Punctuation Spacing

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
Am I the only person who has major problems NOT pressing the space bar twice after a sentence? I notice that most publications today require me to only have one space after a punctuation mark, but I can't stop my thumb!

Yes, I know I can actually write the whole document with two spaces and then go back and replace all the double-spaces, but I'm trying to re-teach my fingers to type one space. It is SO not working! Gah!

Reaction score
A popular subject, this and here is my stock answer:

Before joining AW, I had never heard of this 'pressing the spacebar twice' idea.

You can set MS Word to switch two spaces to one, or switch one to two, I think. But I press the spacebar once and have never done anything else.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I believe that need to space twice came from the days of the typewriter. Not sure. Also, Word always tells me the single space is wrong. ("No it's not! Go away, Word!") I can tell you one thing: editors and agents aren't crazy about the double space, and it should be no space after abbreviations. For instance, Mr. Smith should be Mr.Smith. Keep practicing or post a note to your computer screen.

Reaction score
In the case of "Mr. Smith" I would press space between the full-stop and 'Smith', simply because it's a full stop. Doesn't matter that it's an abbreviation. It's a punctuation mark, therefore it deserves a space.

Reaction score
Probably one of those age-old UK/US style differences. Or maybe your agent was just weird. :D

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
Indeed, the double-space, at least in my case, is because of me learning to type on a typewriter, where it was ALWAYS done. And I'm trying to retrain my fingers, but they don't want to learn!

Reaction score
I learned to type on a typewriter and like I said, had never heard of this two-spaces rule before joining AW.

(n.b. I'm 32 now and learned to type when I was around 5).

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I had to take a typing class in middle school-- we used typewriters even though the other hall had a computer lab. I learned to type hitting the space bar twice. This was in the early 1990s. Well, technically, I was typing before that, but my punctuation and spacing were... um, kind of random, really.

I don't think I'd be able to break the habit. It's just natural for me. Oh well. I'm not worried about it thus far. If an editor needs me to change it, I will. Same as those em dashes, smart quotes and other things I have to clean up before submission. (While I turn them off on my computer, they're still fully functional on other people's computers where I sometimes type.)

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
Am I the only person who has major problems NOT pressing the space bar twice after a sentence? I notice that most publications today require me to only have one space after a punctuation mark, but I can't stop my thumb!

Yes, I know I can actually write the whole document with two spaces and then go back and replace all the double-spaces, but I'm trying to re-teach my fingers to type one space. It is SO not working! Gah!

I had a hard time adjusting and still have to run a find and replace to make sure that my spacing is consistent.

DaddyCat

Registered
Reaction score
It took me approximately one week to adjust, once I commited to using the single space everywhere, including my own journals. I switched because clients for corporate writing may specify page length rather than word counts, and those extra spaces can add up.

Thrillride

A Suburban Farmer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asuburbanfarmer.com
I believe that need to space twice came from the days of the typewriter. Not sure. Also, Word always tells me the single space is wrong. ("No it's not! Go away, Word!") I can tell you one thing: editors and agents aren't crazy about the double space, and it should be no space after abbreviations. For instance, Mr. Smith should be Mr.Smith. Keep practicing or post a note to your computer screen.

Weird! Word doesn't tell me it's wrong. I just did it...nada.
I was used to the double thing before, too (it's the typewriter's fault). I had to relearn it.

DaddyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Weird! Word doesn't tell me it's wrong. I just did it...nada.
I was used to the double thing before, too (it's the typewriter's fault). I had to relearn it.

I'm not using Word anymore, but if I recall correctly, it's an adjustable setting in their grammar checker.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
You can change Word to check for one or two spaces after a period. (It's in the Spelling and Grammar options-- find Writing Style and there's a button for 'settings' Click and you're transported to a magical land of checkboxes.) Mine's set for two just so I'm consistent. It also notices when I have three (or four or five) spaces. This I find helpful.

Mel

Never be completely back to normal.
Registered
Reaction score
Have always used two spaces and don't intend to change.

I don't get the no space between Mr. and Smith. That's like saying it should be MisterSmith. Um, no. Very strange.

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
My double-space-after-peroid habit came not from a typewriter (which my dad had, and it was the very first thing I typed on) but from a typing class when I was in 6th grade -- where we learned on green-font-on-black-screen things that reminded me of tanks (mid-80's). I double-spaced after every sentence for a good fifteen years, at least. Probably more.

But I re-trained myself a few years ago and haven't had a problem with it since. Single-spacing after sentences is now as ingrained in me as double-spacing used to be. I never even give it a second thought, and I haven't been single-spacing all that long. It is possible! :)

ETA: I also don't get the no space between Mr. and Smith. I can understand no period, like Mr Smith, but no space in between is something I've never heard before.

DaddyCat

Registered
Reaction score
I checked AP and Chicago and still can't find any reference to dropping the space after an abbreviated title. Maybe they were thinking of 'no spaces in multiple abbreviations' , like 'T.S. Eliot', to keep multiples from being separated during typesetting. But if anyone - editor, agent, or otherwise - told me to write 'Mr.Smith', I'd think they were nuts.

Deleted member 42

Have always used two spaces and don't intend to change.

I don't get the no space between Mr. and Smith. That's like saying it should be MisterSmith. Um, no. Very strange.

It's wrong, UK or US, it's wrong.

Pick up a published professionally typeset book or magazine, and check.

Dale Emery

is way off topic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dalehartleyemery.com
I'm trying to switch, too. For years I rebelled against the idea that two-spacing is unnecessary with word processors. To my eye, most word processors are awful at typesetting, especially in that they set sentences too close together. So I continued adding my two spaces, which most WPs render wider than a single space.

I wish most WPs were as smart about typesetting as are TeX and LaTeX. Hrmph.

Dale

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I learned on ancient green-on-black computers as well, and was taught to double-space. I re-trained myself about a year ago, and haven't looked back since. :)