Big Flaw discovered in Adobe

darryl

Céline can fly, not I!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celines-friends.org
There is a big problem in the way ADOBE pdf readers work. Basically, the flaw causes a fault that allows a hacker to install spyware or worse on your computer. It's bad, and already being used by hackers.

The 2 biggest problems with this one are:

1) The current antivirus programs DON'T detect it, even if you have weekly updates on the detection pattern files.

2) It will be March 11 before Adobe fixes the problem in the most current adobe reader/acrobat stuff, but many people are using older versions of reader, and those fixes are 'shortly afterwards'. That's probably at least 1 week later, and of course, who is going to know they have to update it?

I would be extremely careful of any pdf's sent.

Details at:
http://www.adobe.com/support/security/advisories/apsa09-01.html

Be VERY VERY careful of this one- since everyone uses PDF's. It could quickly find it's way into many businesses.

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Well, darn. I didn't know this but I needed to. I'll look into foxit.

Meanwhile (and for IE users) -- if you can get your link to show in a google search page, there's an html option that allows bypassing Adobe Reader.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Believe it or not, Microsoft does not hold a patent on security holes.

Adam Israel

Formerly known as StoneTable
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adamisrael.com
That is a big relief. Any word on whether this virus attacks Macs? My understanding has been that no virus can attack both systems, which is why Macs are innoculated.

Technically, this isn't a virus. :)

From the security bulletin above, it affects all platforms using the Adobe Reader/Acrobat software.

Be very careful, folks. As always, be careful opening files from untrusted sources (a bit like eating a piece of candy found lying in the street -- it may look good but you don't know where it's been).

indiriverflow

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.blues4kali.com
Technically, this isn't a virus. :)

From the security bulletin above, it affects all platforms using the Adobe Reader/Acrobat software.

Be very careful, folks. As always, be careful opening files from untrusted sources (a bit like eating a piece of candy found lying in the street -- it may look good but you don't know where it's been).

Right, it's not a virus. More like a crowded hospital waiting room.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll use Preview. Faster anyway.

Fulk

Occasional Contributer
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder how long this has been an issue. I think I'm misunderstanding the problem, though. In order for any harm to be done, they would have to install more spyware/baddies onto your computer, right? Most of which would be detectable. So I suppose that's a relief.

felipe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
intribu.org
I use FoxIt Reader, I got tired of Adobe crashing my browser each time I accidentally opened a pdf on line.

This is very light and there are versions that don't even require installation.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score