49 PM
Do you still have the original response from Guinness, if so I would forward a copy of it back to them and ask them why they have suddenly changed their criteria. One hand might not know what the other one is doing in their case.

Beach Bunny
02-26-2009, 06:57 PM
It's possible that the extra restrictions are to give your boys a better chance of beating the record and keeping it. You never know what records they might have pending at the moment.

Good luck. :)

nancy sv
02-26-2009, 07:11 PM
I suspect this is exactly that - the left hand not knowing what the right hand did. Yes, I do have the copy of the guidelines and I sent that back to them - hope they realize that what we they are saying now makes no sense in light of what they sent us before! If they do make us go 2000 miles back and do Mexico again, we will scrap the record - but the kids will be heartbroken.

As for how we're doing it... It's really tough right now. When we first made the commitment to take this trip, interest rates were high enough that - with the combined rent from our house and the interest on our retirement account - we could live. We wouldn't have to tap into the principal of the account at all. However, now that interest rates have fallen so low, we aren't getting hardly any interest at all - but we still had the rent. Until yesterday.

Yesterday I got an email from our property management firm saying that our tenant is taking a $350 paycut and cannot afford the rent. We don't want to lose her, so will reduce the rent by $150/month in order to keep her.

So - now we have basically no interest and less rent than we were counting on so are having to spend our savings It's a hard decision - should we keep going? Or quit? The boys really want to keep going, so it'll be very, very hard to quit!

nancy sv
02-26-2009, 07:13 PM
I should also add that traveling by bike is pretty cheap. It's not like we are staying in 5-star hotels all the time! We camp out more often than not, eat at cheap local restaurants or cook our own food, and try to keep expenses down as much as possible. I know a lot of people spend more on a 2-week family cruise than we will spend for a whole year of travel on bikes!

Wayne K
02-26-2009, 08:22 PM
I should also add that traveling by bike is pretty cheap. It's not like we are staying in 5-star hotels all the time! We camp out more often than not, eat at cheap local restaurants or cook our own food, and try to keep expenses down as much as possible. I know a lot of people spend more on a 2-week family cruise than we will spend for a whole year of travel on bikes!
Still, it' has to be more than I can afford. I would love to do something like that.

nancy sv
02-26-2009, 09:02 PM
Still, it' has to be more than I can afford. I would love to do something like that.

We taught for 21 years and saved as much as we could - that's what is allowing us to do this now. Even so, this economy is making it very difficult - wish those interest rates would come back up!