Can I tranfer MS Word to another computer?

VisionScript

Registered
Reaction score
Hi: I've been using the trial version of Microsoft Word 2007 on my new computer. I have it on another computer, a laptop. Can I transfer that to the computer I need to use it on?

The laptop is Windows Vista and the computer I need to use is Windows xp. Thanks.

Last edited:

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
You should be able to install it from the disk or download it from Microsoft. But after a certain period of time, the functionality of the trial... drops significantly. When the trial period ends, you lose many, many functions. I *think* save was one of the functions you lose after the trial period. At least, on my trial, that's what happened. Maybe they changed the trial.

That said, I'd either get the upgrade or leave it alone. But that's me. I kind of flipped out when my trial ended and all sorts of things (pretty sure save was one of them) stopped working. Not cool.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I'm not sure what you mean by transfer? Do you mean the files? Or the application itself? You would need to re-install it on your new computer. Word 2007 should work on XP.

scribbler1382

Write For You, Edit For The Reader
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soderstrom.ca
Word runs fine on either Vista or XP. If you have an OEM version on your laptop (no install disks) then it's licensed just for that computer. You can't transfer an OEM license. I know, it sucks.:Shrug:

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
If you purchased MS Office or MS Word, and still have the original install disk and the keycode, you can install it on another PC. If not, what the other said applies.

VisionScript

Registered
Reaction score
I can make restore disks (from the laptop), but I suppose that only works on the computer it's meant for. I guess I'll have to buy it. Didn't want to. It's eighty dollars on Amazon.com. I could have sworn Microsoft was offering it for forty dollars when I downloaded the trial.

ComicBent

Registered
Reaction score
Consider this

Only $80 for Microsoft Word? I don't have time to check it out on Amazon right now, but that must be the upgrade (which assumes you have a previous licensed version already on your computer). You might want to check on that price and see what you actually get. Or maybe Microsoft is selling it cheap to unload all their copies and get the herd moving to adopt it.

I have to keep a version of Microsoft Word on my computer, but I am really impressed by OpenOffice.org, which is a FREE office suite. I have been checking out the word processor component of the suite, and it works very well, from what I have seen so far.

Last edited:

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
Only $80 for Microsoft Word? I don't have time to check it out on Amazon right now, but that must be the upgrade (which assumes you have a previous licensed version already on your computer). You might want to check on that price and see what you actually get. Or maybe Microsoft is selling it cheap to unload all their copies and get the herd moving to adopt it.

I have to keep a version of Microsoft Word on my computer, but I am really impressed by OpenOffice.org, which is a FREE office suite. I have been checking out the word processor component of the suite, and it works very well, from what I have seen so far.

$80 is a good price. When I looked into buying a copy in the US (which Amazon wouldn't ship to a Canadian address - grrrr), it was on sale for $125.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
If a trial version came with the computer, it's stuck on that computer. Trial versions of anything are to be avoided like the clichéd plague.

This gives me a nostalgic buzz, though. The first version of Word I ever had was ripped from a computer I picked up off a trash heap. Word 97 -- it ran, after I scrounged all the right files to my other computer, though it always birched about something when it started up. Couldn't do that with today's versions!

VisionScript

Registered
Reaction score
It's office home and student 2007, which includes ms word. Regularly $149 on sale at Amazon.com for $77. Maybe the economy is why. I'll check OpenOffice out, but I'm kinda hooked on Word.

scribbler1382

Write For You, Edit For The Reader
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soderstrom.ca
Buy it. You're not going to find it any cheaper than that. Hell, I nosed around ebay and they're paying MORE for it thanks to the lemmings with auction-fever. I did notice there was a "new" version of Wordstar 6 for DOS 2.0 for $46. It took all my willpower not to drop a bid on that bit of nostalgia. <sigh>

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
If you are stuck on the name brand (MSOffice), and find it for 150 or less, LEGAL, buy it. The Home and Student version has almost everything the Standard Suite does, except for Publisher. You can find it at Amazon or Educational Resources.

STICK WITH "NAME" SOURCES for your software purchases.

Note please, I'm not dissing MSOffice. I use it for some work stuff myself. However --

Open Office does pretty much everything that Office does, and both opens and saves MS Office files. And, it's free. Looks a lot like Office. Some of the buttons are labelled different, or in a different place.

To follow up on the OEM comment upthread. Trial or full doesn't make a difference. If the license sticker says it is an OEM version, it is only valid on THAT machine.

And, while you could delete the trial version and remove all traces of it from the computer's registry, then redownload a new trial, it really isn't worth the hassle and risk of hosing your machine.

VisionScript

Registered
Reaction score
Oh why oh why didn't I check back here? I checked my Amazon cart last night and the package has gone back up to $125. But that's okay. I just downloaded OpenOffice and I love it. So, I saved myself $77. And thank you all very much.