PDA

View Full Version : Seven Year Old Girl’s Room in 1982?

KellyAssauer
02-24-2009, 06:18 PM
I need to describe a middle class or upper-working class bedroom for a seven year old girl in 1982, even if furnished new in 1975, or as most of us do, replace the crib with big-kids bed maybe in 79 or 81 about the time for kindergarten?

I need identifying traits, toys or dolls of the period? Drape patterns or quilt & bed clothes patterns, something of pop culture, or even timely second hand that I can use to bring the reader back with just a mention, a few short words or a phrase that nails down that room to mark it as a distinctive memory. Any help is greatly appreciated!

alleycat
02-24-2009, 06:29 PM
What country?

Robin
02-24-2009, 07:09 PM
A Barbie Dream House. My best friend had one and I was soooo jealous. I had a handmade quilt, but I remember a friend with a purple, flowery canopy bed. I was jealous of her, too.

MMcDonald64
02-24-2009, 07:24 PM
I think that was the year that Cabbage Patch dolls were huge. My sister just turned 8 that year and my boyfriend worked at a toy store. My family kept bugging him about when a new shipment would come in. It might have been 83 though. Hmm...

KellyAssauer
02-24-2009, 07:32 PM
What country?

I was going to say the Northeast, but come to think of it Your Country would be far more appropriate.

Ohio, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee our little country of it's own!

FennelGiraffe
02-24-2009, 07:38 PM
Strawberry Shortcake

StephanieFox
02-24-2009, 08:16 PM
At least one or two stuffed animals from when she was younger.

The bedspread should be in a 'girl' color. Pink, maybe or light purple or light blue. There should be a couple of matching throw pillows.

She could have a small collection of horse statuettes.

Even if the room has carpet, there might be a decorative rug in it.

Barb D
02-24-2009, 09:32 PM
http://www.liketotally80s.com/80s-toys.html

Kathleen42
02-24-2009, 09:38 PM
I'd check the release dates of Cabbage Patch Dolls and Strawberry Shortcake - both were huge near that time but I'm not sure about the exact dates.

I was also crazy about unicorns and had ballerina wallpaper.

trickywoo
02-24-2009, 09:39 PM
Rainbow Brite and My Little Pony.

I think canopy beds were big then - lots of pastels. Good luck!

Cyia
02-24-2009, 09:40 PM
Pound Puppies. Rainbow Brite. Nosy Bears. If she was toyboy, GI Joe, Transformers, and Star Wars.

survivor73
02-24-2009, 09:57 PM
I actually have a picture from my room back then. ( i was 7 ) E.T. came out in 1982, I had an ET doll, cabbage patch kids, raggedy ann doll, barbies everywhere, and this was also the time that coca cola stuff was cool, like the shirts.

jennifer75
02-24-2009, 10:01 PM
I was 7 in 1982, I sure was. And my room was full of dollies. Strawberry Shortcake. Rainbow Bright. Pound Puppies. Cabbage Patch Kids. Actually I got my first CPK later in life, I think I was 8 or 9. I had 3. Heidi, Ned and Beatrice. Beatrice was a preemie. hehe. Oh my Gawd did I just remember the names of my CPK's??? I also had a Baby Alive doll. You could feed her and she would pee and poop. The Getalong Gang was big. Poochie was a favorite. Hello Kitty was really big in 82-84.

I had a twin bed with brass head and footboards. My curtains were plain, wooley drapes. With strings to pull/open.

When I was a toddler, I had Raggedy Ann wallpaper. And half of a bunk bed - big thick wooden head/foot boards. Thats really all I can remember.

sassandgroove
02-24-2009, 10:02 PM
I had barbies, smurfs, lots of stuffed toys and white canopybed, with lavendar flower bed spread and canopy. I even had a smurfette suitcase and accessories. my bed set had a bed, night stand, dresser with mirror and desk. It was a second hand set but I loved it.

Izunya
02-24-2009, 10:07 PM
Rainbow Brite and My Little Pony.

Second the My Little Pony. Also Care Bears.

I was three in 1982, but I remember that when I was four or five, I had my own record player—a sort of a toy, really—for read-aloud books. A lot of them were put out by Disney and they had a chime or a cutesy noise when it was time to turn the page. Oh, and it had two speeds. If you played the black records on high speed it sounded like chipmunks; if you played the yellow records on low speed they sounded like whales. A seven-year-old might think that's totally babies' stuff—seven-year-olds can read—but that doesn't mean the record player won't still be sitting there.

