Seven Year Old Girl’s Room in 1982?

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
I need to describe a middle class or upper-working class bedroom for a seven year old girl in 1982, even if furnished new in 1975, or as most of us do, replace the crib with big-kids bed maybe in 79 or 81 about the time for kindergarten?

I need identifying traits, toys or dolls of the period? Drape patterns or quilt & bed clothes patterns, something of pop culture, or even timely second hand that I can use to bring the reader back with just a mention, a few short words or a phrase that nails down that room to mark it as a distinctive memory. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Robin

What have I gotten myself into?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbridges.com
A Barbie Dream House. My best friend had one and I was soooo jealous. I had a handmade quilt, but I remember a friend with a purple, flowery canopy bed. I was jealous of her, too.

MMcDonald64

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I think that was the year that Cabbage Patch dolls were huge. My sister just turned 8 that year and my boyfriend worked at a toy store. My family kept bugging him about when a new shipment would come in. It might have been 83 though. Hmm...

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
What country?

I was going to say the Northeast, but come to think of it Your Country would be far more appropriate.

Ohio, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee our little country of it's own!

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
At least one or two stuffed animals from when she was younger.

The bedspread should be in a 'girl' color. Pink, maybe or light purple or light blue. There should be a couple of matching throw pillows.

She could have a small collection of horse statuettes.

Even if the room has carpet, there might be a decorative rug in it.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
I'd check the release dates of Cabbage Patch Dolls and Strawberry Shortcake - both were huge near that time but I'm not sure about the exact dates.

I was also crazy about unicorns and had ballerina wallpaper.

trickywoo

Registered
Reaction score
Rainbow Brite and My Little Pony.

I think canopy beds were big then - lots of pastels. Good luck!

survivor73

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.survivor73.blogspot.com
I actually have a picture from my room back then. ( i was 7 ) E.T. came out in 1982, I had an ET doll, cabbage patch kids, raggedy ann doll, barbies everywhere, and this was also the time that coca cola stuff was cool, like the shirts.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I was 7 in 1982, I sure was. And my room was full of dollies. Strawberry Shortcake. Rainbow Bright. Pound Puppies. Cabbage Patch Kids. Actually I got my first CPK later in life, I think I was 8 or 9. I had 3. Heidi, Ned and Beatrice. Beatrice was a preemie. hehe. Oh my Gawd did I just remember the names of my CPK's??? I also had a Baby Alive doll. You could feed her and she would pee and poop. The Getalong Gang was big. Poochie was a favorite. Hello Kitty was really big in 82-84.

I had a twin bed with brass head and footboards. My curtains were plain, wooley drapes. With strings to pull/open.

When I was a toddler, I had Raggedy Ann wallpaper. And half of a bunk bed - big thick wooden head/foot boards. Thats really all I can remember.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had barbies, smurfs, lots of stuffed toys and white canopybed, with lavendar flower bed spread and canopy. I even had a smurfette suitcase and accessories. my bed set had a bed, night stand, dresser with mirror and desk. It was a second hand set but I loved it.

Izunya

Registered
Reaction score
Rainbow Brite and My Little Pony.

Second the My Little Pony. Also Care Bears.

I was three in 1982, but I remember that when I was four or five, I had my own record player—a sort of a toy, really—for read-aloud books. A lot of them were put out by Disney and they had a chime or a cutesy noise when it was time to turn the page. Oh, and it had two speeds. If you played the black records on high speed it sounded like chipmunks; if you played the yellow records on low speed they sounded like whales. A seven-year-old might think that's totally babies' stuff—seven-year-olds can read—but that doesn't mean the record player won't still be sitting there.

I mention this because they still have My Little Ponies, but record players kind of mark a different era.

Izunya

BookStop

Registered
Reaction score
In 1982 canopy beds were very popular, especially with ruffles, white on white was the choice for my best friend at the time. We played with our Strawberry Shortcake dolls, and Barbies of course. Ken had been ousted out of favor by a Barbie sized Luke Skywalker doll. Cabbage Patch dolls weren't populr until summer 1983, although they probably existed in '82, just not the 'it' toy until '83. I had an ET poster and a poster of Shaun Cassidy from the Hardy boys :)

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Princess Leia!! Easybake oven. Barbie Dreamhouse, yes :)

And I did have one of those record players that you could fold up and buckle like luggage, secondhand from the 70's, with red and white psychodelic checks for a pattern :)

Aesposito

Registered
Reaction score
I was all about Barbies at that time.....

Audrey

CarolSanDiego

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carolcallicotte.com
I was 8 that year - had a ton of Strawberry Shortcake stuff. Ugly 70s poop-brown carpet, doors and closet doors in the house (built in the mid 70s) all were made of faux-dark brown wood. I had a Strawberry Shortcake bedspread and curtains for a while, then graduated to an obnoxious khaki, green, and rose colored floral patterned set. I think this must be before mini-blinds, or at least we didn't have them - just a heavy fabric blind that rolled up, but always got stuck down. I had a three level basket hanging from the ceiling full of stuffed animals, and a few oversized ones in the room. I was jealous of my friends who had canopy beds - those were so cool. A lot of friends had Barbie dolls and my little pony stuff. I would sneak in to play with my brother's Star Wars and GI Joe toys, but don't tell him. I wasn't allowed to do that.

ABekah

Registered
Reaction score
Currently? Walks over to check address book...Mar
I was 5 in 1982. My room had a pastel yellow crocheted bedspread, with clowns. The wooden furniture was hand-me-down, but in good condition. Lined across my dresser (tucked into the mirror) were wallet photos of my friends from school. I had a record player. There was a poster of a kitten and/or duckling in someone's front pocket that said something inspirational...don't remember exactly what. I had a baby bed and dolls. Barbie dream house at some point. Barbie swimming pool. Strawberry shortcake, cabbage patch dolls. But yes, check the dates for specific toys. I had a table and little folding chairs to sit at and color on. The chairs also doubled as stools so I could reach stuff up high in my closet.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
My older girl was born around that time. I remember stringing a triangular net in one corner of her room, to hold all the stuffed animals she had. They'd overflowed the laundry basket she kept them in, long before, so the net was necessary.

Her favorites included Corduroy Bear, an Ewok I think it was, and one of those cheapo little animals that you win by putting 50 cents in a claw machine in a penny arcade. Her dad won that for her, and she still has it. She's in her 20s now.

Mike Martyn

Registered
Reaction score
My daughter had a canopy bed about that time. At least she pretended it was a canopy bed. In reality, the canopy was really the top bunk occupied by her younger sister who would TOUCH HER STUFF!!! Major mayhem would ensue. Eventually we added another bedroom.

Hesperides

Bloody love
Registered
Reaction score
I live in TN :) All my friends had day beds - white metal.

Glow Worm. Remember him. yeah.

I also say My Little Pony.

As far as decoration... my room was a weird shade of burgandy with accents of dusty blue and green. My room was white except for one wall that had wallpaper with those colors in a weird wave pattern. There was a big wooden bed. The comforter was the burgandy on one side and a lighter dusty burgandy on the other. I was 3, so I can't help a whole lot, but there you go :)

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Many Thanks

Thank you everyone who took the time to respond. I have a great picture in my head now of the way the room should look, the furniture, the toys and dolls. I can really see it. It's a sleep-over scene, so the room obviously belongs to one girl, and the other is a primary (grade) school mate. I think there's going to have to be two separate bunks, and a night-lite? Hmmm, maybe the image isn't all there yet, but it's a ton closer with all of your help!