PDA

View Full Version : Naughty Things in Email Subject Lines

Clair Dickson
02-25-2009, 07:28 PM
My novel is titled "Sex and Violence." But when I'm sending query emails, I'm rather concerned that putting that title in the Subject line will get my email sent to junk/spam mail land. Especially the word sex...

So far, I've just been putting "Query" in the subject line and not including my novel title. I like my title though, and think it's fitting for the book.

Any thoughts? Am I just paranoid? Am I potentially pissing off agents by not making my query easy to distinguish from others?

(Why, yes, I do obsess over little things like this. ;-)

Thanks!

DeleyanLee
02-25-2009, 07:32 PM
I think it's a valid concern considering spam filters.

Personally, I would do the same--just putting "query" in the subject line or maybe "query for GENRE novel" and then mention the title as appropriate in the text of the query letter. I think most reasonable people will understand why you didn't put the title in the header.

Though, I would suggest checking your own spam folder for any replies, just in case someone happens to add the title into any return correspondence. Stranger things have happened.

IceCreamEmpress
02-25-2009, 08:40 PM
It's very likely that putting "Sex and Violence" in a query line will trigger a spam filter.

And agents aren't going to be any more likely to open "QUERY: SEX AND VIOLENCE" than they are "QUERY: HARDBOILED FEMALE DETECTIVE" or whatever.

So you've got nothing to gain by adding the title and a lot to lose.

alleycat
02-25-2009, 09:05 PM
I agree. I would not put words like "sex" in the subject line.

MsGneiss
02-26-2009, 04:40 AM
It's a totally legitimate concern - based on my experience working in IT, I can tell you that most corporate email systems will have filters that are likely to push your email over to spam, and the agent will never see it. It's better to be cautious, in that regard. But you can still have a distinguishing subject line. How about: "Fiction Query: Clair Dickson."

Clair Dickson
02-26-2009, 04:43 AM
Thanks for the input. At least I'm not nuts... not yet anyway. There's always tomorrow. ;-)

Irysangel
02-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Really? I never had any problems when I queried my novel (then called SEX STARVED). I just put Query: SEX STARVED by Jill Myles and left it at that. No one commented on the title and I had no more than the normal share of non-responders.

scarletpeaches
02-26-2009, 06:31 PM
Hmm. Interesting thread. My current WIP is..well, naughty. I'm aiming for erotica and the title is a double entendre, so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see what folks suggest.

Julie Worth
02-26-2009, 07:01 PM
So far, I've just been putting "Query" in the subject line and not including my novel title. I like my title though, and think it's fitting for the book.

If you don't want to use the title, use the genre instead. In any case you should consider changing it. "Sex and Violence" is an overly common phrase, and it's been used as a book title.

Shara
02-26-2009, 08:38 PM
I tend not to put the title in the subject line of an email query. Most agency guidelines seem to request you put something along the lines of "query", rather than book title.

The "fiction query: YOUR NAME" suggestion is a good one. Then the agent is in no doubt, before even opening your email, what it is, when they sit down to go through the day's queries. Having your name there will differentiate your query from the dozens of others the agent's likely to receive that day.

Shara

Julie Worth
02-26-2009, 09:33 PM
I tend not to put the title in the subject line of an email query. Most agency guidelines seem to request you put something along the lines of "query", rather than book title.

I've yet to see a single agency that only wanted the word "query," and not the book title.

lkp
02-27-2009, 01:25 AM
I seem to remember Orion saying she had trouble with spam filtres on her e-queries. Her title was "Lottery." You can see why people might have thought it was a scam...

scarletpeaches
02-27-2009, 01:48 AM
Maybe I should change the name of my WIP Make Hot Your Love Life With These Cheap Blue Pills: Nigerian Bank Scam Penis Extension?

IceCreamEmpress
02-27-2009, 02:40 AM
I kind of like "HARDBOILED HARDBODY FEMALE DETECTIVE NOVEL" as a query line for Clair's book. And that would stand out more than "Sex and Violence," too. ;)

Clair Dickson
02-27-2009, 02:41 AM
^^
=) Maybe I'll have to try that ICE.

thethinker42
02-27-2009, 02:42 AM
Maybe I should change the name of my WIP Make Hot Your Love Life With These Cheap Blue Pills: Nigerian Bank Scam Penis Extension?

Stop stealin mah titlez!!!