I mention this because they still have My Little Ponies, but record players kind of mark a different era.

Izunya

MMcDonald64
02-25-2009, 12:14 AM
At least one or two stuffed animals from when she was younger.

A few? From when she was younger? Hmm...(looks at eight year old daughter's room with a huge bin of stuffed animals.) ;)

BookStop
02-25-2009, 01:13 AM
In 1982 canopy beds were very popular, especially with ruffles, white on white was the choice for my best friend at the time. We played with our Strawberry Shortcake dolls, and Barbies of course. Ken had been ousted out of favor by a Barbie sized Luke Skywalker doll. Cabbage Patch dolls weren't populr until summer 1983, although they probably existed in '82, just not the 'it' toy until '83. I had an ET poster and a poster of Shaun Cassidy from the Hardy boys :)

backslashbaby
02-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Princess Leia!! Easybake oven. Barbie Dreamhouse, yes :)

And I did have one of those record players that you could fold up and buckle like luggage, secondhand from the 70's, with red and white psychodelic checks for a pattern :)

Aesposito
02-25-2009, 06:24 PM
I was all about Barbies at that time.....

Audrey

CarolSanDiego
02-25-2009, 10:51 PM
I was 8 that year - had a ton of Strawberry Shortcake stuff. Ugly 70s poop-brown carpet, doors and closet doors in the house (built in the mid 70s) all were made of faux-dark brown wood. I had a Strawberry Shortcake bedspread and curtains for a while, then graduated to an obnoxious khaki, green, and rose colored floral patterned set. I think this must be before mini-blinds, or at least we didn't have them - just a heavy fabric blind that rolled up, but always got stuck down. I had a three level basket hanging from the ceiling full of stuffed animals, and a few oversized ones in the room. I was jealous of my friends who had canopy beds - those were so cool. A lot of friends had Barbie dolls and my little pony stuff. I would sneak in to play with my brother's Star Wars and GI Joe toys, but don't tell him. I wasn't allowed to do that.

ABekah
02-25-2009, 11:07 PM
I was 5 in 1982. My room had a pastel yellow crocheted bedspread, with clowns. The wooden furniture was hand-me-down, but in good condition. Lined across my dresser (tucked into the mirror) were wallet photos of my friends from school. I had a record player. There was a poster of a kitten and/or duckling in someone's front pocket that said something inspirational...don't remember exactly what. I had a baby bed and dolls. Barbie dream house at some point. Barbie swimming pool. Strawberry shortcake, cabbage patch dolls. But yes, check the dates for specific toys. I had a table and little folding chairs to sit at and color on. The chairs also doubled as stools so I could reach stuff up high in my closet.

Deb Kinnard
02-26-2009, 02:04 AM
My older girl was born around that time. I remember stringing a triangular net in one corner of her room, to hold all the stuffed animals she had. They'd overflowed the laundry basket she kept them in, long before, so the net was necessary.

Her favorites included Corduroy Bear, an Ewok I think it was, and one of those cheapo little animals that you win by putting 50 cents in a claw machine in a penny arcade. Her dad won that for her, and she still has it. She's in her 20s now.

Mike Martyn
02-26-2009, 07:57 AM
My daughter had a canopy bed about that time. At least she pretended it was a canopy bed. In reality, the canopy was really the top bunk occupied by her younger sister who would TOUCH HER STUFF!!! Major mayhem would ensue. Eventually we added another bedroom.

Hesperides
02-26-2009, 08:15 AM
I live in TN :) All my friends had day beds - white metal.

Glow Worm. Remember him. yeah.

I also say My Little Pony.

As far as decoration... my room was a weird shade of burgandy with accents of dusty blue and green. My room was white except for one wall that had wallpaper with those colors in a weird wave pattern. There was a big wooden bed. The comforter was the burgandy on one side and a lighter dusty burgandy on the other. I was 3, so I can't help a whole lot, but there you go :)

KellyAssauer
03-06-2009, 04:38 PM
Thank you everyone who took the time to respond. I have a great picture in my head now of the way the room should look, the furniture, the toys and dolls. I can really see it. It's a sleep-over scene, so the room obviously belongs to one girl, and the other is a primary (grade) school mate. I think there's going to have to be two separate bunks, and a night-lite? Hmmm, maybe the image isn't all there yet, but it's a ton closer with all of your help!

