A racial question (personal relationships, Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
If a white person likes black people it's said that they have Jungle Fever, it sounds a little racist, but if you've been-there-done-that you understand it's not. Anyway, if it's a black person into white people, is that called something?
If there is something about it I can't find it on the computer.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Uncle Tom.

Just kidding. :) I don't know.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Is that what "Jungle Fever" means? I'm obviously not equipped to help you here.

:)

indiriverflow

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.blues4kali.com
A wealth of disturbing slang referring to the lucky lady involved:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=black+dude+white+chick

disclosure:this link leads to a listing of terms both misogynistic and racist. Provided for research purposes only.

But no, in popular culture "Jungle Fever" is used to describe either side of an interracial attraction. In that, it is not so racist.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
A wealth of disturbing slang referring to the lucky lady involved:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=black+dude+white+chick

disclosure:this link leads to a listing of terms both misogynistic and racist. Provided for research purposes only.

But no, in popular culture "Jungle Fever" is used to describe either side of an interracial attraction. In that, it is not so racist.
Yeah, I guess it is. If they're all bad I'd rather not click the link though, we heard them all. I made up a few of my own.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
In the show "The Jeffersons" George used to call them Zebras. I wonder if that was just a joke because I've never heard the term outside of that.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If a white person likes black people it's said that they have Jungle Fever, it sounds a little racist, but if you've been-there-done-that you understand it's not. Anyway, if it's a black person into white people, is that called something?

Yeah, to quote Stevie:

I've got jungle fever, she's got jungle fever
We've got jungle fever, we're in love
She's gone black-boy crazy, I've gone white-girl hazy
Ain't no thinking maybe, we're in love
She's got jungle fever, I've got jungle fever
We've got jungle fever, we're in love
I've gone white-girl crazy, she's gone black-boy hazy
We're each other's baby, we're in love

So the term definitely works for both parties. The only other inoffensive thing I can think of is sometimes I say 'He likes a little cream in his coffee' and then the reverse, which is sort of stupid but amuses me anyways, 'She likes a little coffee in her cream'. I'm white and my partner of five years is black, and I've never heard any others. Maybe if you rent the movie they would use some other ones?

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Brindle Chase

Dancing on the edge
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.forlorn-hope.net
Why does it need a term? One human likes another... if I were writing it, I wouldnt play the race card at all. Each character would be defined... including their race, but if two characters began a romance, I wouldnt define it as something other than romance, just because the two characters were of different races. *shrugs*

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why does it need a term? One human likes another... if I were writing it, I wouldnt play the race card at all. Each character would be defined... including their race, but if two characters began a romance, I wouldnt define it as something other than romance, just because the two characters were of different races. *shrugs*

Well, I'm guessing these silly terms aren't going to be in the narration, but in the dialogue of the characters observing the relationship. I can think of a zillion situations in which it makes perfect sense for a character to comment on the fact that other characters are in an interracial couple.

Brindle Chase

Dancing on the edge
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.forlorn-hope.net
Well, I'm guessing these silly terms aren't going to be in the narration, but in the dialogue of the characters observing the relationship. I can think of a zillion situations in which it makes perfect sense for a character to comment on the fact that other characters are in an interracial couple.

Ahh, dialogue. Yeah, I can see that. Thank you!

CarnalPIE

... instead I sleep.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I was gonna say, just because we the author aren't racist doesn't mean every character in everyone one of our novels isn't. That's not a realistic view of the world.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Race is very important to the book I'm working on.
ETA: I'm old I don't know if you are. But it was a big deal not a very long time ago, especially in relationships.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

ETA: I'm old I don't know if you are. But it was a big deal not a very long time ago, especially in relationships.

It was illegal to marry, within the living memory of many of our members.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score

Yeah, I was gonna say, just because we the author aren't racist doesn't mean every character in everyone one of our novels isn't. That's not a realistic view of the world.
Furthermore, a character doesn't have to be racist to notice or mention the races of other characters.

CarnalPIE

... instead I sleep.
Registered
Reaction score
True. But do you ever find it odd when someone is telling you about an encounter they had with a stranger and mention the stranger's race even though it has nothing to do with the story? Are they just being descriptive, as we do in a novel, or are they racist to go out of their way to mention it?

Brindle Chase

Dancing on the edge
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.forlorn-hope.net

I'm old enough... sadly. I understand. I think I misinterpreted the question. I was referrring to the authors narrative voice, not the characters within the book. If you're speaking of the authors voice, then I advise caution. Using potentially racist terms where they aren't needed, just because it fits the period, is dangerous. =)

An example. If we're talking 70's (yes I remember them... ug!)... the term jungle fever would be appropriate to be used in a character's dialogue or thoughts. If its third person, the narrative shouldn't use that term, because now its the author's racist viewpoint and not of the period... IMHO. To me, its racist or not, depending on the viewpoint it is expressed within. Whether its the authors view or the characters... make sense?

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I was leading up to a playful mental thought, but I think Jungle fever works.

JS Emuakpor

I lurk. Therefore, I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
afrocentricbooks.com
In the show "The Jeffersons" George used to call them Zebras. I wonder if that was just a joke because I've never heard the term outside of that.
There was a movie starring Michael Rappaport, in which he dated a black woman. It was called "Zebrahead" so I guess you can call the collective members of an interracial relationship a zebra.

I believe these both refer to someone who is black but 'acts like a white person', however one would define such, rather than a black person who is attracted to white people. But yeah, not nice.
I think Oreo goes deeper than merely "acting white". People call me an Oreo - even some white people - and I don't take offense to it. Obviously I'm not black on the outside and white on the inside, but socially, you could say that I am.

Most people have preconcieved notions of how other races behave. The "bad" occurs when these preconcieved notions take a derogatory turn.

The fact that I relate more to white Americans than to black Americans clearly illustrates that there are cultural differences between the various races. Although, I think the chasm between the cultures is wider when the various races exist within the same country.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
I remember Halle Barry saying she once received a package of Oreos in the mail (or someone stuffed them in her mailbox). And she implied it's because she had a white parent and a black parent.

Deleted member 42

True. But do you ever find it odd when someone is telling you about an encounter they had with a stranger and mention the stranger's race even though it has nothing to do with the story? Are they just being descriptive, as we do in a novel, or are they racist to go out of their way to mention it?

I think it's unconscious bigotry/prejudice.

It's like when we refer to a "lady doctor," when the sex of the physician is not actually relevant information.

Or when--I've had this happen--someone is telling me about a student and says "he's [black/gay/catholic]" in a discussion regarding what the studnet has and has not done in terms of completing assignments, for instance.

It's something we can learn not to do though; to not add extraneous information--note that sometimes it may be relevant, but mostly, it's not.

Status
Not open for further replies.