Lent

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, it's tomorrow it starts! My mom was asking (I don't celebrate so I couldn't remember when), so thanks for posting about this :) Have a good Lent and Happy Easter!

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
I'm giving up promo work.

No. Seriously. No more promoing for me.

Okay. I lied. I'll give up lying instead. ;) Maybe I'll even pop into church so my priest can have the pleasure of lightning in the cathedral. He'll love it, I know.

Rachel

Stuff and nonsense.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm actually Melkite Greek Catholic. Lent started yesterday, for us.
My birthday always falls during Lent. It is sad. :(
But I'm fine. :D

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
Have a happy Easter! I'm Catholic too, but because my mom's a little different than normal Catholics she doesn't really observe Lent except for the no meat on Fridays. I've decided to help out more around the house.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm giving up cigarettes. But I started Monday thinking that lent started then.

Obviously I'm not Catholic (used to be when I was kid).

Kateri

Registered
Reaction score
I used to do Lent. Now after years as a kid giving up every thing I liked the best in life, like lollies and chocolate and dessert, I pig out and have fun. Lent taught me to question self denial.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
When I was seventeen I gave up going to church for lent. I've never been back. 47 years of sticking to a lentern promise. Is that a record?

SirOtter

Il Cavaliere Marino
Registered
Reaction score
It's the same for we Episcopalians. Several years ago I gave up Lent for Lent.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
I didn't know what else to say :tongue I haven't celebrated Lent in years.
Lent's not celebratory, it's a reflective time. It's not about necessarily giving things up, imo, if that helps. Unless of course, that's your spiritual aim.

Yes, the no meat on Fridays still holds.

Yes, I'm Catholic.

Easter is celebratory :D

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
For us Lent was always about giving something up - to symbolize the religious sacrifice. I stopped doing it when I decided I was agnostic instead of Catholic (and my recovery's coming along nicely, thank you very much :D).

Now my husband's from a very Catholic family and since it's important to him, my daughter's now in CCD (or whatever they call it because I know it isn't CCD anymore, but that's how I suffered through it) and since it's Lent... well... we do the no meat on Fridays thing, and she will give something up... I haven't decided if I'm going to, though.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
That's why I'm suggesting it be more of reflective in lieu of giving up. That's how our priest explains it, and it makes much more sense to me...that's what Jesus would want anyhow, instead of a bunch of grumblers :D who more than likely are going to go right back to whatever they gave up! whereas, being reflective, for me, may bring about more lasting change, which might be the point. I probably need coffee, right ;)

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Catholic here, I have chosen to give up something I do a lot of times but won't mention here out of shame just to teach myself self-control and because I feel I need to give something back, haven't gone to a church in a while (about a year, I think) so this is some sort of retribution.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
That's why I'm suggesting it be more of reflective in lieu of giving up. That's how our priest explains it, and it makes much more sense to me...that's what Jesus would want anyhow, instead of a bunch of grumblers :D who more than likely are going to go right back to whatever they gave up! whereas, being reflective, for me, may bring about more lasting change, which might be the point. I probably need coffee, right ;)

You're quite an example, Jean Marie :)

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Catholic here, I have chosen to give up something I do a lot of times but won't mention here out of shame just to teach myself self-control and because I feel I need to give something back, haven't gone to a church in a while (about a year, I think) so this is some sort of retribution.
which fits into the change thing I'm talking about, Max. you're talking about a lasting effect type of thing. not something that you're only going to do for a month, like say, sugar. that's what I'm trying to explain.

Last edited:

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I don't think God would want me to put something down that would distract me from the whole thing. If something is "bad" for you, you should try to eliminate it from your life rather than torture yourself with it once a year. If it's a reflective time then TV is a good thing to give up. It's hard to reflect on things with the devil in your ear.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Lent's not celebratory, it's a reflective time. It's not about necessarily giving things up, imo, if that helps. Unless of course, that's your spiritual aim.

Yes, the no meat on Fridays still holds.

Yes, I'm Catholic.

Easter is celebratory :D

See what I mean? hehe Personally I designate my own reflective time, but I'm also big on anything that helps someone spiritually. So if Lent helps, all the power to it.

Either way, I'll be celebrating Ostara.

Status
Not open for further replies.