sirensix
03-10-2009, 05:30 AM
I was 6 years old in 1982. Cabbage Patch Dolls had literally just begun being mass produced that year, so most kids wouldn't have one. My Little Ponies were not around either, as I discovered them when I was 7 or 8 I think, and there were only 6 different ones when I discovered them (Minty, Butterscotch, Snuzzle, Bluebell, and Blossom). [Edit to add - they came out in 1983, so no My Little Ponies!] Strawberry Shortcake is a safe bet, as I remember playing with them at this age. Depending on if your girl has a tomboyish streak, Star Wars action figures were big at this time.

The latest Disney Movie was "The Fox and the Hound," so she might have a plushie of one or both of those little guys (the fox is named Tod and the hound is named Copper).

I had classic Milton Bradley stuff like "Ants in the Pants" and "Barrel of Monkeys." I also had Legos galore. And let's not forget Hungry Hungry Hippo!

My room had twin beds with rainbow bedspreads and big shiny paper rainbows attached to the wall above each bed. Loads of stuffed animals on the shelves.

blackrose602
03-30-2009, 09:46 PM
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but if you're still working on the scene, I wanted to mention something NOT to add. Dinosaur anything. I was 6 in 1982, and I was way into dinosaurs. The only problem was that you couldn't buy anything. At all. No toys, no t-shirts, no stuffed animals, no games, nothing. My mom made me a stuffed green dinosaur, which became my prize possession for years. It's weird to think about now, with the huge popularity of dinosaur stuff, but then, there was literally nothing. Of course, if you want to give one of the girls a quirk, a handmade stuffed dinosaur would be a talking point ;)

Other than that I agree with everything that's been said. Rainbows were huge, pastels, stuffed animals, unicorns. Friendship beads were really big then, we used to put them on our shoelaces...maybe the girls could do that at the sleepover. My whole room was done in Holly Hobbie. A bit of a 1970s throwback, but I loved it.

I always hated pink, but I loved light blue. My canopy bed started out white a few years prior, but I think by 1982 we had painted it light blue. I also had a very cool bedside table with a built-in magazine rack. The table was light blue, with a hand-painted horse on the table top.

CoriSCapnSkip
03-31-2009, 12:15 PM
Strawberry Shortcake

The two main words you need here.

gitcheygoo
03-31-2009, 12:29 PM
I was 10, had all white furniture (had that since i was 5ish) and it had the desk built in.(i was writting then too), Barbies were the thing I had all the Enid Blyton books, white wall paper with little red roses. I had a doona, not blankets, and sad to say, my walls were covered in Uncanny x men pictures, kids in the kitchen and Bruce Spingsteen. I still like the Bruce!

mdin
03-31-2009, 07:55 PM
Hey, it's one of my favorite subjects. Old toys!

I don't so much any more, but I used to collect, buy and sell toys and board games, so this is a subject dear to my heart. I'm more into toys for boys, but for girls...

Barbies of course.

Like someone else mentioned, she wouldn't have either Cabbage Patch Kids or My Little Ponies in 1982. Remember all the videos of parents going crazy over Cabbage Patch stuff? That was for xmas of '83. My Little Ponies were 83 as well.

E.T. came out in June of 1982, and the marketing of toys and t-shirt immediately before and after was absolutely huge. I remember all the kids in the neighborhood walking around with their E.T. shirts, and they were the coolest kids on the block.

Like someone mentioned, you can't go wrong with Strawberry Shortcake. 81/82 were her stomping grounds.

The huge toy of Christmas in 1982 was the glo-worm, which is still popular today.

Another popular toy was Smurfs. The cartoon came out in 81, and those little 2" figurines were all over the place in 82.

An middle class girl might also collect Breyer Horses. At seven, she might just be getting into collecting them and keeping them, depending on how mature she is.

And of course... games! Lots and lots of games. You would walk into people's rooms, and they would invariably have a pile of 6-7 boxes sitting there. Connect 4, Uno, Operation, Yahtzee were all older games still popular in 1982.

In the early 80's a big (huge) fad was sticker albums. Kids would collect stickers and place them in photo albums to show off and trade. Scratch and Sniff stickers were popular.

And of course, the holy grail... more for boys than girls, but many girls still had them.

The Atari 2600. The ultimate toy that would change the world.