Scammed?

Tigercub

Registered
Reaction score
I answered an ad in Craigslist for a freelance writer. They responded last week and asked for two sample articles. I e-mailed them last Friday. Yesterday I sent a follow-up e-mail to see if they got them.

No response yet.

So I have a couple of questions. I got the request late Monday and sent the articles early Friday. That wasn't too late, was it?

And now I'm a little worried that this might have been a case where they asked several writers for "samples," and then went ahead, used the samples, and blew the writer off without response or pay.

Granted it's only been a couple of days. But today I visited Craigslist again and saw in one city several ads advertising for a freelance writer and asking for 3 or 4 sample articles (not the same ad I answered). That raised flags and got me to thinking about it.

Last question. If they don't respond, the articles are mine to do with as I wish, right? What if they put them on their website, anyway? And how would I know?

Last edited:

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
Yeah, I'm hearing more and more about "samples." Someone else mentioned in another thread, instead of writing new samples, send clips or other copyrighted work. That way they can see you can write and won't be getting something for nothing. Someone who is seriously about finding someone who can write will accept them.

blueobsidian

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writersblocks.blogspot.com
What if they put them on their website, anyway? And how would I know?

Set up a Google alert with a unique phrase from each sample. I do this with a lot of my web content and it helps track down the plagiarists quickly. An alert will be delivered to your inbox if the text is posted on a site that is spidered (that's why it is important to make it something unique -- otherwise you'll spend forever wading through pages!)

I have one set up with my name as well. That way, the naive plagiarists who credit me get caught quickly.

Cate

Never Bored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherineltully.com
I do not reply to job inquiries on Craigslist if they ask for sample articles right off the bat.

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
I do not reply to job inquiries on Craigslist if they ask for sample articles right off the bat.
Me either. I stick to the ones that ask for clips. I have enough examples for them to judge my qualifications and ability. They shouldn't need to see a "fresh" article.

Cate

Never Bored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherineltully.com
Me either. I stick to the ones that ask for clips. I have enough examples for them to judge my qualifications and ability. They shouldn't need to see a "fresh" article.

Totally agreed. Also, if I do send clips, I make sure to note a copyright on them.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Don't give samples articles.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard of some people who go so far as to send PDFs of their clips instead of text. Generally, if someone asks for samples, you will not hear from them again once they have your "free" work.

dthomas

Registered
Reaction score
When I first heard of CL I loved looking at all the opportunities, but now sometimes I dread looking through the writing gigs/jobs because of things like this. I always try to get more "personalized" information before I send any writing out. If the ad seems generic or does not list any specific information it might be a warning sign. And even if they do, I would still proceed with caution.

Because CL is a free service it often catches all the spam that other sites don't have. I would suggest using oDesk.com or looking at freelancewriting.com for a variety of different sites.

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
I've gotten a couple of gigs off CL, but the gig-to-schlock ratio is pretty low. Still, I do browse it from time to time. I don't send samples tho'...they can visit my website and peruse my PDFs. For the legit jobs I got there, that was plenty.

Tigercub

Registered
Reaction score
The ad I answered wanted samples on specific subjects, and my problem is that I don't have more than one or two older clips because I'm just starting out as a freelancer.

Still haven't heard from them.

The ads I've seen on Craigslist that really raise red flags go something like: "writer wanted to write articles on a variety of subjects. If interested, send 4 samples."

I once applied and interviewed for an editing job. During the interview they had me do an editing test. Okay, that's fair. Then they wanted me to edit a manuscript that they had already published. Okay, sure. Then they wanted me to edit something else. I spent five hours there editing. Then they sent me on my way. When I didn't hear anything from them after a week, I started calling for a status check. The person I was supposed to talk to was at lunch, out of town, away from her desk, out sick, on vacation, at a conference out of town, in the hospital, or attending a funeral. Sometimes on the same day!

Uh-huh.

Well, the good news is that I used one of those samples to get my foot in with another freelance job. This one I got.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Tiger, unless you are supposed to be writing well on an obscure or extremely challenging subject like medical research, a generic clip should be enough to assure them that you have the spelling, grammar, and proofreading skills to take on their task. Their insisting "but writing about parenting is different" is just an excuse to get free work out of you 9 times out of 10.

zoomusic

doing it word by word
Registered
Reaction score
I am so skeptical of CL...still, I did get a good gig off of the site. The woman made it clear up-front that the first writing 'sample' would not be paid--it was used to 'cull' writers for her site--which she gave a link to in the ad. So, I sent in a sample, knowing it would be unpaid, got a clip from the gig, and now, she pays for subsequent articles.

Just be careful with CL...there are a lot of shady people hanging out there.

Tigercub

Registered
Reaction score
There are some good gigs on Craigslist. Sometimes it's like panning for gold in the litterbox....

I found the website the articles would be uploaded onto and bookmarked it. If my articles end up there, I'll send them the link and an invoice. :)

Had to do something, though. Looking for a day job sure wasn't working anymore.

Deleted member 42

1. Unless you sign a contract assigning some or all your rights anything you write is covered by copyright.

2. I would not send actual sample files, even in .pdf, unless you have a "real" address from a custom domain that you recognize or can research.

3. Put samples on the Web (use Google Pages if you need a site; they're free and easy) with your copyright clearly displayed. Send a URL to the page.

4. IF you find your rights are violated, you can issue a polite request to remove your content or pay you for it, followed a week or so later by a demand for a DMCA takedown.

ON CL: There are a number of seemingly legit writing gigs that will send a followup letter with a request that you take a survey: run like hell. It's a credit card /ID theft scam. If you see this on CL or elsewhere, report the post to the site owner/admin/abuse address.

Empress_Isis

Jenna Cosgrove
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.popeighties.com
It sucks that people are doing this, but not really surprising. When times are tough the scammers come out in force.

It is not unreasonable for someone to ask for you to prove that you can write before they entrust you with real work for clients or work that has a deadline. My sister has a business that hires freelance writers for article work, and she always has them do a trial - however, it is a paid trial so even if your article completely sucks you'll get paid for your time. Her ads always contain her name and company name, and a quick Google search of her name will show you that she is very well established in the business world.

So my advice would be to stick to the more legit sites such as Guru, and to always ask who you are working for. If you use sites like Guru you can see the ratings that other freelancers have given the employers, how much the employer has paid to freelancers and so on. You're much less likely to get scammed that way.

Tigercub

Registered
Reaction score
Life bites.

I never did hear from the people that I wrote the articles for, so I assume that's dead. I'll follow up again, but I don't really have any hope for that job.

The other Craigslist job also bit it. I edited a dissertation for them as a test, and I just two hours ago got the news that they're not going to hire me. No real reason given, just that they're not going forward with it. This was a real consulting company. Either I'm nowhere near as good as I thought I was (and I spent four years editing scientific papers for a peer-reviewed journal), or I was scammed there as well. It does more for my self-confidence to think that I was scammed, but I don't think that was the case. Candidates had to do two unpaid edits, so why not get both edits out of me if I was any good?

I'm now back to being terrified. This was the job that would pay enough to pay my mortgage.

I don't like this starving writer bit! Not at all!

Life both bites and blows. :-(

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
How do you know they were a real consulting company?

Tiger if I could make a suggestion, create a blog and if people want samples, then point them to your blog. No more freebies.

I have a feeling you just edited someone's dissertation for them and it wasn't a test but rather a scam.

Last edited:

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
A word of caution. Before you accept any position or assignment please make them send you information about them and their company. Get a set price established and don't send more than one article at a time. Make sure they pay you upon acceptance and not published dates.