Font Appearance

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
Something I've noticed lately is how fonts appear different according to where they're displayed. i.e. If I type in Word with Georgia 12pt it looks different to when I read a blog written in Georgia 12pt. Even the difference between reading and writing an email in Outlook is significant.

It's like in reading version the fonts are a little more fuller. Has anyone else noticed this? Can anyone explain what's going on?

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Font is not antialiased (smoothed) in reading view, my quickie comparison screenshots tell me. Different software has its own effect, some web browsers smooth more than others. Fonts aren't static images, they are more of a guideline for display of shapes. Interesting art form, the font. :D

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
Interesting. And are fonts printed on a physical page antialiased? It looks like they're not because it seems as if in reading mode, the fonts more closely resemble how they're printed.

Matera the Mad

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Right-o. No fuzzy edges in print. It would be a real beach to produce books that way. If you use a screen magnifier to look at some of the different displayed fonts, you can see the gray pixels that soften the edges of the anti-ed ones.

Matera the Mad

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Ehhh...which option? I don't think there is any for font display as far as antialiasing in Word. It just does what it does in each View/Layout mode. Beats me why it does some of what it does. General Windows display options include font smoothing, which would make some difference all around.

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
I worked it out.

Vista uses ClearType technology which applies to writing mode in Word and windows all round. It's kind of like antialiasing. I installed this on my XP machine at work and now my fonts like rounded and stuff when writing in word.